You know you're a language nerd when…

General discussion about learning languages
AlOlaf
Orange Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), German (C2)
Learns: Danish, Norwegian

Re: You know you're a language nerd when…

Postby AlOlaf » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:07 pm

When your quest for interesting subject material to write about in German leads you to a video containing the most obnoxious and irritating American English you've ever heard, which you are compelled to immediately share with others because it reinforces your decision to speak something else.
0 x

IronMike
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Currently studying: Unsure? Is it "studying" if I'm reading the language daily?
Maintaining: Esperanto (C1 skriba)
Lapsed: Russian (C1), BCS (B2 once upon a time...not that now!)
Future: Hawaiian & Navajo
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Thu Jul 26, 2018 9:49 pm

rdearman wrote:
IronMike wrote:
AndyMeg wrote:When you feel tempted to learn french just for the sake of exploring and using a wider range of Assimil books.

When you immediately download a "French for Reading" book when you discover a magazine freely available online for one of your 'non-language' hobbies. ;)

When you figure if a guy has non-language hobbies then he isn't a language nerd. :)

You wound me, sir. ;)
6 x
Xenoglossomania is a serious condition, cured only by collecting more languages

SC Esperanto films : 15 / 100
SC Esperanto books : 13 / 100

kulaputra
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Kannada (semi-native, illiterate), Spanish (~C1), Hindi (A2 speech, B1 comprehension), French (A1 speech, A2 listening, >=B1 reading), Mandarin Chinese (~A1)

Postby kulaputra » Sun Jul 29, 2018 9:23 am

rdearman wrote:
IronMike wrote:
AndyMeg wrote:When you feel tempted to learn french just for the sake of exploring and using a wider range of Assimil books.

When you immediately download a "French for Reading" book when you discover a magazine freely available online for one of your 'non-language' hobbies. ;)

When you figure if a guy has non-language hobbies then he isn't a language nerd. :)

When you develop a new hobby just cuz most of the instructional/informational material for it is in your TL
Last edited by kulaputra on Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
5 x
Iha śāriputra: rūpaṃ śūnyatā śūnyataiva rūpaṃ; rūpān na pṛthak śūnyatā śunyatāyā na pṛthag rūpaṃ; yad rūpaṃ sā śūnyatā; ya śūnyatā tad rūpaṃ.

--Heart Sutra

Please correct any of my non-native languages, if needed!

Sarafina
Orange Belt
French (B1)
Japanese (Beginner)

Postby Sarafina » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:10 am

When the only reason you got a summer job is to pay for Italki lessons and buy even more French books.
3 x

Sarafina
Orange Belt
French (B1)
Japanese (Beginner)

Postby Sarafina » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:13 am

When your friends are using their summer jobs to save up for a car and you're spending most of your money on TL materials
Last edited by Sarafina on Sun Jul 29, 2018 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4 x

Sarafina
Orange Belt
French (B1)
Japanese (Beginner)

Postby Sarafina » Sun Jul 29, 2018 11:15 am

When applying for acommodation for university, you deliberately pick a campus that has the most international students so you increase the chance of having a roommate that is a native speaker of your target language
8 x

trui
Yellow Belt
Languages: EN (N), NL
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=8657

Postby trui » Sun Jul 29, 2018 6:10 pm

When you use your new and amazing dictionary with all the words you'd ever need and more, to make crazy and super obscure sentences for fun that no one would understand. I'm not sure if this counts as being a language nerd or being crazy. Both? ;)

De laken laken de lakenheid in het laken.

The watercourses/channels rebuke the sheetness in the sheet??? :lol: What?
1 x
Nederlands:

Alle correcties worden op prijs gesteld.

SC audio: 546 / 18000
SC books: 365 / 10000

DaraghM

Postby DaraghM » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:04 am

When you believe Flying Tiger shops are a secret plan to teach us all Danish, and you hope that they succeed.
2 x

garyb
Brown Belt
Languages: Native: English
Advanced: Italian, French
Intermediate: Spanish
Beginner: Greek
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1855

Postby garyb » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:23 am

Sarafina wrote:When applying for acommodation for university, you deliberately pick a campus that has the most international students so you increase the chance of having a roommate that is a native speaker of your target language

At my university at least, I found that they tried to put people from the same country in the same accommodation, so I wouldn't get my hopes up too much although you never know! That said though, university gives you unparalleled opportunities to meet people from other countries, both in regular study and social life and in specific settings like societies and language exchange events. Make the most of it! I'm a bit sad that I didn't get interested in languages until after my studies, as finding these opportunities is a little harder in the "real world".
3 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Czech (N), English (C1), French (C2), Spanish (intermediate), German (somewhere on the path), Italian (passive advanced, active basic)

Postby Cavesa » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:50 am

garyb wrote:
Sarafina wrote:When applying for acommodation for university, you deliberately pick a campus that has the most international students so you increase the chance of having a roommate that is a native speaker of your target language

At my university at least, I found that they tried to put people from the same country in the same accommodation, so I wouldn't get my hopes up too much although you never know! That said though, university gives you unparalleled opportunities to meet people from other countries, both in regular study and social life and in specific settings like societies and language exchange events. Make the most of it! I'm a bit sad that I didn't get interested in languages until after my studies, as finding these opportunities is a little harder in the "real world".

When the "language tandem" project at your faculty initially gets your hopes up and then completely disappoints you, once you find out the details. The only exchange is English-Czech. I would love to help the international students in the English parallel class with Czech (especially for the good of the patients). But English is worthless to me not only because of my focus on other languages. Most are not native speakers and some don't even speak as well as you'd expect. It is hard to make unofficial exchanges, because we are so separated we don't even meet much, and they are not interested in Czech unless they are forced to by the faculty, that's why an official Tandem "class" was needed. I would have loved it so much to learn their languages, get more Spanish practice, or learn something like Farsi!
3 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”