The older you get the harder it gets.

General discussion about learning languages
mentecuerpo
Green Belt
Location: El Salvador, Centroamerica, but lives in Phoenix, Arizona.
Languages: Spanish (N) English (B2) Italian (A2) German (A1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 18#p155218

Re: The older you get the harder it gets.

Postby mentecuerpo » Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:10 pm

Thank you all for your contribution to this post.
It is a constructive discussion.

As some of you may know, I am in my early 50's. I am a bilingual person, Spanish-English.

I started learning Italian six or seven years ago. I have a solid A2 Italian level or maybe a B1 in some areas like conversation. When I travel to Italy, I have no problems at all communicating with Italians.

Currently, I am learning German and French, and I am happy with my progress.
I am using my experience learning English and Italian to learning German and French.

I use many of the teachings in this forum, and I am confident that I will probably be speaking German and French in a few years.
By the way, when I go to France, I can get by in the language, very tourist-like but I understand a lot. No doubt that my Spanish, Italian, and English have made the magic.

I am happy that there is now a direct flight from Phoenix to Frankfurt, which started operating last year, so I will be able to travel a bit easier to Germany as well.

In May this year, I will visit London, Paris, and Saint-Raphael, the French Riviera - Cote d'Azur. I have been to Saint-Raphael three times, and I like it a lot. I want my daughter to learn French, so I make an effort to take her to France on her Summer or Winter school breaks. I also enjoy having exposure to the living language, so the endeavor is all worth to me.

I am going off-topic here, but the point is that I don't see anything wrong to learn a language as an adult. I am excited about learning German because it takes me out of my Latin-based comfort zone, and I find it stimulating.

Adults learn new languages, no doubt about that.
I believe there are estimated timetables already established as a guide for an adult language learner to have an approximation of how many hours will take to learn the language. For example, the approximate amount of hours it will take for an American Adult language learner to learn another language.
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”