You know you're a language nerd when…

General discussion about learning languages
Ogrim
Brown Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N) English (C2), French (C2), Spanish (C2), German (B2), Romansh (B2), Italian (B2), Catalan (B2), Russian (B1), Latin (B2), Dutch (B1), Croatian (A2), Arabic (on hold), Ancient Greek (learning), Romanian (on hold)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?t=873

Re: You know you're a language nerd when…

Postby Ogrim » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:34 pm

When you are at a cash machine in Valencia, Spain, which gives you the option to choose between seven languages (Spanish, Catalan, Valencian, Basque, English, French, German), and you spend so long wondering which language to choose that your timed out and your card is returned.

When the second time you try, you quickly choose Valencian, withdraw your money, and then put the card back in a third time to choose Catalan, just to see what the difference is between the instructions in Valencian and Catalan.
25 x
Ich grolle nicht

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt
Languages: Belgian French (N)

I can speak: Dutch, German, English, Spanish and understand Italian, Portuguese, Wallonian, Afrikaans, but not always correctly.

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:43 pm

n_j_f wrote:You quit your job so you can spend all your free-time learning languages, but then go back to work after six months so you can buy more Assimil and Linguaphone books :oops:

Wow, you must win this thread's prize !!!
2 x
-w- I am Jar-ptitsa and my Hawaiian name is ʻā ʻaia. Please correct my mistakes in all the languages. Thank you very much.
: 1 / 50 Spanish grammar
: 5 / 50 Spanish vocabulary

Jar-Ptitsa
Brown Belt
Languages: Belgian French (N)

I can speak: Dutch, German, English, Spanish and understand Italian, Portuguese, Wallonian, Afrikaans, but not always correctly.

Postby Jar-Ptitsa » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:44 pm

Ogrim wrote:When you are at a cash machine in Valencia, Spain, which gives you the option to choose between seven languages (Spanish, Catalan, Valencian, Basque, English, French, German), and you spend so long wondering which language to choose that your timed out and your card is returned.

When the second time you try, you quickly choose Valencian, withdraw your money, and then put the card back in a third time to choose Catalan, just to see what the difference is between the instructions in Valencian and Catalan.

I can imagine this :lol: I have done this in England and I like to see which languages they offer the different things. Often this are the ones in other alphabets (but not the cash machine, but for example the borough's letters)
3 x
-w- I am Jar-ptitsa and my Hawaiian name is ʻā ʻaia. Please correct my mistakes in all the languages. Thank you very much.
: 1 / 50 Spanish grammar
: 5 / 50 Spanish vocabulary

vm_nm
White Belt
Languages: DE (N)
Current focus: JP (reviewing N4), ES (working on C1)
Others: EN (C2/CPE), FR (passive intermediate), CZ (pre-intermediate?) plus long-neglected ones I have no idea how to rate.

Postby vm_nm » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:17 pm

When after reading this thread, the first thing you plan to do after landing in Valencia is go and withdraw money.
5 x

vm_nm
White Belt
Languages: DE (N)
Current focus: JP (reviewing N4), ES (working on C1)
Others: EN (C2/CPE), FR (passive intermediate), CZ (pre-intermediate?) plus long-neglected ones I have no idea how to rate.

Postby vm_nm » Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:18 pm

And when your chickens have Japanese and Indian names and you talk to your cat in a fake Russian accent.
6 x

Ruan
Yellow Belt
Languages: Brazilian Portuguese (N), English
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1370

Postby Ruan » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:10 pm

When your idea of a good time is listening to songs in languages you still don't know.
9 x

tomgosse
Brown Belt
Languages: Anglais (langue maternelle)
Français (A1)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1185

Postby tomgosse » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:52 am

... when you change your computer's operating system, and web browser to your target language and mess it up so much that you have to do a complete restore. Then you do it again to see if you can get it right.
12 x
Rejoignez notre groupe français ! Les Voyageurs

n_j_f
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)

Studying:
French (B1), German (A2)

Up Next:
Persian, Russian

Flirting With:
Sanskrit

On the back-burner:
Turkish, Irish

Bucket List:
Spanish, Norwegian, Swedish, Hindi/Urdu, Ancient Greek, Latin, Old Church Slavonic, Modern Greek, Tamil, Sinhalese, Malayalam, Welsh, Arabic

Postby n_j_f » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:50 pm

vogeltje wrote:
n_j_f wrote:You quit your job so you can spend all your free-time learning languages, but then go back to work after six months so you can buy more Assimil and Linguaphone books :oops:

Wow, you must win this thread's prize !!!

Hopefully the prize is the full collection of Assimil or Linguaphone (1st and 2nd Editions) so I can quit my job again!
7 x

astromule
Green Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (C2), French, Portuguese, Italian, Norwegian, Swedish, Danish, German, Russian
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=794&start=240

Postby astromule » Fri Sep 04, 2015 3:39 am

You dream with Richard Simcott and he tells you that to really understand Portuguese you must first study Ladino, with the five different editions of "Teach Yourself Ladino" that are in existence.
3 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Fri Sep 04, 2015 5:57 am

Ogrim wrote:When you are at a cash machine in Valencia, Spain, which gives you the option to choose between seven languages (Spanish, Catalan, Valencian, Basque, English, French, German), and you spend so long wondering which language to choose that your timed out and your card is returned.

I would've so done this :D
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Return to “General Language Discussion”