Learning-with-texts

General discussion about learning languages
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Learning-with-texts

Postby rdearman » Fri Mar 27, 2020 10:07 am

A lot of people have problems installing LWT on their machines. I created some docker files that should help people install it without going through the hassle of trying to configure a full webserver and a database on their machines. It is on github

https://github.com/rdearman/LWT_Docker/ ... /README.md
15 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

rdearman
Site Admin

Re: Learning-with-texts

Postby rdearman » Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:20 am

I uploaded a YouTube video on how to set all this up.

I use this channel to put up all kinds of things about using your computer to learn languages. So if anyone has any suggestions for content I should put up please let me know. Also, I'd appreciate it if you could spread the word about the channel. I am not good at advertisement, so there is a lot of content there which could be useful to people but is underutilized.
4 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

ryanheise
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese (beginner)

Postby ryanheise » Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:26 pm

I've never tried LWT due to the hassle of setting it up, so the idea of this really sounds great.

In theory, the various remaining manual steps of downloading, extracting, making directories and copying files can be avoided with a (perhaps less "technically" elegant) monolithic docker image, ideally available on Docker Hub allowing users to install and run with a single command. It would also help your tutorial video to be a bit easier to understand since you don't need to explain the error and then how to fix it by copying the file.
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Thu Apr 16, 2020 4:29 pm

ryanheise wrote:I've never tried LWT due to the hassle of setting it up, so the idea of this really sounds great.

In theory, the various remaining manual steps of downloading, extracting, making directories and copying files can be avoided with a (perhaps less "technically" elegant) monolithic docker image, ideally available on Docker Hub allowing users to install and run with a single command. It would also help your tutorial video to be a bit easier to understand since you don't need to explain the error and then how to fix it by copying the file.

The problem with the video was I was doing it on the fly, unscripted and untested. But you are right I could put a hosted one on the docker hosting site.
0 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

themethod
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (Upper Intermediate), Spanish (Upper Intermediate)

Postby themethod » Sat May 02, 2020 3:14 pm

Where does the data save by default when using this method? I'm using Windows 10.

For some reason I got an error a few days after doing this (something about connect.inc, if I remember correctly), and when I searched for help online, people said to use the 'reset'. I then had rebuild it.

But now the texts/words are gone, so I'm starting from scratch. Fortunately, I had only read a few paragraphs, but I'd like to avoid this in the future. I see there's an option to download the databse from LWT, but that seems like it'd be tedious to do every time you add something.
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Sat May 02, 2020 4:41 pm

themethod wrote:Where does the data save by default when using this method? I'm using Windows 10.

For some reason I got an error a few days after doing this (something about connect.inc, if I remember correctly), and when I searched for help online, people said to use the 'reset'. I then had rebuild it.

But now the texts/words are gone, so I'm starting from scratch. Fortunately, I had only read a few paragraphs, but I'd like to avoid this in the future. I see there's an option to download the databse from LWT, but that seems like it'd be tedious to do every time you add something.

The DB is included in the docker build. The docker instance starts two systems the website for LWT and DB for storing data. It sounds like the DB didn't restart on your machine. You don't need to rebuild it, all you have to do is restart it. You can type in the two commands below.

Code: Select all

docker-compose up db
docker-compose up lwt

You should also make sure that the connect.inc.php file (I included it in the github files) is inside of the lwt_html directory.

The DB is installed on your local machine, so you didn't lose the data, just the connection to the DB. So a restart of both containers should fix the problem. This has happened to me also, so I'm pretty confident that was the problem.
1 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

Tristano
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: Italian
Speaks: English, Dutch, French, Spanish
Understands but not yet speaks: Romanian
Studies: German
Can't wait to put his hands on: Scandinavian languages, Slavic languages, Turkish, Arabic and other stuff
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5141

Postby Tristano » Sat May 02, 2020 8:31 pm

Rdearman, you can update the docker compose file adding for both container the restart policy always. This would restart the containers in case they stop unexpectedly or you simply restart your machine (obviously the docker service has to start at boot time).
0 x

Tristano
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: Italian
Speaks: English, Dutch, French, Spanish
Understands but not yet speaks: Romanian
Studies: German
Can't wait to put his hands on: Scandinavian languages, Slavic languages, Turkish, Arabic and other stuff
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5141

Postby Tristano » Sat May 02, 2020 8:36 pm

Another idea: using a database installed in your machine is risky. If the files on the volume get corrupted you lose all your sentences. It is advisable to routinely make a dump of the database and store it in the cloud or use a remote database instead.
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin

Postby rdearman » Sat May 02, 2020 9:54 pm

Tristano wrote:Rdearman, you can update the docker compose file adding for both container the restart policy always. This would restart the containers in case they stop unexpectedly or you simply restart your machine (obviously the docker service has to start at boot time).
I put restart always in the docker file.

I don't think if people don't have the technical knowledge to install a local webserver & DB they are going to be able to fire up a hosted AWS or Azure service. However, it is a good point and people should be using the "Backup/Restore/Empty Database" option in the LWT menu to back up the DB periodically.

I'll mention that in the readme file.
3 x

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

gilsjhonny
Languages: Spanish (N), English, French (beginner), Finnish (beginner)

Postby gilsjhonny » Sun May 03, 2020 1:09 am

Wow this is so cool! Thanks for sharing, I'm going to try this out! I admit I was kinda surprised when I saw "docker" since I deal with docker in a daily basis in my job lol
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”