You know you're a language nerd when…

General discussion about learning languages
kulaputra
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Kannada (semi-native, illiterate), Spanish (~C1), Hindi (A2 speech, B1 comprehension), French (A1 speech, A2 listening, >=B1 reading), Mandarin Chinese (~A1)

Re: You know you're a language nerd when…

Postby kulaputra » Mon Jun 25, 2018 5:58 am

luke wrote:
Ásynja wrote:..Mmm I wonder if he knows that heart and cœur come from the same word.

And cœur and courage...

And cardio and accord and miscreant and record and credit and credulous and a whole bunch more (and that's just in English)
3 x
Iha śāriputra: rūpaṃ śūnyatā śūnyataiva rūpaṃ; rūpān na pṛthak śūnyatā śunyatāyā na pṛthag rūpaṃ; yad rūpaṃ sā śūnyatā; ya śūnyatā tad rūpaṃ.

--Heart Sutra

Please correct any of my non-native languages, if needed!

Monox D. I-Fly
Blue Belt

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Fri Jun 29, 2018 12:21 pm

When you guess that kulaputra is male because it means "I am male" in your mother language.
2 x
Read 5,000 pages of Arabic books: 5 / 5000
Watch 9,000 minutes of Arabic videos: 19 / 9000

Read 5,000 pages of Japanese books: 1 / 5000
Watch 9,000 minutes of Japanese videos: 297 / 9000

kulaputra
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), Kannada (semi-native, illiterate), Spanish (~C1), Hindi (A2 speech, B1 comprehension), French (A1 speech, A2 listening, >=B1 reading), Mandarin Chinese (~A1)

Postby kulaputra » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:09 pm

Monox D. I-Fly wrote:When you guess that kulaputra is male because it means "I am male" in your mother language.

What language?

It's a Sanskrit term mostly from Mahayana Buddhist scriptures literally meaning "son of a noble lineage" but usually used to refer to lay male Buddhists.
0 x
Iha śāriputra: rūpaṃ śūnyatā śūnyataiva rūpaṃ; rūpān na pṛthak śūnyatā śunyatāyā na pṛthag rūpaṃ; yad rūpaṃ sā śūnyatā; ya śūnyatā tad rūpaṃ.

--Heart Sutra

Please correct any of my non-native languages, if needed!

Monox D. I-Fly
Blue Belt

Postby Monox D. I-Fly » Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:00 pm

kulaputra wrote:
Monox D. I-Fly wrote:When you guess that kulaputra is male because it means "I am male" in your mother language.

What language?

It's a Sanskrit term mostly from Mahayana Buddhist scriptures literally meaning "son of a noble lineage" but usually used to refer to lay male Buddhists.

Formal Javanese, and Javanese language in general is derived from Sanskrit.
1 x
Read 5,000 pages of Arabic books: 5 / 5000
Watch 9,000 minutes of Arabic videos: 19 / 9000

Read 5,000 pages of Japanese books: 1 / 5000
Watch 9,000 minutes of Japanese videos: 297 / 9000

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:28 am

...when you want to complain share your worries about exams and studies you need to do IN your target language, one that you are advanced in and take it as a normal thing, and you are annoyed as everyone completely ignores all your points and turns everything into the "what about the language barrier?" and "you are so good to do this in another language" or "isn't it too hard in another language?" cliché and is unable to move on from that.

Has noone been listening? The language is NOT the problem, it is The Easiest Part of the whole thing, there is no language barrier at all. Could anyone just accept that speaking more than one language well is normal and actually take interest in what I am really stressed about?

:-D :-D :-D (the desperate not-sure-whether-to-laugh-or-cry-or-scream kind of laughter, happening after the 1001st situation like that)

P.S. and please, could people stop telling me stuff like "if you are so good in this or that language, that huge scary hypercompetitive exam in something language unrelated is not gonna be a problem ;-) "? Especially when the most recent example of my supposed awesomeness is being my low level Italian. That makes me even more scared! :-D

I dream of a world, where people will take foreign languages and being good at at least one or two of them as something normal. Where I'll be allowed to have a conversation with random people including something related to languages without it turning into fighting clichés and being constantly driven away from the main point and tons of unsolicited bs advice from monolinguals (because there would be no monolinguals!).
3 x

Arnaud
Blue Belt
Languages: Native: French
Intermediate: English, Russian, Italian
Tourist : Breton, Greek, Chinese, Japanese, German, Spanish, Latin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=1524

Postby Arnaud » Tue Jul 03, 2018 8:22 am

...when the 3rd of July, you read in your german textbook that today is Tuesday the third of July....;)
German, how to speak and write it by Joseph Rosenberg, p57.
How did he know it ?
4 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:52 am

When you meet someone at a gathering who speaks Irish, you entertain that person with your memories of a language with words that are inflected at both ends, with least half the written vowels being silent even after the latest ortography reform, inversion being a no-no and hardly anyone speaking the official language of a country etc. etc. - all in good spirit, however. And then you get the idea to check whether there is an Assimil booklet about Irish at the Assimil stand, and yes there is, and then you read it during the gathering, but then let Irish be Irish for a couple of weeks. And then last week you want to check out a few details from Assimil and ... well, now I'm studying the grammar and in between also some pages from Harry Potter to see how this weird language behaves in real life.

My multiconfused log has been cluttered with ultraconfused effusions about subtle details Irish grammar for several days in a row now, and I have absolutely no practical benefit from learning this language since 98% of all Irish (including those in Ulster) would hate me for trying to use it on their wet green island, and the remaining 2% wouldn't be able to understand my broken version of their language - if it is a language, indeed, and not just a bundle of dialects. My grammars and textbooks can't even agree on the number of cases or whether or not to put a "do" before past tense verbs. And all this because I met someone at a gathering who belonged to the 2% or so of the Irish who actually spoke this arcane mystery of a language.
10 x

Teango
Blue Belt
Languages: en (n)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 9&p=235545

Postby Teango » Tue Jul 03, 2018 7:54 pm

Fair play to ya, Iversen! 8-)
0 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Tue Jul 03, 2018 10:08 pm

When it's past midnight, and you decide to take a walk by the sea because it's a good opportunity to listen to Urdu and practice sentences...
10 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

tiia
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (?), Finnish (C1), Spanish (B2??), Swedish (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=2374

Postby tiia » Wed Jul 04, 2018 4:39 am

jeff_lindqvist wrote:When it's past midnight, and you decide to take a walk by the sea because it's a good opportunity to listen to Urdu and practice sentences...

Just out of curiosity: How much light do you have at night times? I mean it's still a bit more in the south from my point of view.
0 x
Corrections for entries written in Finnish, Spanish or Swedish are welcome.
Project 30+X: 25 / 30

Return to “General Language Discussion”