You know you're a language nerd when…

General discussion about learning languages
AndyMeg
Blue Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2-C1), Japanese (A2-B1), Korean (Lower Intermediate?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 02#p201902

Re: You know you're a language nerd when…

Postby AndyMeg » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:00 am

mick33 wrote:One of my favorite games is called "Confuse my internet browser" by changing the language settings every day. Google Chrome can't decide if my search results should be in Finnish, Swedish, Hungarian, or Spanish :lol:!

I think I'm having a similar situation with Netflix. I have different profiles for different languages. In my Korean profile I was watching a Korean drama with Korean subs but then I wanted to watch it with Spanish subs, but there was not an option for that, so I created a Netflix profile with Spanish as the main language. I got English and Spanish (from Spain and from Latin America) subs as options, but the Korean subs option disappeared (even in the profile that has Korean as the main/interface language :shock:). My intial plan was to first watch an episode with Spanish subs and then re-watch it with Korean subs, but now I think I'll have to wait until I finish the whole drama so I can delete the Spanish profile and create a new Korean profile that, hopefully, will bring the Korean subs option back for that drama. :roll:
3 x
Beyond The Story 10 Year Record of BTS Korean version: 36 / 522

AndyMeg
Blue Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2-C1), Japanese (A2-B1), Korean (Lower Intermediate?)

Postby AndyMeg » Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:22 am

When you are reacting to an image your Spanish-speaking friend sent you, and it takes you three attempts to correctly change the "laugh" to the corresponding language:

I went from hahahaha... to ㅋㅋㅋ... to, finally, jajajaja...

:lol: :lol: :lol:
7 x

Bilingual_monoglot
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (n) Tamil (n-heritage) French Esperanto (can talk about language policy/lepak, and nothing else) Hindi (bumbling tourist) Malay (basic conversations) Chinese (introductions and ordering food)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16715

Postby Bilingual_monoglot » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:18 pm

When you take your lecture notes in Esperanto
And when you then cause your friend to take their notes in Korean
1 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:35 pm

When you play Code names in L2 (and you're not worse at it than the natives around you) and you mess up a word because of a false friend in your L3. :-D
3 x

PfifltriggPi
Green Belt
Languages: Uses daily : Français (heritage) English
Reads : Castellano, Català, Italiano, Lingua Latina
Studying: Українська мова, Ελληνικά
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=4860

Postby PfifltriggPi » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:23 am

AndyMeg wrote:When you are reacting to an image your Spanish-speaking friend sent you, and it takes you three attempts to correctly change the "laugh" to the corresponding language:

I went from hahahaha... to ㅋㅋㅋ... to, finally, jajajaja...

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I've given up and just say "mdr" pretty much everywhere.

.... When you have a thick French or Italian accent in English half the time
.... When you conclude that you don't use the majority language of the place you live the majority of the time.
.... You pick at random from the music you have on your computer and are somewhat bemused to understand what you are listening without being able to recognize what language it is.
.... You are with a friend at a bookstore speaking with her in French while trying to buy books from someone who only speaks English, and was probably somewhat bemused at the whole affair.
.... When pronouncing or writing a name of a person, place or book in a language you speak while speaking another language causes you to switch into the other language.
(ie "No, I have a copy of Les misérables que j'ai acheté à Montréal, mais je l'ai pas encore read yet.)
.... You speak Italian in your Latin class and confuse everyone.
3 x
Please correct my errors in any tongue.

"Зброя - слово." - Леся Українка

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Am. English (N), German, French, ASL (abandoned), Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Japanese (N2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12230

Postby golyplot » Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:15 am

AndyMeg wrote:I think I'm having a similar situation with Netflix. I have different profiles for different languages. In my Korean profile I was watching a Korean drama with Korean subs but then I wanted to watch it with Spanish subs, but there was not an option for that, so I created a Netflix profile with Spanish as the main language. I got English and Spanish (from Spain and from Latin America) subs as options, but the Korean subs option disappeared (even in the profile that has Korean as the main/interface language :shock:). My intial plan was to first watch an episode with Spanish subs and then re-watch it with Korean subs, but now I think I'll have to wait until I finish the whole drama so I can delete the Spanish profile and create a new Korean profile that, hopefully, will bring the Korean subs option back for that drama. :roll:

That's odd. In my experience, Netflix usually remembers your most recently/frequently used language options, even when you change the profile language. You can always force an option to appear if available by changing your profile to that language, but it will usually stick around when you change back, as long as you don't change it to another language which kicks it off the top 6 spots. The "stickiness" may also depend on how long you watch stuff in that language. It's hard to tell what goes on behind the scenes, but it seems to me that Netflix does try to be smart about these things.
1 x

AndyMeg
Blue Belt

Postby AndyMeg » Thu Feb 06, 2020 2:25 pm

golyplot wrote:
AndyMeg wrote:I think I'm having a similar situation with Netflix. I have different profiles for different languages. In my Korean profile I was watching a Korean drama with Korean subs but then I wanted to watch it with Spanish subs, but there was not an option for that, so I created a Netflix profile with Spanish as the main language. I got English and Spanish (from Spain and from Latin America) subs as options, but the Korean subs option disappeared (even in the profile that has Korean as the main/interface language :shock:). My intial plan was to first watch an episode with Spanish subs and then re-watch it with Korean subs, but now I think I'll have to wait until I finish the whole drama so I can delete the Spanish profile and create a new Korean profile that, hopefully, will bring the Korean subs option back for that drama. :roll:

That's odd. In my experience, Netflix usually remembers your most recently/frequently used language options, even when you change the profile language. You can always force an option to appear if available by changing your profile to that language, but it will usually stick around when you change back, as long as you don't change it to another language which kicks it off the top 6 spots. The "stickiness" may also depend on how long you watch stuff in that language. It's hard to tell what goes on behind the scenes, but it seems to me that Netflix does try to be smart about these things.

Maybe it's because at had been watching that drama in offline mode and deleted the episodes after watching, so it didn't register that I had been actually watching that drama with Korean CC subs.

Weird thing is that I tried changing my multilanguage profile (because in this profile I change the main language a lot) from Japanese to Korean and there I could finally find the Korean CC subs for that drama, while my other Korean profile is still stuck with only English and Spanish as options for subs.

I have a profile with no specific main language (which is different from my multilanguage profile) and there I usually get Spanish, English and Korean CC subs options for most Korean dramas, but for this particular Korean-drama (plus a few others) it initially didn't show subs options at all. That's why I decided to create a "Korean profile" to see if I could at least get Korean CC subs for that drama, and it did work, and then, in my "no-specific-langauge" profile the option to watch that drama with Korean CC subs suddenly appeared.

It's nice that Netflix tries to be smart with the language options it presents, but maybe sometimes it's too smart for its own good. It'd be easier if I could choose all the language options I want to be offered instead of having to play with changing my profiles language settings one at a time.
2 x

MrsStarez
Yellow Belt
Languages: I can read and write French, but my spoken capabilities are limited. I'm looking to develop further, especially in a business sense, as I'm getting increasingly asked if I would be able to use French at work.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... php?t=8933

Postby MrsStarez » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:00 pm

Not entirely sure if this counts, but I had been watching The Crown on Netflix with French audio and subtitles, for a bit of practice. But I’ve had to revert to my native English, because it just seems wrong having the Queen speak French!
0 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Am. English (N), German, French, ASL (abandoned), Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Japanese (N2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12230

Postby golyplot » Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:03 pm

When you're watching the French dub of Carmen Sandiego and you're impressed that they took the trouble to dub the background opera singing into French as well. Then you look it up and realize that the opera actually is in French and they didn't redub it at all.
3 x

mentecuerpo
Blue Belt
Location: El Salvador, Centroamerica, but lives in Phoenix, Arizona.
Languages: Spanish (N) English (B2) Italian (A2) German (A1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 18#p155218

Postby mentecuerpo » Tue Mar 10, 2020 5:33 pm

You are brushing your teeth doing Glossika.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”