Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

2030 Will Be a New World

Postby Kraut » Sat Nov 30, 2019 11:02 pm

Not completely off-topic for language learning

artificial intelligence, artificial general intelligence, artificial super intelligence, solving energy problems etc within reach

--------------

2030 Will Be a New World: artificial intelligence

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAGeN5lrxws

Technology is advancing faster than ever, and it’s not slowing down. This decade was the era of smart phones, streaming, and the internet of things. But with 5G and AI on the rise, high-tech executive Jeff Brown believes 2030 will be a new world. Brown is an early-stage tech investor and analyst who’s seen the modern technological revolution firsthand. He describes quantum computing as a moon landing and 5G as game-changing. He predicts a near future full of artificial intelligence, self-driving cars, wireless surgeries, genetic healing, cryptocurrencies, and more! But with equal advances in encryption hacking and the AI tracking abilities of Google, Facebook, and even China, we must control our own data!
0 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Am. English (N), German, French, ASL (abandoned), Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Japanese (N2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12230

Re: 2030 Will Be a New World

Postby golyplot » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:24 am

Pretty sure he's overly optimistic about QC. And even if it does become practical, about the only thing that will change is software encryption, though that is admittedly a huge deal.
1 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:32 am

Pandora's box is an artifact in Greek mythology connected with the myth of Pandora in Hesiod's Works and Days. The container mentioned in the original story was actually a large storage jar but the word was later mistranslated as "box". In modern times an idiom has grown from it meaning "Any source of great and unexpected troubles", or alternatively "A present which seems valuable but which in reality is a curse". Later depictions of the fatal container have been varied, while some literary and artistic treatments have focused more on the contents of the idiomatic box than on Pandora herself. – Source: Wikipedia
Pandora -Lawrence_Alma-Tadema.jpeg

According to Hesiod, when Prometheus stole fire from heaven, Zeus, the king of the gods, took vengeance by presenting Pandora to Prometheus' brother Epimetheus. Pandora opened a jar left in his care containing sickness, death and many other unspecified evils which were then released into the world. Though she hastened to close the container, only one thing was left behind – usually translated as Hope, though it could also have the pessimistic meaning of "deceptive expectation". From this story has grown the idiom "to open a Pandora's box", meaning to do or start something that will cause many unforeseen problems. Its modern, more colloquial equivalent is "to open a can of worms".
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
7 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Sun Dec 01, 2019 12:18 pm

So what can we predict about language production with all that new computer power?

Here is one:

there will be translation gear that not only will translate flawlessly into the target language, it will do so
in your own voice, the computer can analyze the characteristics of your personal speech organs and create your own virtual Spanish, Russian, Chinese or whatever voice.
Last edited by Kraut on Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Random Review
Green Belt
Languages: En (N), Es (int), De (pre-int), Pt (pre-int), Zh-CN (beg), El (beg), yid (beg)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 75#p123375

Postby Random Review » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:03 pm

Kraut wrote:So what can we predict with all that new computer power?

Here is one:

there will be translation gear that not only will translate flawlessly into the target language, it will do so
in your own voice, the computer can analyze the characteristics of your personal speech organs and create your own virtual Spanish, Russian, Chinese or whatever voice.

As an EFL teacher, I'm acutely aware of the clock ticking on this one. :(

I was washing dishes for a living before, so I'm desperately trying to think of ways to avoid having to go back to that.
4 x
German input 100 hours by 30-06: 4 / 100
Spanish input 200 hours by 30-06: 0 / 200
German study 50 hours by 30-06: 3 / 100
Spanish study 200 hours by 30-06: 0 / 200
Spanish conversation 100 hours by 30-06: 0 / 100

Ezra
Orange Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (C1),
In use: French, Spanish, Latin, Classical Hebrew
Studying: Classical Chinese, Italian, German, Japanese, Ancient Greek
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=8792

Postby Ezra » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:08 pm

If we still have to go to work and buy groceries on a way back home, it is not all that new...

There might be some improvements in machine translation but I do not expected AI to make much sense out of Classical Chinese or, even, Latin.
2 x

tungemål
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N)
English, German, Spanish, Japanese, Dutch, Polish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17672

Postby tungemål » Sun Dec 01, 2019 2:50 pm

Google translate is already impressively good, much better than 10 years ago, but not flawless. And it can already read and translate a text through the phone camera, and understand voice input. That is cool! Two thoughts:

- To achieve flawless translation with AI will be hard, if not impossible I think. To be able to flawlessly translate any text requires not only that you know the language well, but also that you got a deep cultural understanding.

- Google translate is good between English and an other language, but I think they haven't got algorithms between two languages that are not English. If I try e.g. Norwegian and Spanish, it obviously translates via English, something that is a source of many mistakes. So I always use English as one of the languages in G.T. I don't know if this will change. They haven't got a big text corpus of Norwegian for the machine learning algorithms. I don't know if all translations are directed via English but I suspect they are.
4 x

arkazeminia
Languages: English and Farsi

Postby arkazeminia » Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:28 pm

I studied a bit of AI when I was doing my master's degree. I think most people tend to look AI as some superhuman entity that'll save the world but this is what Hollywood has portrayed. Most AI today is based on recognition of patterns that humans cannot simply notice. This is how AI will help humans improve the planet but only if they want to. Transcendence is unlikely.
5 x

tussentaal
White Belt

Postby tussentaal » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:22 am

tungemål wrote:Google translate is already impressively good, much better than 10 years ago, but not flawless. And it can already read and translate a text through the phone camera, and understand voice input. That is cool! Two thoughts:

- To achieve flawless translation with AI will be hard, if not impossible I think. To be able to flawlessly translate any text requires not only that you know the language well, but also that you got a deep cultural understanding.

- Google translate is good between English and an other language, but I think they haven't got algorithms between two languages that are not English. If I try e.g. Norwegian and Spanish, it obviously translates via English, something that is a source of many mistakes. So I always use English as one of the languages in G.T. I don't know if this will change. They haven't got a big text corpus of Norwegian for the machine learning algorithms. I don't know if all translations are directed via English but I suspect they are.

Nynorsk to bokmål translators are getting better tho, Nyno, Apertium and the new one in the making.
1 x
ge hebt ne vriend...

jianpanxia
Languages: Chinese, English

Postby jianpanxia » Wed Dec 25, 2019 4:40 am

Ezra wrote:If we still have to go to work and buy groceries on a way back home, it is not all that new...

There might be some improvements in machine translation but I do not expected AI to make much sense out of Classical Chinese or, even, Latin.

AI does well with clearly written short sentences in simple structures - but few of our daily communications are written that way.
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”