The older you get the harder it gets.

General discussion about learning languages
Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Re: The older you get the harder it gets.

Postby Cavesa » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:22 am

mentecuerpo wrote:
Cavesa wrote:
mentecuerpo wrote:It is an aggressive manner to push parents to pay for early language lessons at any cost. Not just financial (even though it is important. Lessons starting earlier than officially at school are expensive). The well meaning parents are so convinced that age is all that matters, that they settle even for horrible (although sometimes native) teachers. A three year old won't learn that much anyways in two hours per week (and needs to learn and do tons of other stuff too). And a five year old can already be discouraged from language learning, due to an incompetent teacher.

I think immersion works best for children. Paying private tutors can help, or bilingual schools, but immersion makes all the difference in the world. Even one or two years of immersion can contribute significantly, and the younger, the better.

We can all enjoy the benefit of immersion at any age, but children will thrive in their new language skills. As you say, they will probably not do very well with a language teacher in a non-immersion environment. It is hard to keep children motivated to learn a language; however, when they are having fun and mingling with other children and hearing the language everywhere for some time, the magic happens.

Yes, but this has much more to do with immersion and pressure than with age. Even teenagers or adults will do really well in such an exceptional situation. Those children learn extremely well, because they are immersed and have no other choice. They are forced to get schooled in that language, that is a very demanding thing. To either learn, or be extremely isolated. It's a matter of survival. Put an adult under a similar pressure, and they'll succeed much better than others of their age too. The children not living abroad are just as young, their neuroplasticity is just as high, but they do not progress miraculously, or that much faster than children a bit older.

You are mixing "Paying for a year abroad works" with "The older you get, the harder it gets.", and those are two different things. The children in normal language learning situations, such as classes (including the immersion classes that are not full time) are not doing that well. It is extremely simple. Just have a look at any coursebook series for children. The modern methodology (so playful at all costs, supposedly active and immersive, often delivered by natives) leads to totally laughable, slow, and demotivating results. The children hear the language all the time for several hours a week, they are doing supposedly communicative activities, they are definitely not drilling vocab or grammar (otherwise they'd do much better. Just like we did at primary school twenty years ago), but they still don't end up better then their classmates, who start several years later. At the end of high school, you won't find much of a difference between those, who started at the age of 4, and those who started at the age of 9. But you'll find a hell of a difference between those, who have put in thousands of hours outside of class over the years, and those who haven't.

Btw, do you know some of the children, who went abroad for a year or a few? It sounds to me like you've never met any. I actually know a small sample (perhaps a dozen). Those, who kept an intensive contact with the language after their return profited from the experience immensely. The others, no matter how young they were during their experience abroad, ended at the same level as their less privileged peers after some time. They had profited from "the magic", they had spoken like natives in the foreign kindergarten. But a decade later (or even less), they were not too different from the usual learners of their age.

The idea that starting earlier is better is of course vaguely true, nobody says otherwise. But the problem I've got with your post is different:
-no, the decline of the ability is not linear, and age is not the only important factor. You are making a too bold and dogmatic claim on something that is scientifically nonsense. It is not linear at all.
-it supports the stupid and highly elitist ideas, that paying for years of immersion is basically the only method worth considering. And there are people abusing the fact that moving abroad is simply impossible for most people. Such as language schools selling immersive classes with absolutely trashy native teachers. You know, those people who fail at their original life, take a short English teaching course to access a sweet expat life, and go damage children to another country, where nobody dares to challenge their incompetence despite the bad results. Those tons of children making too little progress (and ending up discouraged) are a direct result of the "let's all pay for modern immersive classes with native teachers" hype.
-this sort of simplification is not helpful to anybody. It doesn't motivate the older learners, the younger learners that cannot just move abroad, the poorer families, anybody.
-you are on a forum, the existence of which fights these ideas. There are learners of all the ages, and most of us haven't been sent abroad as children. Not even us with high levels. So, this claim is not useful to anybody. It's as if you were telling us to just give up.
2 x

Cenwalh
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1), Catalan (B2).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12467

Postby Cenwalh » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:23 am

I just want to add - having actually read the study - that the authors don't attach any causality to the results, and do not attempt to say that adult learners can't learn grammar well, just that on average they seem not to.

They recognise near the end of the paper that the age they gave for the end of peak learning (17) means that their evidence goes against all previous theories about brain development meaning children learn better.

They list possible explanations such as adults having less time and willingness to learn, and interference from the native language being 'non-linear', but this study has not attempted to study what the reason is, and thus saying "I will never be as good as a child" is not a valid conclusion because the factors that affect the averages might not affect you.
8 x
Double SC films: 200 / 200 (updated 2022-07-28)
Double SC books: 34 / 200 (updated 2022-07-28)

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Fri Jan 10, 2020 1:00 am

Cenwalh wrote:I just want to add - having actually read the study - that the authors don't attach any causality to the results, and do not attempt to say that adult learners can't learn grammar well, just that on average they seem not to.

They recognise near the end of the paper that the age they gave for the end of peak learning (17) means that their evidence goes against all previous theories about brain development meaning children learn better.

They list possible explanations such as adults having less time and willingness to learn, and interference from the native language being 'non-linear', but this study has not attempted to study what the reason is, and thus saying "I will never be as good as a child" is not a valid conclusion because the factors that affect the averages might not affect you.

Thanks for this sum up.

Peak learning at age 17 sounds interesting! I should probably read the whole article, not just parts of it, as this might finally be something worth it. If the combination of various factors results in this peak, it is not surprising to me (my anecdotal observation is similar. teens are awesome.) It would be great to spread this information! To give more courage to the kids and parents, who think they've wasted their window of opportunity already. To the teens, insecure about their abilities. To the people in their 20's and 30's, to show we are less far away from the peak age than we may have thought :-D To the older learners, to shake the walls of "I'm too old" and "let's try to learn like babies". :-)

Of course the adults won't usually have just as strong motivation and as much time for learning as the children. It would be great, if the language learning world finally recognised this as a more important reason than just age. I just find it weird, that these studies don't seem to take into account stuff like IQ. Given the rather small samples of the learners, it plays a role. And IQ in children (very simply put) is supposed to represent mental age. A ten year old with IQ 140 is supposedly mentally 14. So, does this theory fit? :-D
0 x

mentecuerpo
Blue Belt
Location: El Salvador, Centroamerica, but lives in Phoenix, Arizona.
Languages: Spanish (N) English (B2) Italian (A2) German (A1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 18#p155218

Postby mentecuerpo » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:00 am

Cavesa wrote:-no, the decline of the ability is not linear, and age is not the only important factor. You are making a too bold and dogmatic claim on something that is scientifically nonsense. It is not linear at all.
-it supports the stupid and highly elitist ideas, that paying for years of immersion is basically the only method worth considering. And there are people abusing the fact that moving abroad is simply impossible for most people. Such as language schools selling immersive classes with absolutely trashy native teachers. You know, those people who fail at their original life, take a short English teaching course to access a sweet expat life, and go damage children to another country, where nobody dares to challenge their incompetence despite the bad results. Those tons of children making too little progress (and ending up discouraged) are a direct result of the "let's all pay for modern immersive classes with native teachers" hype.
-this sort of simplification is not helpful to anybody. It doesn't motivate the older learners, the younger learners that cannot just move abroad, the poorer families, anybody.
-you are on a forum, the existence of which fights these ideas. There are learners of all the ages, and most of us haven't been sent abroad as children. Not even us with high levels. So, this claim is not useful to anybody. It's as if you were telling us to just give up.

I agree with you that age is not the only important factor. I think there are other important factors besides age.

Here are a few I can think of, but I am sure there are other factos as well:

Another important factor is your mother tongue and how closely it is related to the second language you are learning. If you are Italian, learning Spanish will be easier for you. If my native language is Spanish, Korean will be harder to learn, but Portuguese will be much easier.

As Kató Lomb wrote, there are other essential factors, such as self-assurance, motivation, and a good method.

I will consider language learning experience is another important but not essential factor.

Having contact with the language for an extended time will be an important factor. The language skills will continue to develop.

I think that native-like phonetics and syntaxis of the new language is age-dependent for the average person learning a language. But that does not mean that adults and the elderly cannot learn a new language and achieve high proficiency levels with clear pronunciation leading to excellent communication in the language. I believe that vocabulary learning is not influenced by age at all.

I don’t think immersion is the only method worth considering. We all know of immigrants who never learned their new home language.

Many people who speak English as a second language, as well as other languages, have not had the benefit of immersion.

I have traveled to Holland, and it seems to me that many Dutch people speak English well with a good pronunciation, and I am sure that many have not lived in an English-speaking country. However, Dutch and English are related languages, a very important factor.
0 x

PeterMollenburg
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), French (B2-certified), Dutch (High A2?), Spanish (~A1), German (long-forgotten 99%), Norwegian (false starts in 2020 & 2021)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18080

Postby PeterMollenburg » Fri Jan 10, 2020 6:12 am

nbeing wrote:Following on from Kraut's succinct reply, I refuse to buy into this age-related nonsense. I am 60 and have learned five of my nine languages since age 50; there are two main reasons for this.

While I do believe the body does decline with age, including the brain, I tend to agree with you. However on certain grounds. That is, for some of us, it just wasn't going to happen earlier on in life, despite our apparent peak brain period.

I have said it before. I tried to learn languages when I was younger. I failed to reach an advanced level. I wasn't ready. I needed to live more, fail more and come back with determined avengeance. So, it's certainly not all to do with physical attributes, and not even mental. There's the experience factor. My life seems to get busier every year, and sometimes I stop and think that at the point it is now, I would NOT have handled such a busy life when I was 17 or 25 despite being extremely physically active and having a perfectly functioning brain :lol: Really PM? :?

nbeing wrote:First of all I know how to learn and more importantly how I learn - knowledge that I didn't have at 17 or 30. Secondly I have the most important resource of all, time. I'm semi-retired and can devote 3-5 hours a day to learning, something which just isn't possible for younger people juggling a family, career, hectic social life.

The time is there, often (not always, not for everyone) even when we have families and career and other commitments too. It's about the desire to find those hidden moments and being fixated/determined to succeed in language learning despite the odds (lack of time). I'm not suggesting we all ignore our children and deprive ourselves of sleep. And I know my leisurely 8 hours of work a day is not what everyone does either. Still, it can be arranged if one is willing to. I took easier jobs at times to facilitate my language learning time. Edit: In fact, it seems sometimes that I needed the pressure of a busy life to say to myself 'gee, I really ought to get down to business here learning the languages I want to, because life is so busy, i'm going to run out of time!' And so I did!.

nbeing wrote:Yes, we slow down as we age, but I've learned more in the last ten years than in the preceding forty, so wouldn't change a thing. I'm truly excited about the coming year in which I plan to continue the journey.

Awesome!
3 x

mentecuerpo
Blue Belt

Postby mentecuerpo » Fri Jan 10, 2020 8:13 am

Kraut wrote:pdf, free after registering

https://www.academia.edu/32533715/Secon ... pr%C3%B3fs

Interesting topic on this article. It is related in a few ways to the subject of this blog. It is a good read. We can learn a lot from it.

It is true that in a classroom setting, we adults do much better than children learning languages. Children will do much better in a natural environment or immersion in the target language; if they are exposed to the natural environment long enough, I will say a few years or more.

I am looking at this topic from the developmental approach to the life cycle. It is not just children vs. adults. It is children, teenagers, young adults, middle-aged people, and the elderly. We all learn new things; the learning process never stops if we keep our cognitive abilities. I would think that the way we learn probably changes during different developmental stages of the human life cycle.

Adults of all ages can learn a new language if there are no significant cognitive deficits. With age, just by living longer, we are exposed to intrinsic and extrinsic factors that may affect cognition. We get more forgetful with age, we all know it, think about “the senior moments,” we have short memory lapses, it happens more frequently as we age.

Some of us may start losing our cognitive faculties at different ages. Multiple factors play a role, including genetics, head trauma, drug and alcohol use, strokes, medications prescribed to the elderly, including benzodiazepines, opiates for pain control, narcotics for sleep aid, chronic illness, kidney failure, liver failure with elevated ammonia levels, among others.

The good news is that learning languages will help us stay active and can be a protective factor against cognitive decline. In other words, the older we get, the better for us to keep learning languages and maintained our acquired languages.
0 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan

Postby Cavesa » Fri Jan 10, 2020 12:43 pm

mentecuerpo wrote:I agree with you that age is not the only important factor. I think there are other important factors besides age.

Here are a few I can think of, but I am sure there are other factos as well:

Another important factor is your mother tongue and how closely it is related to the second language you are learning. If you are Italian, learning Spanish will be easier for you. If my native language is Spanish, Korean will be harder to learn, but Portuguese will be much easier.

As Kató Lomb wrote, there are other essential factors, such as self-assurance, motivation, and a good method.

I will consider language learning experience is another important but not essential factor.

Having contact with the language for an extended time will be an important factor. The language skills will continue to develop.

I think that native-like phonetics and syntaxis of the new language is age-dependent for the average person learning a language. But that does not mean that adults and the elderly cannot learn a new language and achieve high proficiency levels with clear pronunciation leading to excellent communication in the language. I believe that vocabulary learning is not influenced by age at all.

I don’t think immersion is the only method worth considering. We all know of immigrants who never learned their new home language.

Many people who speak English as a second language, as well as other languages, have not had the benefit of immersion.

I have traveled to Holland, and it seems to me that many Dutch people speak English well with a good pronunciation, and I am sure that many have not lived in an English-speaking country. However, Dutch and English are related languages, a very important factor.

You're mixing a lot of different things together. No offence meant, but you are diluting the topic into a generic thing not too related to the original topic.

What language you are learning and what is your native one, that matters for the overall difficulty. But it has nothing to do with the question of your language learning abilities changing over time. You will be probably a slower learner of any language at the age of 70 than you were at the age of 20. That's the key point.

Just as your other arguments. All of them are valid for another discussion, which we have already had here a million times. You are preaching to people already knowing this, and you're moving away from the original topic.

I originally wanted to stick to the topic of age, as it is fascinating (as I can already see some of this decline now that I am getting too near my 30th birthday). Your cognitive decline is not linear, and it is affected by a lot of things. Which do not get discussed as often. That's what I meant, not just a list of all the things that affect language learning :-D
-people with a healthy life style age differently than those with a very unhealthy one.
-genetics matters. some people will have a great brain at 80 in spite of their bad choices, some will degrade faster, and some will not be too gifted to start with
-education and efforts matter. the people with tons of extra synapses simply age differently. It is one of the dementia diagnostic problems btw, because the usual screening methods are tailored to a random person and will be falsely negative for the more educated or more intelligent people.
-your physical or mental health affects your learning abilities, your cognitive skills, and also your ageing. If you suffer from depression in your 20's, it is probable your 60's without depression might actually be a learning paradise compared to it.
1 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:16 pm

I'm 66 years old so I should know how it is to get older - but the problem is that I don't remember in details how it was to be 20 years old - haha. And it is not just a question of lost memory - it is also a problem of comparison.

When I was young we didn't have computers and Google and that kind of stuff so we had to rely more on our memory and on the things we had written down or bought in the form of books and magazines. Nowadays it doesn't matter quite as much to remember everything because we can look things up on the internet (although you only can search efficiently if you already know something about the thing you try to find). Therefore we had another attitude to our information sources - we simply treated them with more reverence (which includes that we wrote things down by hand, which in itself is a way to memorize them better). Now one of the things that influence how well you remember things is how much attention you spend on them, and this means that in a world with on-the-fly access to information we may remember less simply because we have become more distracted and less attentive to the information we pick up. Maybe also more lazy...

By the way: It will be interesting to see whether the mobile phone generation will be able to remember anything at all when it reaches my age. For instance I still remember town plans rather well. Will that skill die out when the GPS generation gets old? Do people with GPS on their phone actually remember maps at all when their small screens only show the next kilometer or so and where to turn the next time?

So I think that it's too easy just to measure retention decline through retention decline tests. You also have to consider how information is presented and how it is treated in realistic situations. That doesn't mean that I don't believe in age based deterioration of our mental storage mechanisms - we probably do lose something with age, but old people may compensate with mechanisms that are much harder to test in a scientifically sound way. In other words: you can do rigorous testing based on the retention of irrelevant and boring syllables on a screen or things like that, but language is learned in a complex way, and simple retention tasks may not reflect the way we learn linguistic things.

Right now I simply cannot say with certainty whether I learned languages faster forty or fifty years ago than today because I don't learn them in the same way and I have lost some learning tools and gained others - and I'm not even the same kind of learner anymore (new methods, other surroundings). The only thing I know is that I still add new languages - but for the time being mostly in their written form since that how I study them.
9 x

mentecuerpo
Blue Belt

Postby mentecuerpo » Fri Jan 10, 2020 3:54 pm

Tom wrote:I'm 54 and started trying to learn my first foreign language (Spanish), a little over two years ago. I would like to become advanced or at least high intermediate. I was actually hoping to learn more than one language, but it's taking longer than I expected to progress and is much more difficult than I imagined. So I may just stop at one language and try to keep improving on it, but I'm not sure yet. I would guess that it's probably quite a bit easier to learn a language when you are older, if you have already learned other languages in the past. I'm disappointed that I'm not further along, but I'm going to keep at it and see how it turns out.

Welcome to the forum.

Spanish is an excellent first language to learn for a native English speaker. You will find that many words are shared between the two languages. Spanish is a phonetic language and shares almost the same alphabet with English. In the USA, for example, you can have plenty of opportunities to have natural contact with the language and the chance to interact with Spanish speakers. Content in the Spanish language is readily available for language learners.

You will find that as you learn the Spanish language, you will be learning how to learn a new language as well. You will find that once you have learned your second language, learning a third will be less challenging because you have built confidence in learning a new language and acquired the knowledge of how to do it.

The important thing is to stay motivated and use the right method that works for you. This forum has tons of information on the topic.
0 x

nbeing
White Belt
Languages: English(N),German(C2), French(C1), Spanish(C1), Italian(B2), Czech(B2), Dutch(B2), Russian(B1), Portuguese(A2), Greek (beginner)

Postby nbeing » Fri Jan 10, 2020 4:08 pm

As you get older three things happen. The first is your memory goes...and I can't remember the other two.
Last edited by nbeing on Fri Jan 10, 2020 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
6 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”