Do you know of any Classic Children's French Books?

General discussion about learning languages
Fortheo
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), French (?) Russian (beginner)

Re: Do you know of any Classic Children's French Books?

Postby Fortheo » Thu Oct 29, 2020 6:05 am

PeterMollenburg wrote:This seems relevent to this thread, so I've copied from Le groupe français Les Voyageurs here for reference (thanks, Fortheo and bedtime)...

I'll share some of the children's and young adult series that I've collected over the years. All of these are pretty long series from French authors.

The Classics:

Les six compagnons - Paul-Jacques Bonzon
Fantômette - georges chaulet
Sans atout - Boileau-Narcejac
Langelot - Vladimir volkoff, aka Lieutenant X
Michel - Georges bayard

Most of those are more so targeted at boys, but fantômette Is targeted at girls, and many girls do appreciate Les Six Compagnons. Think about books like the Hardy Boys or Nancy Drew and you'll have a decent idea of what kind of book series are listed above. The great thing about these series is that they're very, very long, so if you like them, you'll have plenty to keep you busy for a while.

Modern series:

Tara Duncan - Sophie Audouin Mamikonian
Le Souffle de la pierre d'Irlande - Eric simard
La rivière à l'envers - Jean-claude MOURLEAT
La quête d'Ewilan - Pierre Bottero

I'd recommend any of these modern series for a younger girl with the exception of La rivière à l'envers, which I haven't read yet.

Out of all the series from both the classics and the modern series I'd say that Les Six Compagnons Is my personal favorite, but If I had to choose only one that I think the average young girl would like, I'd choose Tara Duncan. That said, all of the above series have their charm.
Last edited by Fortheo on Tue Sep 13, 2022 10:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
5 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Thu Oct 29, 2020 10:48 am

Fortheo wrote:
PeterMollenburg wrote:This seems relevent to this thread, so I've copied from Le groupe français Les Voyageurs here for reference (thanks, Fortheo and bedtime)...

I'll share some of the children's and young adult series that I've collected over the years. All of these are pretty long series from French authors.

The Classics:

Les six compagnons - Paul-Jacques Bonzon
Fantômette - georges chaulet
Sans atout - Boileau-Narcejac
Bob morane - Henri Vernes
Langelot - Vladimir volkoff, aka Lieutenant X
Michel - Georges bayard

Most of those are more so targeted at boys, but fantômette Is targeted at girls, and many girls do appreciate Les Six Compagnons. Think about books like the Hardy Boys or Nancy Drew and you'll have a decent idea of what kind of book series are listed above. The great thing about these series is that they're very, very long, so if you like them, you'll have plenty to keep you busy for a while.

Modern series:

Tara Duncan - Sophie Audouin Mamikonian
Le Souffle de la pierre d'Irlande - Eric simard
La rivière à l'envers - Jean-claude MOURLEAT
La quête d'Ewilan - Pierre Bottero

I'd recommend any of these modern series for a younger girl with the exception of La rivière à l'envers, which I haven't read yet.

Out of all the series from both the classics and the modern series I'd say that Les Six Compagnons Is my personal favorite, but If I had to choose only one that I think the average young girl would like, I'd choose Tara Duncan. That said, all of the above series have their charm.

Awesome. Thanks, Fortheo for your detailed contributions ;)
0 x

Sizen
Green Belt
Languages: Native: English
Advanced: French, Japanese
Intermediate: Spanish
Beginner: Korean, Mandarin
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18968

Postby Sizen » Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:05 pm

I didn't have time to look through everything here, but...

Fortheo wrote:La quête d'Ewilan - Pierre Bottero

I'm just going to double down on this recommendation. I read the series in my late teens (a bit late to the party, admittedly) along with Les Mondes d'Ewilan and L'Autre by Pierre Bottero and it's truly a tragedy that he passed away so young. Terrific youth author.

There's also potentially Amos Daragon by Bryan Perro which was pretty popular and even got translated into a bunch of languages. It's definitely for a younger audience than Pierre Bottero's stuff both in language and content.
3 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Fri Feb 05, 2021 3:22 am

reineke wrote:Contes de la rue Broca

I don't know if you're out there floating around reineke, as I haven't noticed you around these parts lately. Anyway, I know others mentioned this book as well, but I just wanted to say, this one has been a real hit. Fantastic recommendation. I'm looking to purchase the follow-up book called Contes de la Folie Méricourt . I'm enjoying all the books recommended in this thread that I've gotten a hold of so far and of course all the other books we've collected over recent years too. Anyone not sure as to whether they should read in their foreign languages to their children, don't hesitate. Just do it!
1 x

Chupito
Yellow Belt
Languages: French* and English
Learning: Spanish (beginner)

Postby Chupito » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:08 am

Tons of great suggestions already. To add to this:

Daniel Pennac was already mentioned but he has many other children books if I'm not mistaken
Joseph Joffo: Un sac de billes
Pierre Boulle: La planète des singes
Christian Lehman: no pasaran, le jeu
Jules Verne: Many books
Michel Tournier: Vendredi ou la vie sauvage
Alexandre Dumas: Le comte de Montecristo, Les trois mousquetaires.
Marcel Pagnol: Manon des sources, La gloire de mon père, Le château de ma mère)
Jules Renard: Poil de carotte

There are abridged/children versions of Les misérables by Victor Hugo. I think one of called "Causette".

I can't remember for sure whether they are good for kids: Arsène Lupin by Maurice Leblanc and Balzac et la petite tailleuse chinoise by Dai Sijie.

I haven't personally read it but heard a lot of good about Les Fiancés de l'hiver by Christelle Dabos.

I don't know if those are age-appropriate as I think I missed your daughter's age and I'm not good at evaluating that anyway.
3 x
Corrections welcome in any language.

Super challenge:
listening: 3 / 100 reading: 1 / 100

podcasts: 3 / 100

Return to “General Language Discussion”