Goals, milestones, progress bars

General discussion about learning languages
vm_nm
White Belt
Languages: DE (N)
Current focus: JP (reviewing N4), ES (working on C1)
Others: EN (C2/CPE), FR (passive intermediate), CZ (pre-intermediate?) plus long-neglected ones I have no idea how to rate.

Re: Goals and milestones

Postby vm_nm » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:51 pm

My progress bars are one-off short-term goals. The two I have at the moment are
  • output: +1 for every post on lang-8
  • grammar review: +1 when I finish a chapter in a C1 grammar book + related exercises in another

My long-term goals are veeeery vague.

1. Have fun.
2. Learn interesting things about languages.
3. Bring my Japanese to a useful level (N2?) before old age dementia sets in.
4. Have less languages in brackets next year than I had at this year's Gathering.

Brun Ugle wrote:go to the Polyglot Gathering next year with a minimum of four languages at a "comfortably conversational" level.

:)
3 x

pir
Orange Belt
Languages: Groks fluently: English, German
Dutch (C2~)
Swedish (B2~ on hold)
Romanian (B1~ on hold)
Swahili, Wolof, Esperanto, Russian (A1 on hold)
Studies: French (B1~), Japanese (A1), Spanish (A0)
~ means ++passive than active knowledge.

Corrections: YES!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1132

Re: Goals, milestones, progress bars

Postby pir » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:48 am

rdearman wrote:@pir you could track the number of ways you could use the progress bars. Set yourself a goal of thinking of 50 ways to uae them and post that. :D

Thanks a lot. Now I have the song "50 Ways to Leave Your Lover" earworming me with new lyrics: 50 Ways to Chart Your Progress.
3 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:00 pm

As for my own goals, my current main ones are earning more stars for the Super Challenge (generally at least one more per language) and finishing as many books I'm currently reading as possible.

My progress bars currently represent two resources:
Radio Arlecchino is a fun podcast for learners of Italian, focusing on the grammar and culture. The explanations are in English and it's assumed that you've tried to learn some Italian grammar before. There's one native speaker and several non-natives, but the content is so much fun that the accent doesn't bother me, I have other things that take care of my listening skills :P Theatre is a major theme which is a nice touch imo.

Budva na pjenu od mora is a Montenegrin series that most members learning BCMS have heard about :lol: All three seasons are legally available on this youtube account. It starts out as somewhat cheesy love story but gets more complex soon :)
3 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

coler1
White Belt
Languages: English (N)
Currently studying: Latin (intermediate)
On the backburner: German (beginner), Estonian (trifling)
Want to learn: All of the above and Danish, Ancient Greek, Italian and French (and everything else...)!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?p=9295#p9295

Postby coler1 » Sun Sep 06, 2015 2:10 pm

My most tangible goal for Estonian is to read the Kalevipoeg (national epic). I'd also love to speak Estonian to my Grandma (who has repressed all her knowledge basically of it due to being forced to speak English in WWII) and sit a certified CEFR exam and get C2 haha! Wouldn't everyone!

While thinking on it (and possibly because I've been studying like mad all week for a uni assignment) I'd love to write an academic essay in Estonian. I have had a dream to study Estonian literature in history (i.e. the Kalevipoeg lol).

Shorter term goals: finish Teach Yourself Complete Estonian including know all the vocabulary introduced in it. Then move on to Peace Corps Estonian (basically FSI). And to stop pronouncing Estonian ä, ë, ü, ö as if they're German cos I sound a fool! :lol:
0 x
Currently reading: De Rerum Natura (Lucretius)
To read: De Bello Gallico (Caesar), Metamorphoses (Ovid), Ab Urbe Condita (Livy)

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian

Postby Serpent » Thu Sep 17, 2015 11:41 pm

Serpent wrote:As for my own goals, my current main ones are earning more stars for the Super Challenge (generally at least one more per language) and finishing as many books I'm currently reading as possible.

My progress bars currently represent two resources:
Radio Arlecchino is a fun podcast for learners of Italian, focusing on the grammar and culture. The explanations are in English and it's assumed that you've tried to learn some Italian grammar before. There's one native speaker and several non-natives, but the content is so much fun that the accent doesn't bother me, I have other things that take care of my listening skills :P Theatre is a major theme which is a nice touch imo.

Budva na pjenu od mora is a Montenegrin series that most members learning BCMS have heard about :lol: All three seasons are legally available on this youtube account. It starts out as somewhat cheesy love story but gets more complex soon :)

I tried out the Montevideo project to test my comprehension of something new and got sidetracked completely. It tells the story of the Yugoslavian (really Serbian) national team preparing and travelling for the first World Cup in Uruguay. There are two films, one taking place in Belgrade and one in Montevideo, and there are longer versions of each film as a series, as well as a third series that serves as a bridge and follows the team's long journey, in a time when you couldn't just hop on the plane. I'm currently watching this series, and I don't think I'll go back to Budva until I'm done. I'm enjoying the pre-WW2 atmosphere and the hot guys :D (hotter than in Budva, for my taste) I'm less keen on the unavoidable femmes fatales, but at least they're pretty and they don't speak about football, taking me out of my comfort zone.
The first film is legally available on Youtube, with optional English subs.

Also, on goodreads my currently reading shelf is now less monstrous, as I've added shelves for "slow non-fiction" and "slow collections etc" - essentially, stuff that you can read as slowly as you want. (more here)
0 x
Corrections welcome

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Serpent » Tue Nov 24, 2015 8:55 am

Serpent wrote:I tried out the Montevideo project to test my comprehension of something new and got sidetracked completely. It tells the story of the Yugoslavian (really Serbian) national team preparing and travelling for the first World Cup in Uruguay. There are two films, one taking place in Belgrade and one in Montevideo, and there are longer versions of each film as a series, as well as a third series that serves as a bridge and follows the team's long journey, in a time when you couldn't just hop on the plane. I'm currently watching this series, and I don't think I'll go back to Budva until I'm done. I'm enjoying the pre-WW2 atmosphere and the hot guys :D (hotter than in Budva, for my taste) I'm less keen on the unavoidable femmes fatales, but at least they're pretty and they don't speak about football, taking me out of my comfort zone.
The first film is legally available on Youtube, with optional English subs.

I'm done with the series :D
2 x
Corrections welcome

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:39 am

Alas, when I click on the link here in the USA I get this message: "This video has been removed as a violation of YouTube's policy against spam, scams, and commercially deceptive content."
0 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Serpent » Wed Nov 25, 2015 4:18 am

:shock: Yeah I see the same thing. Pretty weird as it for example had silence instead of music. And this doesn't say there was any copyright infringement.
0 x
Corrections welcome

Montmorency
Brown Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Maintaining: German (active skills lapsed somewhat).
Studying: Welsh (advanced beginner/intermediate);
Dabbling/Beginner: Czech

Back-burner: Spanish (intermediate) Norwegian (bit more than beginner) Danish (beginner).

Have studied: Latin, French, Italian, Dutch; OT Hebrew (briefly) NT Greek (briefly).
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1429

Postby Montmorency » Fri Nov 27, 2015 10:58 pm

rdearman wrote:@pir you could track the number of ways you could use the progress bars. Set yourself a goal of thinking of 50 ways to uae them and post that. :D

Meta-progress bars. :lol:
3 x

Montmorency
Brown Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Maintaining: German (active skills lapsed somewhat).
Studying: Welsh (advanced beginner/intermediate);
Dabbling/Beginner: Czech

Back-burner: Spanish (intermediate) Norwegian (bit more than beginner) Danish (beginner).

Have studied: Latin, French, Italian, Dutch; OT Hebrew (briefly) NT Greek (briefly).
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1429

Postby Montmorency » Fri Nov 27, 2015 11:08 pm

My "true" goals are fairly vague and somewhat distant. But for the purposes of this thread I will try to be a little more precise, at least for the medium-term.

Although there isn't really anything magic about the numbers, I have mentally set myself goals based around the number 1 million.

So for both German and Welsh, I want to try to listen to one million words each, say within one year (of starting my log here).
And also to read one million words each. I think the reading may be tougher, so that may have to be re-adjusted.

This will not include words heard in conversation, although it might include those in audio lessons.

For Spanish, when I eventually restart it, it will have to be a bit different. I'm going to kick off with some fairly intensive audio lessons to get back into the swing of it, and maybe then start some reading and maybe L-R-ing, but I'm not aiming for a mega word count like with the others. I only really want to "get by" or slightly better than "get buy", at least in the medium term. Where it goes after that, we shall have to see.

I may put up some progress bars when I have done a bit of counting.
1 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”