You know you're a language nerd when…

General discussion about learning languages
tommus
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Dutch (B2), German (A1), Spanish (A1), Esperanto (A1), Mandarin (beginner)

Re: You know you're a language nerd when…

Postby tommus » Mon Jun 24, 2019 10:54 am

Iversen wrote:... so that I can permit myself to buy a few dictionaries along the way ... I bring along the most wornout rags I've got so that I can throw them out if I need more space in my bag.

Iversen, I think you win the prize for the best "language nerd" statement of all time!
7 x
Dutch
40 Boeken
● 35 Ned. Videos
● 370 Univ-Nederland
: 25 / 40
: 35 / 35
: 180 / 370
● 730 Video Nieuws
● 104 Skype NL Chats
● 730 Tekst Nieuws
: 730 / 730
: 82 / 104
: 730 / 730

nooj
Blue Belt
Languages: english (n)

Postby nooj » Mon Jun 24, 2019 2:11 pm

It's a madness that unfortunately I share as well. Looking at my (one) suitcase, in order to fit all the books that I've bought in order to fit inside, I have to give away most of my clothes. Oh well, they'll go to a good cause. Clothes I can live without. But books I can't.
4 x
زندگی را با عشق
نوش جان باید کرد

Bluepaint
Brown Belt

Postby Bluepaint » Mon Jun 24, 2019 4:06 pm

nooj wrote:It's a madness that unfortunately I share as well. Looking at my (one) suitcase, in order to fit all the books that I've bought in order to fit inside, I have to give away most of my clothes. Oh well, they'll go to a good cause. Clothes I can live without. But books I can't.

Whilst I am inclined to agree I believe you are underestimating just how much one sweats when trekking in a rainforest. And there isn't always water or time to wash and dry clothes. It doesn't sound that bad but the smell can really be something else ;-) the solution of course is to stay away from all urban environments in between treks, right? :P if only it were that easy
0 x

Koneho
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Tagalog (Best) Spanish (Second Best) Mandarin (Clasroom Commands only)

Postby Koneho » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:03 pm

Bluepaint wrote:
Bluepaint wrote:When you're backpacking & trekking but you still have to buy that dictionary you saw for the language you currently have no plans to study

I bought a 2nd one! Kadazan-Dusun-Malay-English. God help this addiction :cry: I did manage to avoid buying a 3rd (Murut-Malay, I want it so very badly!) because I'm supposed to be a backpacker and not a rich tourist. And I would have to post it home at this point. Book + postage maybe £40-50? Eek.

I must start setting aside a book & postage budget when travelling.

Dusnic languages are cute because they're in-between indonesian style and philippine style grammar. A dusun from the penninsula got me hooked on Malay and his native/heritage sabahan dialect. This forum needs more austronesian geeks!
0 x

sporedandroid
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (heritage/intermediate), Hebrew (pre-A1), Turkish (pre-A1, aiming for around A1)

Postby sporedandroid » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:46 am

You try to watch some Netflix, but you’d rather just study your target language.
1 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: Czech (N), English (C1), French (C2), Spanish (intermediate), German (somewhere on the path), Italian (passive advanced, active basic)

Postby Cavesa » Thu Jul 04, 2019 6:28 pm

When you're not sure whether you're a learner or a beta tester of the learning tools you're using.

When you are more comfortable (less anxious) to write emails in a foreign language than your native one.
3 x

Bilingual_monoglot
White Belt
Languages: English (N) Tamil (N) (B1) French (A2) Esperanto (A2) Hindi (A1/2) Malay (beginner) Chinese (beginner) Spanish/German/Kristang (occasional dabbling)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=10420

Postby Bilingual_monoglot » Fri Jul 05, 2019 2:36 pm

When you ended up speaking German with an American and a Burmese person in Singapore
2 x

brad-alm
Languages: spanish, french, german, italian

Postby brad-alm » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:51 pm

You spend a Saturday night with a foreign language textbook instead of a date!!!
3 x

AndyMeg
Blue Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2-C1), Japanese (A2-B1), Korean (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7431

Postby AndyMeg » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:57 pm

When you find interesting videos in a language you don't know. And while most people ask for subs in their native languages, you decide to add the video's language to your "languages that I would like to learn in the future" list. :roll: :lol:
4 x

Bluepaint
Brown Belt

Postby Bluepaint » Fri Jul 12, 2019 12:00 pm

AndyMeg wrote:When you find interesting videos in a language you don't know. And while most people ask for subs in their native languages, you decide to add the video's language to your "languages that I would like to learn in the future" list. :roll: :lol:

Pray tell, which language is it?
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”