Glossika repetitions and fluency

General discussion about learning languages
Tlernen
White Belt
Languages: English (N)
German (A2)

Re: Glossika repetitions and fluency

Postby Tlernen » Tue May 05, 2020 3:39 pm

I use Glossika every day. It took me a couple months and about 100 hours to reach 25,000 reps. I do the full version of reps and take my time. As a side bonus, the full-version reps cause you to improve your typing dramatically! This is helpful to me because I am learning German, which includes umlauts, for example. I think the typing is a nice feature vs SRS systems like Anki. Glossika also does shadowing.

As for those claims regarding what you can achieve with the various rep counts, I can only speak for 25,000, but yes, that seems about right. I can project forward as well and see that there is a good chance their claims about 50,000 could also work out. I will definitely keep you all posted about my progress if there is interest.
11 x

themethod
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (Upper Intermediate), Spanish (Upper Intermediate)

Postby themethod » Wed May 06, 2020 1:07 am

ryanheise wrote:One thing I like about the Glossika idea is that it avoids the review hell that plagues Anki users, where reviews just keep on piling up and can get out of control. Glossika takes the approach that there is no need to review old sentences after a certain point because if you keep moving forward, you're bound to get that repetition of the old vocabulary and syntax in new sentences and new contexts, which to me, sounds much more attractive.

I'm using the "old" version, and my current method is to follow the basic 43-week program, where you basically spend 5 days learning 50 sentences through a combination of English and the target language, using the 'A' GSM file and GSR files.

But then I'll randomly do the 'C' GSM files from past lessons on top of a day's current lesson. Partially because it's extra practice, but mostly because the C files are only in the target language, so I'm taking this sentence I already know and can say and then reinforcing it without the English translation there. And they're only like 4 minutes each.

I just started using Glossika about a month ago, so I can't say how effective that method -- or the overall course -- will be just yet, but it definitely seems to be helping.

I'm doing Russian and usually there are 2 or 3 sentences per 50 where I'm thinking: "there's no way in hell I'm ever saying that", and then a week later, it's rolling off my tongue with ease. It also seems to make the vocab stick really well.
3 x

Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Postby Adrianslont » Wed May 06, 2020 1:48 am

Tlernen wrote:.. As a side bonus, the full-version reps cause you to improve your typing dramatically! This is helpful to me because I am learning German, which includes umlauts, for example. I think the typing is a nice feature vs SRS systems like Anki. Glossika also does shadowing...

.. I will definitely keep you all posted about my progress if there is interest.

Congratulations on your progress and I am interested in hearing how you continue to progress.

I just want to clarify that you can type into anki. I mention this because you seem to think you can’t and I have noticed that this seems to be a fairly widespread belief.
5 x

Tlernen
White Belt
Languages: English (N)
German (A2)

Postby Tlernen » Wed May 06, 2020 8:18 am

Adrianslont wrote:
Tlernen wrote:.. As a side bonus, the full-version reps cause you to improve your typing dramatically! This is helpful to me because I am learning German, which includes umlauts, for example. I think the typing is a nice feature vs SRS systems like Anki. Glossika also does shadowing...

.. I will definitely keep you all posted about my progress if there is interest.

Congratulations on your progress and I am interested in hearing how you continue to progress.

I just want to clarify that you can type into anki. I mention this because you seem to think you can’t and I have noticed that this seems to be a fairly widespread belief.

Thank you. Admittedly, I am very much a noob with Anki. Can you tell me how the typing works in Anki?
0 x

Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Postby Adrianslont » Wed May 06, 2020 11:47 pm

Tlernen wrote:
Adrianslont wrote:

Thank you. Admittedly, I am very much a noob with Anki. Can you tell me how the typing works in Anki?

This video demonstrates how to get typing working in anki.

I don’t actually use typing myself - I use plain cloze cards (I probably should to improve my use of accents in French) - but I have followed the instructions in the video and it works well.
4 x

siouxchief
Yellow Belt
Languages: Learning French

Postby siouxchief » Sun Apr 25, 2021 10:31 am

Tlernen wrote:I use Glossika every day. It took me a couple months and about 100 hours to reach 25,000 reps. I do the full version of reps and take my time. As a side bonus, the full-version reps cause you to improve your typing dramatically! This is helpful to me because I am learning German, which includes umlauts, for example. I think the typing is a nice feature vs SRS systems like Anki. Glossika also does shadowing.

As for those claims regarding what you can achieve with the various rep counts, I can only speak for 25,000, but yes, that seems about right. I can project forward as well and see that there is a good chance their claims about 50,000 could also work out. I will definitely keep you all posted about my progress if there is interest.

Hi Tlernen,

Just wondering if after a year later and I assume a lot more Glossika reps if you are still finding it useful? Did it live up to the 50K rep prediction do you think?

I'm mainly interested in using it to help me speak quicker and harness the sentences even if I tweak them to suit my needs.

Thanks
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”