Bol.com to cease sending Dutch content abroad

General discussion about learning languages
vegantraveller
Yellow Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (C2), French (C2), German (B2-C1), Japanese (B2), Spanish (B2-B1), Swedish (B1). Just started: Icelandic, Romanian, Occitan/Provençal.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16482

Re: Bol.com to cease sending Dutch content abroad

Postby vegantraveller » Fri Oct 23, 2020 1:53 pm

PeterMollenburg wrote:Good suggestion, but restricted to sending to NL and BE only. They definitely don't want the Dutch language to spread!

That's a pity! Dutch is high on my language wish list, I hope to tackle it at the end of 2021.
Even though it has a strong base of native speakers, Dutch is for sure the Cinderella of European languages, superseded by less spoken ones (Swedish, for example!).
3 x
I'm a man from Italy, not an owl from Japan :mrgreen:

Please correct my errors!

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Fri Dec 11, 2020 6:06 am

vegantraveller wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:Good suggestion, but restricted to sending to NL and BE only. They definitely don't want the Dutch language to spread!

That's a pity! Dutch is high on my language wish list, I hope to tackle it at the end of 2021.
Even though it has a strong base of native speakers, Dutch is for sure the Cinderella of European languages, superseded by less spoken ones (Swedish, for example!).

Although I have likely not exhausted all options, I've just gone through a handful of options just recently and nothing. I am yet to find a Dutch bookseller in NL or BE with a decent range willing to send outside of NL/BE/LU. Very disappointing indeed. Well fortunately I put in a MASSIVE book order (i'm talking the price of a secondhand car, okay one that just goes, but very old) before bol.com shut this window down. However, now just before Christmas I was chasing something else in particular, but I can't get it anywhere. My only other option is some distant relatives that I've not done my best to keep in touch with in recent years... an unlikely option in reality.

So, it's a sad state of affairs for future Dutch learners wanting to purchase hard copies of books. I hope this changes. Maybe I'll change it myself? :?
3 x

Montmorency
Brown Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Maintaining: German (active skills lapsed somewhat).
Studying: Welsh (advanced beginner/intermediate);
Dabbling/Beginner: Czech

Back-burner: Spanish (intermediate) Norwegian (bit more than beginner) Danish (beginner).

Have studied: Latin, French, Italian, Dutch; OT Hebrew (briefly) NT Greek (briefly).
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1429

Postby Montmorency » Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:52 pm

I (in the UK) was recently unable to buy a downloadable audiobook from Thalia in Germany.

I sent them an email asking them to clarify the situation. then checking my outgoing email, I found I'd sent them almost the identical email (though for a different book) two years ago. I'd completely forgotten. Doh! I eventually got an almost identical reply, which was a very polite variation on "sorry, we can't, for licensing/copyright/whatever, reasons".

Fortunately, I found a 2nd hand version of the same audiobook on CD at Momox/Medimops (also in Germany), for a very reasonable price, which arrived in a very reasonable time. I've had good service from them in the past as well.

Thank goodness for old technology sometimes.
4 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:38 pm

Most titles people want to read - in terms of original Dutch literature and some non-fiction - are available to purchase relatively cheaply at second-hand shops here in NL (often in pristine condition having been unread or read once). If I could match up a request with an item I'd gladly send it for the carriage costs plus the nominal fee for the item.
3 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)

Postby PeterMollenburg » Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:28 am

Le Baron wrote:Most titles people want to read - in terms of original Dutch literature and some non-fiction - are available to purchase relatively cheaply at second-hand shops here in NL (often in pristine condition having been unread or read once). If I could match up a request with an item I'd gladly send it for the carriage costs plus the nominal fee for the item.

;) That's a very kind offer, Le Baron, cheers.
1 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sat Sep 17, 2022 6:46 am

Re-igniting this thread...

It's not been much of an issue for me sourcing physical Dutch books in recent times due to opting for a few Dutch magazines for reading with the kids, which was all new and shiny, and given I've still a good number of books purchased from late 2020 via bol.com before their frustrating policy came into effect (no longer sending outside BE/NL and ? Lux), until recently....

I visited this issue again and have been met with more frustrations. De Vries van Stockum (chain of independent bookstores within NL) around a year or so ago indicated they would be able to send to Australia. This has changed when I recently asked the same question to 'no, we no longer send outside of NL/BE' :evil: I then went to the Vandale.nl website, a site representing the Dutch (language) institution is probably the best way to describe it. They make some pretty decent language learning content and dictionaries for several languages. Right, looks good, I go to order (I'm chasing some hefty desk-appropriate Van Dale very large dictionaries) and no... we don't send physical items to your country. A few choice words fly out my mouth.

I then try Abebooks, Bookdepository, Fnac, amazon.com.au and keep hitting walls. 3rd party sellers can't send here is one, very old used versions of books i'm chasing (not interested), or newer versions on amazon.com.au at insanely marked up prices. Markplaats won't send outside NL and so on and so forth.

If the EU was supposed to facilitate cross border transactions/markets, well I'm not impressed.

To be continued (I guess)...

Edit: My kindle has also aided in alleviating the issue, but when I want physical books for particular things (kids reading, large dictionaries), I just can't seem to make it happen.
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:01 am

PeterMollenburg wrote:If the EU was supposed to facilitate cross border transactions/markets, well I'm not impressed

Only within the EU, it is a closed shop, and you live in a "third country".
3 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Sat Sep 17, 2022 8:50 am

PeterMollenburg wrote:I then try Abebooks, Bookdepository, Fnac, amazon.com.au and keep hitting walls. 3rd party sellers can't send here is one, very old used versions of books i'm chasing (not interested), or newer versions on amazon.com.au at insanely marked up prices. Markplaats won't send outside NL and so on and so forth. .

UK retailer Blackwells are quite good for non-English books, they have a lot of branches on university campuses.

Some UK 2nd hand dealers I've bought from via Amazon UK marketplace are World of Books, Greener books, Music Magpie and Brit books.
1 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:52 pm

rdearman wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:If the EU was supposed to facilitate cross border transactions/markets, well I'm not impressed

Only within the EU, it is a closed shop, and you live in a "third country".

Yes, it's a good point, but they actually won't even send Dutch books to other EU countries (aside from Belgium and Luxembourg).
0 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby PeterMollenburg » Sat Sep 17, 2022 12:53 pm

DaveAgain wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:I then try Abebooks, Bookdepository, Fnac, amazon.com.au and keep hitting walls. 3rd party sellers can't send here is one, very old used versions of books i'm chasing (not interested), or newer versions on amazon.com.au at insanely marked up prices. Markplaats won't send outside NL and so on and so forth. .

UK retailer Blackwells are quite good for non-English books, they have a lot of branches on university campuses.

Some UK 2nd hand dealers I've bought from via Amazon UK marketplace are World of Books, Greener books, Music Magpie and Brit books.

Thanks DaveAgain.

I'll take a look at these options, cheers.
1 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”