Literature Map

General discussion about learning languages
MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Literature Map

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Sun Nov 22, 2020 11:10 pm

The Literature Map clusters authors similar to each other.
Typing in Agatha Christie, for example, brings up in her vicinity Conan Doyle and a bit further off Alexandre Dumas. Conan Doyle is definitely similar to Christie, though perhaps Dumas not so much.
Can't swear to it, but these groupings come I believe from Amazon sales figures. Customers who tend to buy Christie also tend to buy Conan Doyle, and so on.
Anyway, if you are looking for a splendid way to find new authors or just to waste some time, here you go.
12 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

dampingwire
Blue Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (N), French (poor, not studying), Japanese (studying, JLPT N3)

Re: Literature Map

Postby dampingwire » Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:50 am

I tried Calvino and Lampedusa but no-one close to the was Italian. If it is based on Amazon then I assume that it's based on US/UK/AUS Amazon?
2 x
新完全マスター N2聴解 : 94 / 103新完全マスター N2読解 : 99 / 177
新完全マスター N2文法 : 197 / 197TY Comp. German : 0 / 389

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
• Native: English
• Advanced: French
• Intermediate: German,
   Spanish, Hebrew
• Beginner: Italian,
   Arabic

Postby Deinonysus » Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:04 am

I got weirdly different results for Ibsen depending on whether I searched "Ibsen" or "Henrik Ibsen". For instance, with just "Ibsen" one of the closest results was Gottfried Leibniz. Hmm, what's something similar I can read after I'm done with my modernist Scandinavian drama? Oh, I know! How about a philosophical treatise in Latin by the German calculus guy!

There was also an option for "Hendrik [sic] Ibsen". Apparently if you like that guy you should check out Jane Austen.

But in all seriousness, it seems like a pretty cool and fun tool.
2 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:20 am

MorkTheFiddle wrote:Can't swear to it, but these groupings come I believe from Amazon sales figures. Customers who tend to buy Christie also tend to buy Conan Doyle, and so on.
The Literature-Map is part of Gnod, the Global Network of Discovery.

It is based on Gnooks, Gnod's literature recommendation system. The more people like an author and another author, the closer together these two authors will move on the Literature-Map.

Gnod is a self-adapting system that learns about the outer world by asking its visitors what they like and what they don't like. In this instance of Gnod all is about literature. Gnod is kind of a search engine for literature you don't know about. It will ask you which authors you like and then think about which other authors you might like too. When I set Gnod online its database was completely empty. Now it contains tens of thousands of authors and quite some knowledge about who likes whom. And Gnod learns more every day.

https://www.gnooks.com/
5 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:03 am

I haven't bought books through Amazon for a while (and definitely not literature), but I have noticed some parallels in Youtube. I use it for music or for languages, but rarely both in one session. And I have set my browser to discard all history every time I close down, so when I start a new session in Youtube the poor thing hasn't got a clue as to what I like, but soon after it starts to propose the things I already have watched or listened to mingled with random shots into absurdity plus a few related links to things that share some topical tags somewhere in its bellow. And after a few videos the proportion of related stuff starts to go up. I have discovered quite a few otherwise unknown composers and non-fiction uploaders in that way.
3 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:34 pm

DaveAgain wrote:https://www.gnooks.com/

Thanks for the skinny about the Literature Map. A fun and useful idea, and perhaps ripe for expansion, as Iversen touches on below, to composers and bloggers.
2 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:39 pm

Iversen wrote:I haven't bought books through Amazon for a while (and definitely not literature), but I have noticed some parallels in Youtube. I use it for music or for languages, but rarely both in one session. And I have set my browser to discard all history every time I close down, so when I start a new session in Youtube the poor thing hasn't got a clue as to what I like, but soon after it starts to propose the things I already have watched or listened to mingled with random shots into absurdity plus a few related links to things that share some topical tags somewhere in its bellow. And after a few videos the proportion of related stuff starts to go up. I have discovered quite a few otherwise unknown composers and non-fiction uploaders in that way.
I browse Youtube for music, too, but its recommendations developted a habit of suggesting something I had just watched. Plus always over and over again the same recommendation that would never go away. I finally learned to make them go away simply by playing them. Like you, I turned off history, and then turned off recommendations altogether.
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”