Personalities in different languages

General discussion about learning languages
jacquemarie
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 28#p177252

Personalities in different languages

Postby jacquemarie » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:19 pm

When you speak/write in different languages, does your personality change? I've noticed it does for mine!

English (native): talkative and bold
Hindi (A2/B1): shy. Mostly ask questions or respond to questions. When I sit down to write a journal entry, my mind is blank and it can take me an hour to get down 3 things.
Spanish (A1): very talkative, can drum up paragraphs in 15-30 min. Confident.

I have no clue why I'm so shy in Hindi, perhaps some expectation I've put on myself to be perfect as it is my in-laws only language? Spanish grammar is very close to English and I previously studied Italian to a conversational level, not to mention just being exposed to it my entire life as there was a huge amount of Spanish speakers in my schools growing up. So maybe since it is more familiar to me I am progressing faster and feel more confident?
1 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Re: Personalities in different languages

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:56 pm

Related topic:
Being Bilingual

DarrenDaka wrote:What does it actually feel like though? Do you "become" a different person when you speak a different language? Do you use cultural references , idioms and proverbs just as you would if you only had one native language?
1 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

tomos1729
White Belt
Languages: Cymraeg (Native)
Deutsch (Fluent)
Italiano (probably around B2/C1)
ქართული (probably around B1)
Español (maybe B1)
English (Fluent)

Postby tomos1729 » Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:57 pm

If you learn language A and langusge B at different points in your life then quite clearly you will be different people in those languages, since any (healthy, self-aware) individual is constantly growing/changing.
2 x

Carl
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Swedish (C2), Norwegian (C1), Danish (reading only), Spanish (B2), German (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?t=16220

Postby Carl » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:00 pm

During my five months in Japan, I didn't learn huge amounts of Japanese, but one day I noticed my family was laughing at me as I spoke half in Japanese and half in English on the phone. After I hung up, they told me I'd been bowing and using other Japanese body language on the phone. I had no awareness of having done so. So to that extent, yes.

Hearsay: A friend once told me her outgoing, loud American daughter who lives in Thailand became quiet and much more feminine when speaking Thai.
5 x

cjareck
Brown Belt
Languages: Polish (N) English, German, Russian(B1?) French (B1?), Hebrew(B1?), Arabic(A2?), Mandarin (HSK 2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8589

Postby cjareck » Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:10 pm

I didn't noticed any change. I speak a lot in all languages, even if I don't know them well enough for a conversation. Any changes are due to awareness about cultural differences and that is all. That is at least my observation of the usage of Polish, English, German and Hebrew. I spoke even Russian when I was in Moscow. Of cource, it was a Polish-Russian mixture ;) I used Arabic only during LEs and my knowledge is too basic.
2 x
Please feel free to correct me in any language

Listening: 1+ (83% content, 90% linguistic)
Reading: 1 (83% content, 90% linguistic)

MSA DLI : 30 / 141ESKK : 18 / 40

Mandarin Assimil : 62 / 105

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Fri Nov 13, 2020 10:39 pm

I think I'm the same person in all my languages, and insofar I have the skills I try also to write in the same style. There are of course cases where my learning history or the state of a language plays a role, like when I use bookish verbal forms and constructions in French - but heck, my stylistic framework is written French rather than Spoken French, and it is not my fault that spoken and written French have become so different - I just prefer using the kind of French I'm most in tune with and spends most time with. On the other hand I haven't got any special historical knowledge about Scots or read much literature in Scots so there my framework is somewhat less formal. But despite such minor differences I try to keep the same slightly nerdish and ironical style in any language, including my own native Danish, because that's how I see myself (and have seen myself at least since I was five years old).
0 x

sporedandroid
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (heritage/intermediate), Hebrew (A2-B1)

Postby sporedandroid » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:03 am

I haven’t had the chance to really speak any of my target languages, so I’m not sure if my personality would be any different. I think when I spoke Spanish, my personality is about the same as English. That’s probably because Spanish is my heritage language. What I do notice is that different languages just have different vibes to me. Since I feel different when I speak different languages, I’ll probably act differently as well. I do notice I act different when I travel to other countries.
0 x

lavengro
Blue Belt
Languages: English - finally getting a handle on this beast of a language. Also tinkering with a few other languages intermittently.

Postby lavengro » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:36 am

I find that when communicating in Tlön, I become more speculative....
0 x
This signature space now on loan to the mysterious and enigmatic Breakmaster Cylinder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUGKldkiex4

El Forastero
Orange Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), French (C1), English (C1), Italian (C1), Portuguese (C1), German (Beginner), Russian (beginner), Wayuunaiki (Beginner)

Postby El Forastero » Sat Nov 14, 2020 6:55 pm

In portuguese, I am extremely extroverted, friendly and joyful. I'm not shy at all. I remembered having talked to unknown brazilian people with confidence and easiness. That's why I found Portuguese people so cold and distant when I lived there.

In english, I am sort of pretentious. Not as much as I probably could be (I'm C1) but definitely my vocabulary and grammar complexity is above the average and in real conversations I try to use an upper register even though it's not necessary at all. I'm reluctant to use informal contractions, some idioms, but enjoy a lot using obscure, latin-based, abstruse vocabulary, just for fun.

In french, I am very talkative, but not as extroverted as in portugues (For instance, I've never been to a french party, it's not appealing for me). In this language I really enjoy explaining some non-language related topics.

In Italian, even though I have a C1 certificate, I have never had much opportunities to speak with natives or other learners. I selfstudy it 100% without any kind of human contact :D . I suppose I would be similar as in portuguese in familiar topics like professional cycling (One of the reasons why I studied it).

Finally in spanish, my mother tongue, I'm very curmudgeon, I guess. I'm very reluctant to speak with strangers, even through social media. I'm not shy, I'm rather not interested.

Besides this, what I consider curious is that my voice tone changes according to the languages: In Portuguese I'm deeper and in Italian I'm higher-pitched
3 x
Please correct my errors in any tongue.
Visit my blog (In spanish)
Visit my youtube channel (In spanish)
: 4 / 10 10 C1 before being 55 years old
Are you looking for an online spanish tutor?

tarvos
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Native: NL, EN
Professional: ES, RU
Speak well: DE, FR, RO, EO, SV
Speak reasonably: IT, ZH, PT, NO, EL, CZ
Need improvement: PO, IS, HE, JP, KO, HU, FI
Passive: AF, DK, LAT
Dabbled in: BRT, ZH (SH), BG, EUS, ZH (CAN), and a whole lot more.
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/fo ... PN=1&TPN=1

Postby tarvos » Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:23 pm

I'm the same idiot in every language :)
3 x
I hope your world is kind.

Is a girl.

Return to “General Language Discussion”