Learning without studying grammar

General discussion about learning languages
Lawyer&Mom
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German (B2), French (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7786

Re: Learning without studying grammar

Postby Lawyer&Mom » Thu Jun 04, 2020 3:22 am

smallwhite wrote:
Lawyer&Mom wrote:
I completed Assimil

Lawyer&Mom wrote:
I only used the dialogues with Assimil.

I think it was the wise iguanamon who had warned us before that what people describe as what they do is often not what they do :lol:

I guess I should be even more specific. I finished a *passive* wave with the dialogues.
3 x
Grammaire progressive du français -
niveau debutant
: 60 / 60

Grammaire progressive du francais -
intermédiaire
: 25 / 52

Pimsleur French 1-5
: 3 / 5

lingzz_langzz
Yellow Belt
Languages: N: Polish, C: English, Spanish, Hungarian, Catalan, B: Italian, Turkish, A: Czech
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=14260

Re: Learning without studying grammar

Postby lingzz_langzz » Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:51 am

Steve wrote:The way I think of learning is this. Think about moving into a new home. At first, it's unfamiliar and strange. But each day as we live in the new home, it becomes more familiar. Our brain adapts to it. Each room becomes more and more familiar day after day. I used to think about learning in terms of Ebbinghaus graphs of remembering and forgetting facts. I now think about learning as a path from unfamiliar to familiar to mastery like getting used to living a new house. Our brain naturally does things like this.

I love this comparision, thank you for this! ;)

And yeah, to all of you being confused by my question, let me specify: I meant studying with a textbook as a method. You know, the typical thing you do in class which to me is pretty boring in case it's a new language. What I usually do is I look at the grammar even before I start learning and evaluate how hard it's gonna be to get the patterns from the sentences so in order words to see the grammar in the sentences. Then what I am doing with Greek is basically building up sentences. By repeating the verb endings I learnt them without any grammar tables.

So my point is... what are your approaches apart from the textbook method? We obviously don't do only the textbook thing but let's assume we have it as our main method, like a system. So the question is what is your system other than that one?
Some people would just spend hours listening to the language and then would start speaking, some people might do like me, learn through sentences. So I am asking really about any non-grammar centric approach :D
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”