You know you're a language nerd when…

General discussion about learning languages
Monox D. I-Fly
Blue Belt

Re: You know you're a language nerd when…

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:08 pm

When your old HTLAL account has more number of votes than the number of posts.
0 x
Read 5,000 pages of Arabic books: 5 / 5000
Watch 9,000 minutes of Arabic videos: 19 / 9000

Read 5,000 pages of Japanese books: 1 / 5000
Watch 9,000 minutes of Japanese videos: 297 / 9000

SGP
Blue Belt
Languages: DE (native), EN (C2), ES (B2), FR (B2); some more at various levels
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 30#p120230

Postby SGP » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:53 pm

Monox D. I-Fly wrote:When your old HTLAL account has more number of votes than the number of posts.
That is very language geeky.
0 x
Previously known as SGP. But my mental username now is langmon.

Log

SGP
Blue Belt

Postby SGP » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:54 pm

SGP wrote:
Monox D. I-Fly wrote:When your old HTLAL account has more number of votes than the number of posts.
That is very language geeky.

When you only make a post in this thread in order to reply to yourself while also having introduced a new word because of this thread's on-topic off-topics.
0 x

Log

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:00 pm

It is very geeky even to be the last active poster there.
3 x

SGP
Blue Belt

Postby SGP » Tue Jan 01, 2019 7:23 pm

Iversen wrote:

It is very geeky even to be the last active poster there.

First off, I am not competing with anyone on "Who is more geeky".
Second, Monox is a fellow learner, and also already got through 50% of what makes one a Language Colega Colega of mine, rather than a Language Colega only.
Third, since this is the Langue Non-Vague Nerdity a.k.a. Lingua Geek Y Ness a.k.a. Advanced Polyglotomology Thread, I simply mention another on-topic reason:

When you tried to register at HTLAL one or two months ago, despite knowing that that forum is far from active, but you still want to write (Edit: or simply to be) there, too... just to realize that registering results in a HTTP Something Mumbo Jumbo Error, or a Similar Python PHP Whatever Seven Seas Message-in-a-Bottle.

Dat whole post be someting mi nah even imagine fi mek outside of dis tread.
But because dat tread be speshal, I still be meking it. And as I keep telling ya, when I seh someting, I mean it.
1 x

Log

AndyMeg
Blue Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2-C1), Japanese (A2-B1), Korean (Lower Intermediate?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 02#p201902

Postby AndyMeg » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:50 pm

When you walk past your mom who is watching a video, then something you hear catches your attention, so you stop and start listening more carefully. Then you turn back and ask your mom, who is mainly a monolingual native speaker of spanish: "What are you watching?". And she says: "Just a video about crafts". And you can't stop yourself of going in front of her smartphone to see said video and confirm that what she is watching is actually in thai. :o

Crafts tutorials certainly share a universal language!
4 x
Beyond The Story 10 Year Record of BTS Korean version: 36 / 522

SGP
Blue Belt

Postby SGP » Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:59 pm

When you are called Monox and you like my Too Bizarre Language What Is SGP Even Talking About ?!??!? Post about what he (SGP) calls "Advanced Linguisticalistical Polyglomotogology or whatever other home-made made-up term he used instead".
1 x

Log

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Thu Jan 03, 2019 8:34 pm

When you become extremely critical of people getting a language degree (=getting a degree for your hobby, while you destroy your life for a much more difficult one).

I've just accidentally googled a seemingly interesting BA work on comparing French and Spanish from the point of view of a Czech. Sounds great, doesn't it? Well, I don't even need to read the whole text. There is a whole page of resources and just one of the books is by a native author? And it is a book used for a quote to illustrate stuff on (you know, the way you could quote Dante in any work on Italian). And the person really compares the speed at which Spanish and French are spoken like "the pace of Spanish is very fast, like filled with the southerners' temperament". ??!! And the person mixes the pace and accent together (in one sentece) and comes to genious findings at the end of the paper, like "there is ç in French and ñ in Spanish", all that after three years of university studies focused just on the two languages?!

Really, give me one weekend and that person's degree! She doesn't deserve it at all.
As a reward, you'll get a much more valuable work for your library.
4 x

Cèid Donn
Blue Belt
Languages: en-us (n); français, gàidhlig, gaeilge, cymraeg, brezhoneg, español

Postby Cèid Donn » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:33 pm

When you watch a TV show that has a storyline that involves the country of origin of one of your TLs whihc includes a very non-native actor saying a couple of words in that language for "authenticity," and 4 days later. you're still fixated on that actor's abysmal, Muppet-esque pronunciation of those 2 words.

It was just 2 words, Cèid. Let it go.
8 x
Note from an educator and former ESL/test skills tutor: Any learner, including self-learners, can use the CEFR for self-assessment. The CEFR is for helping learners progress and not for gatekeeping and bullying.

Monox D. I-Fly
Blue Belt

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:27 pm

When you endure reading a song lyric in your target language which tells about a man complimenting his lover when the latter is applying make-ups despite you don't like girls wearing make-ups.
0 x
Read 5,000 pages of Arabic books: 5 / 5000
Watch 9,000 minutes of Arabic videos: 19 / 9000

Read 5,000 pages of Japanese books: 1 / 5000
Watch 9,000 minutes of Japanese videos: 297 / 9000

Return to “General Language Discussion”