Goals, milestones, progress bars

General discussion about learning languages
Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Re: Goals, milestones, progress bars

Postby Serpent » Sat Sep 02, 2017 4:07 pm

You have to start somewhere :) do you have an estimate of how many kanji you know? do you use anki? you can try to track your total kanji known*, or the number of anki cards... or you can set a goal like 200 kanji until the end of the year, and track your progress.
*I don't necessarily think it's a good idea, I'm just suggesting. Trying to keep track of how many words or kanji you know can make you too anxious about forgetting the "old" ones.
Just like language learning itself, tracking is about experimenting and figuring out what works for you, what kind of goals motivate you and what kills your motivation.
1 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

coldrainwater
Blue Belt
Languages: EN(N), ES(rusty), DE(), FR(studies)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7636

Postby coldrainwater » Sat Sep 02, 2017 6:41 pm

I have plenty of vague future goals, but for now I prefer to focus on a 1-2 year time horizon in Spanish with the overall goal of reaching a solid lower intermediate level.

Listening Improvement

TV - 300 hours or equivalent colloquial watch/listen. Currently muddying the boots with Aquí no hay quien viva.
Documentaries - at will but >= 300 hours long-term as I find Spanish history/culture on RTVE very interesting.
Reading - 10k pages or about 30 novels. The tricky part here is that I tend to mix in challenging literature which will slow my pace.
Audiobooks The plan is to overlap some of my initial 30+ novels as listen/read in form of audio books. I am partial to listening while reading and I feel it definitely adds/enhances the overall language learning experience.
Yabla - Make it through their entire advanced video section intensively. 30-minute chunks of intensive short videos work well for me here.

My expectation from the listening goals above is that I will reach a very strong B1 in listening and be poised to coast into B2 territory. What I did not write above is that the bulk of my listening hours are and will likely remain extensive podcast listening due to habit, convenience, and available time blocks. If the above is insufficient to reach B2 territory, I plan to add DLI and some other intensive work if needed. Unless life gets in the way, end of 2018 should see at least 3-4 of the points above completed.

Grammar
My plan here is reasonably simple. I will make some sort of pass through grammar at least once every three to six months. My first pass was May/June 2017 and I plan to tackle GDUE in daily doses starting fall 2017 if time allows. If time does not allow, I am looking at Jan-Feb 2018. I am building-in 3-6 month breaks strategically, but the realistic part of it all is that massive input will eat up most of my time. When speaking gains priority, FSI will come into play without a doubt.

Writing
I plan to develop intermediate writing skills using forum participation. Outlook is more of a 2-3 year timeframe since I will likely build into this slowly by lurking and intensively reading on forums of interest prior to high volume writing output. The key to making this work will be to shift my procrastination time to these forums and build a habit around it.

Vocabulary/Etymology/Mono-bilingual Dictionary reading
These may be closer to vices of mine as I am very tempted by this sort of study. It might be a less pernicious form of wanderlust. I have fought off the desire to spend inordinate amounts of time learning vocabulary pretty well since 2016 although I must admit to delving into this territory as procrastination.
2 x

leosmith
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N)
Spanish (adv)
French (int)
German (int)
Japanese (int)
Korean (int)
Mandarin (int)
Portuguese (int)
Russian (int)
Swahili (int)
Tagalog (int)
Thai (int)

Postby leosmith » Sun Sep 03, 2017 3:05 am

Monox D. I-Fly wrote:I want to learn all Kanji.

Sweet! Pull that off, and you'll be the first.
2 x
https://languagecrush.com/reading - try our free multi-language reading tool

Monox D. I-Fly
Blue Belt

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Sun Sep 03, 2017 2:19 pm

A member named Ezy Ryder sent me a PM which contained a YouTube link about how many Kanji are there. Turned out there are about 50,000, yet currently I can only read about 200. Guess I will stuck to Jouyou only which only has 2,136. I do tend to write using Romaji because I sometimes post my Facebook status in Japanese. If I use Kanji, people will use the "See Translation" menu to know the meaning, which is harder if I simply write it in Romaji.

As for the Arabic part, I guess my target would be memorizing all 6,236 ayah in the Koran as well as their meanings.
1 x
Read 5,000 pages of Arabic books: 5 / 5000
Watch 9,000 minutes of Arabic videos: 19 / 9000

Read 5,000 pages of Japanese books: 1 / 5000
Watch 9,000 minutes of Japanese videos: 297 / 9000

Finny
Green Belt
Languages: English...

Postby Finny » Thu Sep 14, 2017 2:15 am

I'm still knee-deep in the trilingual trenches with the kiddos. My daughter is 3 and son is 2 and both are comfortable in English, Spanish, and French. I'm continuing to sharpen my French (I'd say I'm somewhere between B2 and C1 speaking, C1/C2 listening / reading), but there's no question that I "speak it" and that the kids have all 3. I don't post here much these days because things are pretty much on autopilot. It's great to see everyone continuing to make progress though. :D
4 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”