How to help your significant other, spouse, etc. enjoy language-learning?

General discussion about learning languages
philomath
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (B1/B2), French (A2/B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16409

How to help your significant other, spouse, etc. enjoy language-learning?

Postby philomath » Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:54 pm

My boyfriend has expressed tentative interest in learning German with me, and I’d love for language-learning to be a hobby we can do together. I really want to find a way for us to learn German that he’ll enjoy. He’s one of those people who took a language in high school (French), but didn’t make much progress, and thinks poorly of his ability to learn foreign languages. However he really enjoys linguistics and took many linguistics courses during university. He also loves Berlin and wants to go back and be able to speak German. I’m a firm believer that a lot more people would enjoy language-learning if they just found the right methods and motivation for them. Does anyone have experience trying to help their significant other enjoy languages?
5 x
French Goals
Call My Agent: 0 / 7
Grammar review: 0 / 300
Short story: 0 / 1300

IronMike
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Russian, 3/3 (DLPT, 2021) 2+ (OPI, 2021)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT, 2019)
BCS, 3L/2+R/2S (DLPT in, oh God, 1999!)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Re: How to help your significant other, spouse, etc. enjoy language-learning?

Postby IronMike » Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:39 am

I just found your question, so sorry no one every answered you.

I was lucky in that my wife and I were both linguists in the Air Force (met in Berlin, actually!) so I already knew she was interested. Now, her Russian and German reading proficiency are still strong, but she doesn't study them, unless we have a reason. Maybe that's a way? You guys could plan a trip to Berlin (once able) and then maybe that will persuade him to study with you? When we got our assignments in Russia and Kyrgyzstan then the studying (re)started in earnest. And we both took Kyrgyz together and drilled together and had a great time. Good couple time.

Now, if the question is what methods and all that, I guess you'll have to judge that as it goes. I know for sure what didn't work for us was any pressure, either from me or from her. We each had our own ways of studying/learning, and both know what works for us.

If you find any German speakers in MA, please PM me. I'm about to start a 10-week full-time German course which'll run till end of May. Then I'd like to keep working on the language. I know there is Karl's Sausage Kitchen in Peabody, but I can only go there so many times before I run out of money. ;)
1 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.

Return to “General Language Discussion”