English (Naïve)
French(Intermediate)
Italian(Intermediate)
Polish(In Alcatraz)

Re: L3 is easier, but is it quicker?

Postby lusan » Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:36 pm

Glossy wrote:
David27 wrote: your age (controversial)

Well, I'm on the side of this controversy that says that one's ability to learn declines continuously from birth till death. Don't hurt me folks, we all have opinions. This isn't even a political one.

But yeah, I think that applies to learning musical instruments, etc., not just languages. I vaguely recall reading that a bird that's never flown as a chick will never learn to fly as an adult. The critical period has passed, the brain's plasticity went down.

It takes years to really master a language. If you're doing them sequentially, by the time you get to the next one your brain's plasticity has declined substantially. All else equal, it will be harder than last time.

Will it be easier for you to learn L3 at 35 than for a different person to learn L2 at 35? Let's say that you're both learning languages that have no relationship to those you already speak. My intuition tells me that it will be a little easier for the already bilingual person. But I'm less confident about that than about the age effect.

Maybe... I am 65 year old. I took French seriously, 2 years ago and I can manage well. I guess it depends of our native language. My first language is Spanish and my second English... so I suppose I get some help from them. Polish has been a difficult battle done only because my wife is Polish. Otherwise... I would not take that journey.
1 x
Italian, polish, and French dance
FSI Basic French Lessons : 10 / 24 17 of 24 goal

leosmith
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (adv)
French (int)
German (int)
Japanese (int)
Korean (int)
Mandarin (int)
Portuguese (int)
Russian (int)
Swahili (int)
Tagalog (int)
Thai (int)

Postby leosmith » Sat Nov 28, 2020 4:07 am

samfrances wrote:does this mean merely that it feels like less of an effort, or does it also take less time to reach a given level of fluency (all else being equal)?

As others have said, the thing that makes you faster is learning what works for you and modifying your method to become more efficient. So I was about to answer "yes". But then I thought, wait a second "all else being equal" means you don't modify your method, so my answer is "no".

Of course, there is no such thing as "all else being equal" in language learning, and in addition to other obvious important stuff that could be unequal like motivation, I doubt anyone could cast aside improvements to their techniques just to keep things equal. So I officially change my answer to "maybe".

Glossy wrote:I'm on the side of this controversy that says that one's ability to learn declines continuously from birth

tomos1729 wrote:you get better at learning

I'm glad we are all in agreement. Maybe it is!
2 x
https://languagecrush.com/reading - try our free multi-language reading tool

Dragon27
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)
English - best foreign language
Polish, Spanish - passive advanced
Tatar, German, French, Greek - studying

Postby Dragon27 » Sat Nov 28, 2020 7:05 am

Glossy wrote:But yeah, I think that applies to learning musical instruments, etc., not just languages. I vaguely recall reading that a bird that's never flown as a chick will never learn to fly as an adult. The critical period has passed, the brain's plasticity went down.

That's a shaky analogy. A bird that has never learned to fly can be compared to a feral child that has never learned a human language, but not to a normally developed human who has learned at least one (their native) language.
4 x

El Forastero
Orange Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), French (C1), English (C1), Italian (C1), Portuguese (C1), German (Beginner), Russian (beginner), Wayuunaiki (Beginner)

Postby El Forastero » Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:02 am

The problem of this question is what exactly you are comparing?

If the question is: "is your L3 quicker than your L2", the answer could be "Who knows!". There are several variables involved as people have already discussed. In my case, my L6 has been by far the slowest if the languages I have ever studied and my L5 has been the quickest so far. L6: Russian, L5: Italian

If the question is "Would your L3 be quicker to learn if it were your L2?", the answer is definitely yes.
0 x
Please correct my errors in any tongue.
Visit my blog (In spanish)
Visit my youtube channel (In spanish)
: 4 / 10 10 C1 before being 55 years old
Are you looking for an online spanish tutor?

kelvin921019
Green Belt
Languages: Cantonese (N)
Chinese Mandarin (Semi-Native)
English (C1-2)
Spanish (B2)
Japanese (N1)
Russian (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16306

Postby kelvin921019 » Mon Nov 30, 2020 3:35 am

Depends. The speed of acquisition depends on a lot of factors and experience is only part of it.
Nevertheless, when you have the experience of going through a L2 from 0 to automatic (B2 or above), you will know what to expect ahead in your L3 journey and perhaps even what to do. It at least eliminates your fear of not getting anywhere and keeps you going.
1 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”