Spanish (B1), Italian (?), Portuguese (?), Polish (?),
Arabic, Turkish, Persian, Pashto,
Hindi-Urdu, Bengali, Telugu, Tamil,
Mandarin Chinese (N), Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese,
Thai, Filipino, Malay-Indonesian, Burmese,
Soteapanec, !Xóõ, etc

learnt french the wrong way..

Postby ninuno » Sat Mar 28, 2020 2:45 am

i recently started learning turkish by watching youtube videos and the way they pronounce made me think i might've learnt french the wrong way .

in turkish things just glide like 'değil' is really just 'dil' and 'alaçağım' is just 'alaçəm' ..

I was listening to 'ma jeunesse fout le camp' then i realize french kids really learnt it as 'ma jeunèss fou le kan' .. it's almost as if 'fou le kan' came first then they add 't' and 'p' at the end in their brain.
then in the case of 'qu'en' they also seem to be able to separate 'kan' into 'qu' ' and 'en' . :?:

heres a list of homophones for late-bloomers ..

https://www.thoughtco.com/french-homoph ... ry-1371264
1 x

Querneus
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: Spanish (N), English
Studying: Latin, French, Mandarin

Re: learnt french the wrong way..

Postby Querneus » Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:22 am

Yes, all of that is correct.

The many homophones involving archaic spellings that French has are not in essence too different from the homophones of Chinese... Little toddlers who speak Mandarin but can't write don't know about the difference of the uses of the characters 田 tián, 填 tián and 甜 tián, even though they may use those words. French speakers go through something similar when learning about camp vs. quand vs. quant vs. qu'en as kids.

As you can imagine, this is also the source of mistakes for French speakers, and it doesn't really matter that the meanings may seem "very different" from the point of view of Mandarin or English. You may see quant misspelled as quand sometimes, just like in English you sometimes see "they're", "their" and "there" confused, or "principle" and "principal".

I'm not sure if you should worry about understanding how French native speakers deal with their language too much anyway. You're not a native speaker, and you may do best with strategies that are a little different... For example, strategies where the English you've already acquired is taken into account. A lot of accents circonflexes are easy to remember if you can remember words in English with an <s> in the related stem: ancêtre - ancestor/ancestry, rôtir - to roast, dépôt - deposit/post.
8 x

jeffers
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Hindi (A2-B1)

Learning: The above, plus French (A2-B1), German (A1), Ancient Greek (?), Sanskrit (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19785

Postby jeffers » Sun Mar 29, 2020 12:19 pm

ninuno wrote:I was listening to 'ma jeunesse fout le camp' then i realize french kids really learnt it as 'ma jeunèss fou le kan' .. it's almost as if 'fou le kan' came first then they add 't' and 'p' at the end in their brain.

Reading this made me laugh because I was wondering what kid would ever say "ma jeunesse fout le camp"! :lol:

All language learning should be build around listening skills from the start, something that was difficult with traditional books (before cassettes and CDs) but most modern textbooks and learning tools are aware of. One of the brilliant things about Assimil courses is that they contain hours of audio purely in the target language that you can listen to again and again, listen while reading the text, shadow, etc.

On topic, the example given is pronounced without the 't' and 'p' in standard clearly spoken French. What is even more difficult is how spoken French off of new bulletins and documentary narration drop even more sounds almost universally! To give two common examples, "je suis" is pronounced something like "chui" and "ne" is dropped from negative phrases all over the place. So whereas a lot of courses (e.g. Pimsleur) would tell you that "je ne suis pas" becomes "je'n suis pas" in fact it normally becomes "chui pas".
1 x
Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien (roughly, the perfect is the enemy of the good)

French SC Books: 0 / 5000 (0/5000 pp)
French SC Films: 0 / 9000 (0/9000 mins)

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:41 pm

There is a danger here.

As a learner, it's very easy to miss subtle "reduced" sounds in listening.

For example, in Spanish, there are accents that are reported as "dropping the S" at the end of syllables, when in fact the S is simply realised as a slight hh sound or a brief hiatus in speech. I've met quite a few people who report having learned Spanish while backpacking in South America, and they all literally drop their Ses, and it's definitely not the same thing. It sounds weird, and it makes understanding difficult -- you can't even tell if they're talking in singular or plural half the time.

This is why I think it's actually OK to overpronounce in the early stages of learning -- it's easier to reduce the pronunciation of a phoneme as you improve than it is to introduce a new phoneme in the middle of a word that you've already lost.
2 x

Querneus
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: Spanish (N), English
Studying: Latin, French, Mandarin

Postby Querneus » Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:08 pm

Cainntear wrote:There is a danger here.

As a learner, it's very easy to miss subtle "reduced" sounds in listening.

I think ninuno's main concern here is about the psychology of French speakers (not dealing with reduced pronunciations), because as a learner he thinks of the -p of camp as "primary" in a way (because we learners rely a lot on written representations), so the -p "is dropped" in pronunciation. But native speakers who learned it since they were babies think of the word as primarily the sound "[kɒ̃]" (ninuno's "kan"), and think of the spelling "camp" as the rather arbitrary convention to write it down. Think of English speakers, for whom the decision of using -ant or -ent (immigrant, affluent) is a matter of pure, annoying memorization.

So I tried to tell him/her that he can't become a native speaker anyway, so their psychology is not something to worry too much about, even if it's interesting and worth having in mind (for, say, understanding misspellings: immigrent, affluant, grammer...). There are probably better ways to approach French pronunciation and spelling anyway, like making use of her/his English.

For example, in Spanish, there are accents that are reported as "dropping the S" at the end of syllables, when in fact the S is simply realised as a slight hh sound or a brief hiatus in speech. I've met quite a few people who report having learned Spanish while backpacking in South America, and they all literally drop their Ses, and it's definitely not the same thing. It sounds weird, and it makes understanding difficult -- you can't even tell if they're talking in singular or plural half the time.

Yes, a lot of Spanish learners (and people who I'd hope would know better, such as some Spanish teachers and conlangers) often get it wrong the way you describe. The Spanish of Chile, Argentina, the coasts of Peru and Ecuador, much of Andalusia, has a lot of [h] (the h-sound) for "s" at the end of a syllable, so in those regions it's "lo[h] pe[h]cado[h]" (los pescados), not "lo pecado".

However, there are dialects that genuinely drop a lot of "s"s though. You can find them in Andalusia (more so in eastern spots, I think), and in the Caribbean. And by the latter I mean Cuba, the Dom. Rep., Puerto Rico, Panama, the Caribbean coast of Nicaragua, Colombia and Venezuela.

The Caribbean dialects in fact have undergone a change similar to that of French for number or German for cases, where the distinctions are retained in the articles and other determiners (le/les, ce/ces, mon/mes; der/den/dem/des) even though they have been lost for the most part in adjectives and nouns. So in Caribbean Spanish you hear "la mesa" (= la mesa) vs. "la[h] mesa" (= las mesas). Caribbean Spanish has also gone a bit the way of English, by using the subject pronouns a lot more as a way to deal with ambiguities in the verbs (so they say tú tienes and él/ella tiene because otherwise tienes and tiene would sound the same). Their dropping of "s" has gotten to the point that they sometimes add it unnecessarily (in linguistics, hypercorrection), saying and writing "fusmar" for standard fumar, for example. This whole thing is not wholly consistent though, and the -s of "mesas" in las mesas may still be optionally pronounced.

In Andalusia, though, the distinction often survives by using new extra vowels, so tiene sounds as usual, but tienes sounds like "tien[ɛ]", with an [ɛ] sound like that of English bed or French je jète. Something similar goes for "pollo" vs. "poll[ɔ]" (= pollos), the latter with the [ɔ] of German Zoll, and so on for the other vowels.

Relatedly, consider the Spanish of El Salvador and Honduras, where s-b, s-d, s-g, s-y and s-ll merge into a single sound. So la doctora sounds as usual (with a weak d sound in doctora, similar to the "th" of "the, then, thou", IPA [ð]), but in las doctoras, "s d" merge into a single strong d sound, like the d of Spanish andar (so las doctoras = IPA [ladoɣˈtoɾas] or [ladoɣˈtoɾah]). This is important for verbs in these dialects, because the difference between the object pronouns in lo llenó and los llenó is only found in the sound used for the "ll", weak ll for the singular and strong ll for the plural (IPA [lojeˈno] and [loɟʝeˈno]). If you ever come across a Salvadoran writing the expression Dios guarde 'God help us!' as Diocuarde, now you know the reason why (it's because "Dios guarde" is pronounced "Dioguarde" with a strong g sound, [djoˈgwaɾde], and the -c- is an attempt to write this down).
7 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Tue Mar 31, 2020 11:18 am

Ser wrote:However, there are dialects that genuinely drop a lot of "s"s though. You can find them in Andalusia (more so in eastern spots, I think),

You're probably right, but that wasn't my understanding of it. What I believe I was told was that it reduced to "hiatus", so literally nothing is said for a fraction of a second, and I've seen this transcribed with a dot: eg lo.'ojo.* for "los ojos", whereas "lo oigo" wouldn't have the dot: lo'oigo.

[* I've never bothered to learn IPA in Spanish as the orthography is so near perfect, so I'm just using Spanish letters with the stress marking and hiatus. Attempting to write in actual IPA would probably result in being very wrong. Apologies if this leads to reduced clarity. ]

In Andalusia, though, the distinction often survives by using new extra vowels, so tiene sounds as usual, but tienes sounds like "tien[ɛ]", with an [ɛ] sound like that of English bed or French je jète. Something similar goes for "pollo" vs. "poll[ɔ]" (= pollos), the latter with the [ɔ] of German Zoll, and so on for the other vowels.

Interesting. I've never had all that much difficulty with thick Andalusian accents. Whatever the patterns are, my brain seems to be happy with them.

Relatedly, consider the Spanish of El Salvador and Honduras, where s-b, s-d, s-g, s-y and s-ll merge into a single sound. So la doctora sounds as usual (with a weak d sound in doctora, similar to the "th" of "the, then, thou", IPA [ð]), but in las doctoras, "s d" merge into a single strong d sound, like the d of Spanish andar (so las doctoras = IPA [ladoɣˈtoɾas] or [ladoɣˈtoɾah]).

All in all, these things are extraordinarily subtle, and I think it supports my point. Everything here points to the existence of an /s/ phoneme, no matter how far it's reduced.

My view is that the first goal in learning pronunciation is to learn the phonemes, and the untrained ear will not detect an /s/ phoneme in an Andalusian, Salvadorian or Honduran accent because the phoneme is so heavily reduced as to be undetectable.

While I agree that a learner will never be a native, the learner should still be trying to model the native as close as possible,
BUT....
...paradoxically, that means not trying to imitate them. A close approximation of their accent can mislead the learner into creating an incorrect phoneme map, for example treating the two Ds in "soldado" as distinct phonemes /d/ and /ð/, rather than a single phoneme /d/ realised by two allophones, [d] and [ð].

Overpronunciation builds the phoneme map without letting allophones get in the way. I tend to describe this as the difference between learning "pronunciation" and learning "accent". You can't learn accent until you've learned pronunciation -- learning accent early interferes with learning correct pronunciation.
0 x

Saim
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: English
Others: Catalan, Serbian, Spanish, Polish, Hungarian, Urdu, French etc.
Main focus: German

Postby Saim » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:47 pm

Ser wrote:In Andalusia, though, the distinction often survives by using new extra vowels, so tiene sounds as usual, but tienes sounds like "tien[ɛ]", with an [ɛ] sound like that of English bed or French je jète. Something similar goes for "pollo" vs. "poll[ɔ]" (= pollos), the latter with the [ɔ] of German Zoll, and so on for the other vowels.

Don't forget vowel harmony: ti[ɛ]n[ɛ] and p[ɔ]ll[ɔ]. :)

Dropped s can also lead to gemination: mismo > mimmo.
0 x
log

شجرِ ممنوع 152

Return to “General Language Discussion”