Goals, milestones, progress bars

General discussion about learning languages
Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Re: Goals, milestones, progress bars

Postby Xenops » Tue Dec 01, 2015 5:26 am

My goals are vague at this point, as I want to make plausible goals, but have not defined them yet.

For Japanese:
1. Work through "Let's Learn Kanji" book and memorize all the kanji radicals, adding one or two each day. I have about thirty memorized right now.
2. Review and know all the material in the first Genki textbook by July, and maybe testing for the JLPT level 5 in July or December.

For Spanish: I need to work on vocabulary and grammar, as my Spanish is rusty overall. Maybe use Gabriel Wyner's Anki method for Spanish and Japanese. And since I now have high-speed Internet at home (yay!), TV programs are now an option. 8-)
2 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:39 pm

Serpent wrote:Radio Arlecchino is a fun podcast for learners of Italian, focusing on the grammar and culture. The explanations are in English and it's assumed that you've tried to learn some Italian grammar before. There's one native speaker and several non-natives, but the content is so much fun that the accent doesn't bother me, I have other things that take care of my listening skills :P Theatre is a major theme which is a nice touch imo.

Done, done, done!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I started it shortly after Chung posted about the resource, which according to old HTLAL was on February 27, 2014. I don't remember if I started immediately or only in March. I haven't by any means mastered all the material, but I feel much more confident now.
1 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

WingSuet
White Belt
Languages: Swedish (Native), English (Fluent), German (C1+), Cantonese A1, Spanish A1

Postby WingSuet » Thu Dec 31, 2015 10:11 am

My goals for 2015 (knowing that I very seldomly complete my goals) are to improve my German as much as I can for the rest of my stay in Berlin, bring back my Cantonese skills from the morgue so that I can finally participate in a 6 weeks challenge again, and MAYBE, if I have time, start on a new language, Finnish maybe, just for fun.
2 x

solocricket
Orange Belt
Languages: My good languages: English (N), French (C1), Spanish (B2), Italian (reading knowledge)
Languishing Languages: Dutch (~B1), Icelandic (delapidated passive intermediate skills), Yiddish (basic passive), Japanese (smattering of reading knowledge, lots of vocab, maybe I'll get back to it someday)
Studying: Polish (A1)
Wish List: Chinese, Urdu, Russian, Arabic, Hebrew... yep
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=5502

Postby solocricket » Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:57 pm

I already kinda posted something similar in the New Year's resolutions thread, but I really want to get my Dutch up to B1-ish so I can learn it passively. I hit some cool milestones within the last few months, including reading Sjakie en de chocoladefabriek (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory) in Dutch. Now I need another novel to work on....
0 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian

Postby Serpent » Fri Jan 01, 2016 12:14 am

WingSuet wrote:My goals for 2015
:P
0 x
Corrections welcome

WingSuet
White Belt
Languages: Swedish (Native), English (Fluent), German (C1+), Cantonese A1, Spanish A1

Postby WingSuet » Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:52 am

Serpent wrote:
WingSuet wrote:My goals for 2015
:P

Haha! Oops! That would be difficult, to do all that in one day :P Of course it should be 2016 ^^
2 x

voodie
White Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (C1+), German (C1), French (B2), Arabic (B1), Swedish (beginner), Modern Greek (beginner)

Postby voodie » Sat Jan 02, 2016 12:39 pm

My goals for 2016. Just like last year, the worst problem is basically the lack of free time:

1) Continue perfecting my German, to the point that I can finally write Gutachten without looking into the dictionary and discuss court cases without stuttering (thought it would be easier when I came to Germany to study law) :twisted:

2) Practice my French. It's a pity that despite relatively good written competence I still speak like a beginner.

3) Try not to forget English (which is harder than it seems, since I barely use it in my everyday life).

4) Read some articles in Arabic to remember at least some of the words and not to forget the language completely.
1 x

Monox D. I-Fly
Blue Belt

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:35 pm

I am learning Japanese (especially their Kanji) and Arabic (especially their Nahwu). Any suggestions about what to put in my progress bar?
0 x
Read 5,000 pages of Arabic books: 5 / 5000
Watch 9,000 minutes of Arabic videos: 19 / 9000

Read 5,000 pages of Japanese books: 1 / 5000
Watch 9,000 minutes of Japanese videos: 297 / 9000

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Serpent » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:48 pm

Which materials are you using? Do you have a specific set of kanji you want to learn?

I don't know what nahwu is but google mostly shows some grammar charts. If you're doing exercises you can track how many you've done :)
0 x
Corrections welcome

Monox D. I-Fly
Blue Belt

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:54 pm

I want to learn all Kanji.

About the Nahwu, it's more to understand completely when to use the suffix "-an", "-in", and "-un".
0 x
Read 5,000 pages of Arabic books: 5 / 5000
Watch 9,000 minutes of Arabic videos: 19 / 9000

Read 5,000 pages of Japanese books: 1 / 5000
Watch 9,000 minutes of Japanese videos: 297 / 9000

Return to “General Language Discussion”