You know you're a language nerd when…

General discussion about learning languages
Kullman
Orange Belt
Languages: Spanish (N) Galician (N) English (B2)

Re: You know you're a language nerd when…

Postby Kullman » Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:55 pm

Tuckey wrote:You change the language of your phone to your target language, but you're just a beginner and you can't work out how to change it back :?

Some years ago, when I was working as an Android helpdesk technician for a smartphone brand than doesn't exist anymore, one of the recurring tickets were about changing the language back after accidentally setting japanese, korean or chinese as main language.

Back in the day it wasn't that hard, because most of the menus had icons which didn't change between languages, and only the actual language list was a bit daunting, because the only way to change it was counting the positions where the target language was in that list (Spanish was actually the 27th, if I remember correctly).
3 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Am. English (N), German, French, ASL (abandoned), Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Japanese (N2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12230

Postby golyplot » Tue Nov 22, 2022 3:02 pm

A lot of places have the language list each language with a name written in its own language for that reason.
2 x

mick33
Orange Belt
Languages: First language: English
Languages I'm focusing on learning now: Italian.
Languages I'm learning but not focusing on: Afrikaans, Polish, Finnish Turkish, Spanish, Swedish, Catalan, Hungarian, Russian.
Just for fun I sometimes learn a little of: Hindi, Japanese, Indonesian, Georgian, Thai etc.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=762

Postby mick33 » Sat Mar 04, 2023 3:39 am

YouTube recommends I watch videos that teach English as a second language. One of them is entitled "APRENDA 1000 PALAVRAS EM INGLÊS QUE VÃO TRANSFORMAR SUA COMUNICAÇÃO". YouTube's algorithm seems to "believe" I can understand Portuguese well enough to watch a video :lol:! Now I wonder if there's a way to get the algorithm to recommend more videos in Catalan?
3 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:11 am

mick33 wrote:Now I wonder if there's a way to get the algorithm to recommend more videos in Catalan?

Well, find two or three videos in Catalan. I watched two snooker videos - the first because all the red balls were down in one corner with one irritating ball in another colour blocking the hole, the second because a lady named Mink played against a male person (I have forgotten his name, but he was allegedly worried) - and I didn't even watch all of that last one, but afterwards the damned algorithm thing believes that I truly dig snooker. I could just remove the cookies, but then the thing might surmise that I yearned to watch cat videos... or 'funny' videos made by selfdestructive youngsters.

Kunst018 - horisontal version.jpg

By the way, I have found some channels with science videos in Spanish and Portuguese - and I actually do think that I also have watched Catalan science videos several times so I did a test. I searched for "ciència catala" - and found several videos about science by a man named Català, but that's enough to get started. Right now I'm listening to "Els mites de la ciència: Daniel Closa at TEDxAndorralaVella" with a man that just talks in Catalan with subtitles. I don't need the subtitles any more, but earlier in my learning process it would have been just the right kind of content.

And apart from that: being a proud nerd I have written quite a few entries in this thread, so let me just mention the books that I currently have stocked on the chair that makes it out for a nighttable in my house: "Prima mea călătorie în străinitate" in Romanian (plus Langenscheidt's tiniest Romanian-German dictionary), "Teach yourself Samoan" from 1973 (and no, I don't intend to study Samoan), Saraiva's "História concisa de Portugal" (so far they have discovered Brazil and wonder what to do now),"Ρόδος - το νησή του Ήλιου" (a Guide to Rhodes), "Historia de la universala lingvo Volapuko" in Esperanto and "40 leçons pour découvrir le grec ancien" (so far unused). The last couple of nights I have read excerpts from the Rhodes book, but being reading materials to fall asleep on all these books seem to have the same effect: I fall asleep.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
3 x

gsbod
Blue Belt
Languages: English (native)
German (advanced)
French (intermediate)
Japanese (intermediate)
Spanish (learning)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1152

Postby gsbod » Sat Mar 04, 2023 6:28 pm

Cycling home, tired and hungry after a long day shopping, you and your husband start reciting the first lesson from the German Assimil course you studied maybe a decade ago: "Ich bin müde. Ich habe Hunger. Dort ist ein Restaurant. Aber...das Restaurant ist zu teuer!"
7 x

luke
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N). Spanish (intermediate), Esperanto (B1), French (intermediate but rusting)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16948

Postby luke » Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:47 pm

You always read new posts to this thread.
8 x
: 124 / 124 Cien años de soledad 20x
: 5479 / 5500 5500 pages - Reading
: 51 / 55 FSI Basic Spanish 3x
: 309 / 506 Camino a Macondo

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:19 pm

...spam adverts on YouTube for SECRETS TO MAKING YOUR MILLIONS IN TRADING are welcome because they're in another language.
2 x

tommus
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), French (B2), Dutch (B2)

Postby tommus » Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:11 pm

... when you believe you have the world's largest collection of unused language learning material in your target language.
6 x
Dutch: 01 September -> 31 December 2020
Watch 1000 Dutch TV Series Videos : 40 / 1000

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:22 pm

...when you book your holiday destinations on the basis of your current TL above any other reason.
5 x

Raconteur
Green Belt
Languages: ­✄ ✄ ✄
Fʟᴜᴇɴᴛ(ish): Polski, English
Lᴇᴀʀɴɪɴɢ: Français, Italiano
Pᴀᴜsᴇᴅ: Türkçe

Postby Raconteur » Sat Mar 04, 2023 10:39 pm

Some random hits from the before times :D – any of you still visit our old clubhouse?
You listen to foreign pop music even though you absolutely hate it in English.
J-Learner, 2009
when you wander around a neighborhood and ask for directions you don't need just to get more experience with a certain language
ilcommunication, 2009
When you're mad at your parents for not raising you bilingual, even when they are not.
Minlawc, 2009
When you teach your dogs commands (sit, lay down, etc.) in different languages.
Georgiana, 2009
when you need to catalogue all the recordings and songs you've downloaded - many of which you haven't got round to looking at - but you know for certain that at some point in time that Hungarian weather forecast from 1993 will come in useful!
Skyr, 2011
When getting a "useful" vote here is infinitely more exciting then any vote you may get any where else, or any other "like", for that matter.
psy88, 2011
when you tell your friend that you want to show her something exciting and she's immediately surprised when she finds out that it's not at all language-related.
ellasevia, 2011
When you consider picking up a new language because your university offers free 3-credit language classes
stifa, 2012
When your priest starts speaking in Latin while you're at Mass and you don't even notice until several moments later, because you understand exactly what he is saying.
Amerykanka, 2013
[When] after reading ten pages in a row, you realize that to you these people are all heroes
Darustet, 2012
After a few hundred more pages, though, we probably look more obsessive that heroic !
meramarina 2012
This is just a random sampling, not a comprehensive dive for the tastiest morsels. Some real fun ones about old tech as well :)
6 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”