Non-English catalogs of other streaming services (besides Netflix)?

General discussion about learning languages
linguaphile
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Portuguese, Spanish, French, Hindi, Hebrew, Italian, German. Also Nepali (dormant), and Japanese (beginner-ish)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=14205

Non-English catalogs of other streaming services (besides Netflix)?

Postby linguaphile » Fri Jun 05, 2020 12:51 am

So there's plenty of discussion in different threads about the series (in different languages) that are available on Netflix – but I was wondering if the catalogs of any of the other major streaming services have a particularly good variety of series in other languages besides English? (Especially interesting series that are not in Netflix's catalog...)

I'm finding it hard to search for this sort of info (particularly by audio language) without signing up, so if anyone has personal experience then it'd be great to know!

(I know that the catalogs do vary by country – but I'm kinda just looking for "leads" to give some direction to my own further research...)
0 x

eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Re: Non-English catalogs of other streaming services (besides Netflix)?

Postby eido » Fri Jun 05, 2020 3:38 am

There’s always Viki, for big Asian languages.
2 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Postby DaveAgain » Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:31 am

If you check the resource page of the particular language you are interested in, you may find a mention of streaming media services there.

https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =19&t=2900
0 x

tiia
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (?), Finnish (C1), Spanish (B2??), Swedish (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=2374

Postby tiia » Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:04 am

I'd recommend looking for the TV channels from a country, where the language is spoken and look, whats available there. In case of German some stuff may also be uploaded on youtube, at least documentaries quite often are.
However, you may experience restrictions based on your current location. The extent of these restrictions will vary.
1 x
Corrections for entries written in Finnish, Spanish or Swedish are welcome.
Project 30+X: 25 / 30

tungemål
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N)
English, German, Spanish, Japanese, Dutch, Polish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17672

Postby tungemål » Fri Jun 05, 2020 8:50 am

What is annoying is that I am not allowed to rent movies on e.g. Google Play Movies in other languages.
0 x

linguaphile
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Portuguese, Spanish, French, Hindi, Hebrew, Italian, German. Also Nepali (dormant), and Japanese (beginner-ish)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=14205

Postby linguaphile » Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:36 pm

eido wrote:There’s always Viki, for big Asian languages.

Thanks – I've actually recently begun to study my first "big [East] Asian language", so this will definitely help! :)

tiia wrote:I'd recommend looking for the TV channels from a country, where the language is spoken and look, whats available there. In case of German some stuff may also be uploaded on youtube, at least documentaries quite often are.

Oh, I'm definitely doing that too, and German in particular has a ton of programming made available for free streaming in the Mediatheks of the different channels. But broadcasters from some other countries don't always make nearly as much stuff available online. Also, since I've mostly focused on films in the past and am just now starting to explore TV more, I figured it was worth asking about the major "Netflix competitors" as well, which may have the advantage of somewhat "curated" content – like if I go to the ARD or ZDF Mediatheks, it can be tough to filter through the thousands of programs and try to figure out what's good/interesting (especially with a ton of things that don't interest me at all, like programs related to local politics, local celebrities, etc.)... whereas it's a bit easier to parse through something like Netflix, which I why I'm wondering if any of its competitors have some good non-English stuff too.
0 x

themethod
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (Upper Intermediate), Spanish (Upper Intermediate)

Postby themethod » Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:49 am

Amazon Prime has a decent selection for Russian, though you have to dig around for them a bit.

Where Netflix really beats them is on dubbed content.
0 x

tractor
Green Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N), English, Spanish, Catalan, French, German, Italian, Latin

Postby tractor » Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:58 am

Sometimes you can circumvent geographic restrictions by using VPN.
0 x

FyrsteSumarenINoreg
Yellow Belt
Languages: Croatian (N), proficient in Brazilian Portuguese, fluent in English (C1 IELTS band 8.0), conversant in Italian and Spanish, learning Norwegian Nynorsk, Bengali & Malayalam

Postby FyrsteSumarenINoreg » Sun Jun 07, 2020 5:19 am

tractor wrote:Sometimes you can circumvent geographic restrictions by using VPN.

Sometimes it does not work.
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”