You know you're a language nerd when…

General discussion about learning languages
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: You know you're a language nerd when…

Postby rdearman » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:25 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:Is it official? (New target language in sight... :) )

Yep It is official
0 x

SophiaMerlin_II
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N). Study: Japanese, Spanish

Postby SophiaMerlin_II » Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:51 am

You understand what "fluent" means.

I'm not fluent in Spanish. But I can take your order or sell you shoes.
4 x
Please ignore my English, elsewise be kind!

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish+ (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German+, Italian+
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian, Czech; Romanian+, Galician; Danish, Swedish
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Chaucer's English
+ means exploring the dialects/variants

Postby Serpent » Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:09 am

When you see a thread called "Crazy Challenge anyone?" with a few replies and you're disappointed that it's not a new challenge a bunch of people have already signed up for.
6 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=10151

Postby aokoye » Wed Jun 19, 2019 5:53 pm

When you think to yourself "oh I really need to get a workbook focused on verb conjugation" then decide to check your bookshelf before buying a book and realize that you have exactly the book you were going to buy.
12 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=10151

Postby aokoye » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:13 pm

aokoye wrote:When you think to yourself "oh I really need to get a workbook focused on verb conjugation" then decide to check your bookshelf before buying a book and realize that you have exactly the book you were going to buy.

Replying to myself. And then you go to your favorite bookstore and buy just one more grammar book because it will cover things that other books you have won't and it was used and I mean, you're going to sell some books back this year at some point...right?

edit: that you then realize you actually don't want for various reasons and are very grateful for the 30 day return policy :roll:
3 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

Bluepaint
Brown Belt

Postby Bluepaint » Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:48 am

When you're backpacking & trekking but you still have to buy that dictionary you saw for the language you currently have no plans to study
6 x

Mooby
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Polish (Int)

Postby Mooby » Thu Jun 20, 2019 1:57 pm

....when the definition of your comfort reading during a stay in hospital is a book of 101 verb conjugations.
13 x

sporedandroid
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (heritage/intermediate), Hebrew (pre-A1), Turkish (pre-A1, aiming for around A1)

Postby sporedandroid » Fri Jun 21, 2019 8:49 am

When you read an academic article on linguistics to distract yourself from a blood test.
1 x

Bluepaint
Brown Belt

Postby Bluepaint » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:00 am

Bluepaint wrote:When you're backpacking & trekking but you still have to buy that dictionary you saw for the language you currently have no plans to study

I bought a 2nd one! Kadazan-Dusun-Malay-English. God help this addiction :cry: I did manage to avoid buying a 3rd (Murut-Malay, I want it so very badly!) because I'm supposed to be a backpacker and not a rich tourist. And I would have to post it home at this point. Book + postage maybe £40-50? Eek.

I must start setting aside a book & postage budget when travelling.
2 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Mon Jun 24, 2019 6:39 am

I just leave home with empty space in my luggage so that I can permit myself to buy a few dictionaries along the way. Most of my wardrobe when travelling is washable, and I bring along the most wornout rags I've got so that I can throw them out if I need more space in my bag.

The big problem nowadays is that paper dictionaries are dying out and that you only find grammars for the languages the other customers also might want to buy, and then the temptations become less numerous. But dictionaries and grammars for Kadazan and Dusun (and Murut - how can you live without it?) would definitely be worth owning.

Right now I'm in the middle of a major multilingual wordlist project. In the last round I included some 28 languages, and since then I have acquired dictionaries in Czech and Ukranian and they both deserve to be included in the current round. so far I have reached the Iberian pensinsula with Portuguese (after English, Scots, Afrikaans, Dutch, Low and High German, Icelandic, Nowegian, Swedish, Latin, Modern and Ancient French), and today I expect to do the rest of the Romance languages and if possible also Greek and Albanian and Esperanto and Indonesian. Then I'll go visit some zoos and aquariums and museums, and after that I have the Slavic languages waiting for me. Actually I could extend the project to include Hungarian, and it ought to be possible to by an Estonian dictionary over the internet, and ... well, I don't study the last handful of languages yet, but it was fun to do a wordlist in Finnish so I'm sure it also would be interesting to study the vocabulary of for instance Latvian or Lithuanian. I only leave out the Asian languages because there is such a thing as lingvistic constipation.
10 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”