Italian colloquialism for "of course"?

General discussion about learning languages
Hellfrick
Languages: English (N), Spanish (2 years in high school)

Italian colloquialism for "of course"?

Postby Hellfrick » Sat Jun 27, 2020 3:15 pm

This subject heading may be misleading, since I'm not 100% sure the source is Italian. However, my father used to emphatically agree to things by saying something sounds like "Ma shu." He peppered his English with occasional German (from his mother), Italian (from his dad) and Yiddish (from friends), but it was predominantly Italian. I've only ever heard it used one other place, only one time: An old live recording of Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis, and Dean said it to Jerry.

Is anyone familiar with this expression for "of course," "certainly," etc?

(Also, please let me know if there's a better forum/thread to ask this question.)

Thanks--and stay healthy!
0 x

lavengro
Blue Belt
Languages: Taking a siesta from this site for the rest of 2024.

Re: Italian colloquialism for "of course"?

Postby lavengro » Sun Jun 28, 2020 2:48 am

Possibly "ma certo" ? That is the closest I can think of, but I'm not an Italian speaker.

I think you would have to be pretty marinated to make "ma certo" sound like "ma shu", but I understand he was not adverse to being pretty pickled much of the time. (Dean Martin, not your father.)
1 x
This signature space now dedicated to Vancouver's best - but least known - two person female power rock band:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnbymC_M1AY, ,https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Av4S6u83a0, , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ARPYVYE6Vc

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:03 pm

Maybe it's not a "colloquialism" but rather a local language feature...? Remember many Italian-American families left Italy before a lot of them would even have learned any Italian.
3 x

Doitsujin
Green Belt
Languages: German (N)

Postby Doitsujin » Sun Jun 28, 2020 1:44 pm

Hellfrick wrote:This subject heading may be misleading, since I'm not 100% sure the source is Italian. However, my father used to emphatically agree to things by saying something sounds like "Ma shu."
Hi might have said "ma sure." However, I've found only one reference for this in the book "Houses with Names": The Italian Immigrants of Highwood, Illinois:
Parenti called and asked me if I wanted to come to Kankakee. "Ma sure indemma, fin a New York." --"I'd go as far as New York."
Hopefully, a native speaker will shine some light on this.
5 x

dampingwire
Blue Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (N), French (poor, not studying), Japanese (studying, JLPT N3)

Postby dampingwire » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:00 pm

Doitsujin wrote: "ma sure."

That sounds perfectly plausible to me, a bit like "sciarappa".

It took me years to work out that when my Mum was talking about "cia place" (with place pronounced the French way) she was talking about an area called "Chapel Ash"). So mixing Italian and English (and, in my Mum's case, French-like pronunciation because her dialect is Piacentino) is, in my experience, perfectly normal. Reverse engineering it can take some time though :-)
1 x
新完全マスター N2聴解 : 94 / 103新完全マスター N2読解 : 99 / 177
新完全マスター N2文法 : 197 / 197TY Comp. German : 0 / 389

Saim
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: English
Others: Catalan, Serbian, Spanish, Polish, Hungarian, Urdu, French etc.
Main focus: German

Postby Saim » Sun Jun 28, 2020 4:12 pm

I wouldn’t be surprised to hear something like maʃɛrt (“ma shert”) or maʃɛrtə (“ma shertuh”) in Neapolitan or matʃɛrtu (“ma chertu”) in Sicilian.

According to this dictionary, “sciù” exists as an interjection in Neapolitan, equivalent to Italian “puh” (which is apparently used to express disgust or contempt).

There’s also “sciuto” (shut or shutuh), which means “came out” (“uscito” in Italian).
5 x
log

شجرِ ممنوع 152

Hellfrick
Languages: English (N), Spanish (2 years in high school)

Postby Hellfrick » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:39 am

Wow. Thanks for the wealth of suggestions to ponder! I'll run these past my mother; something here might help her remember if my father ever gave her "an origin story"!
0 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Mon Jun 29, 2020 12:49 am

Definitely seems like "ma sure" :)
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Return to “General Language Discussion”