You know you're a language nerd when…

General discussion about learning languages
AndyMeg
Blue Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), English (B2-C1), Japanese (A2-B1), Korean (Lower Intermediate?)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 02#p201902

Re: You know you're a language nerd when…

Postby AndyMeg » Mon Dec 25, 2017 12:59 am

Serpent wrote:
AndyMeg wrote:When you are trying to write something with your PC's keyboard and it doesn't work as you expected. Then you remember that you have the IME (input method editor) set for a different language, so you need to change it to the language you are trying to write in.

And when the above happens many times a week or even many times a day. :mrgreen:

When it's such a natural part of your life that it happens when you respond to this post :D

Also, this regularly happens to most (if not all) of those whose native language doesn't use the Latin alphabet, including those who aren't language nerds at all :D

When you're hesitant to post this because you don't want to be the party-pooper :D

As spanish is my native language, I didn't even think about that. It's so interesting to see things from a different perspective! :o

Serpent wrote:In fact, to raise the bar... YKYALNW you learn to read Russian when written with the respective English keys (ерфе рфму тщерштп ещ вщ цшер еру Кгыышфт щтуы)

F djn b ghbvth-

For korean I got used to write with the Latin letters but I've never tried to read it with their Latin letters keys equivalent.

gksrnrdj --> 한국어 --> hangugeo
0 x
Beyond The Story 10 Year Record of BTS Korean version: 36 / 522

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:46 pm

When the magazine rack of your coffee table contains eight grammars, five dictionaries and zero magazines.
9 x

Josquin
Blue Belt
Languages: German (native); English (advanced fluency); French (basic fluency); Italian, Swedish, Russian, Irish (intermediate); Dutch, Icelandic, Japanese, Portuguese, Scottish Gaelic (beginner); Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Sanskrit (reading only)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=737

Postby Josquin » Sat Dec 30, 2017 9:28 pm

... when you get yourself through family Christmas dinner by thinking of Ancient Greek grammar.
11 x
Oró, sé do bheatha abhaile! Anois ar theacht an tsamhraidh.

Sarafina
Green Belt
Languages: English (N)
French (Intermediate )
Japanese (Beginner)
Yoruba (Advanced Comprehension)

Postby Sarafina » Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:34 pm

When your friend is taking a gap year and all you can think about is how much free time they'll have to learn another language.
5 x

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:58 am

...when you talk to a dog in Esperanto (and don't get disappointed from not getting a reply).
...when you decide to squeeze in a half hour of Cantonese and another of Czech just before New Year's Eve dinner.
...when you do the last Anki session of the year an hour before midnight.
...when you wish your family members Happy New Year in Spanish before you leave.
...when you spend the first hours of 2018 on Llorg.
15 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

alexkelbo
Orange Belt
Languages: German (N), English (C1), Spanish, Mandarin

Postby alexkelbo » Mon Jan 01, 2018 3:35 pm

... you regularly come up with new reasons why you're a language nerd. ;)
6 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:29 pm

Josquin wrote:... when you get yourself through family Christmas dinner by thinking of Ancient Greek grammar.

Is it a reliable method? I should probably take up Ancient (or at least Modern) Greek during 2018 :-D

...when you go through a local bookstore during the after Christmas sales, and can't even buy much. Why? Because their offer for your target language falls in two categories: crap and stuff you've already got.
2 x

Mooby
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Polish, German, Turkish

Postby Mooby » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:48 pm

jeff_lindqvist wrote:...when you talk to a dog in Esperanto (and don't get disappointed from not getting a reply).
...when you decide to squeeze in a half hour of Cantonese and another of Czech just before New Year's Eve dinner.
...when you do the last Anki session of the year an hour before midnight.
...when you wish your family members Happy New Year in Spanish before you leave.
...when you spend the first hours of 2018 on Llorg.

I think you've out-nerded us all there, Jeff :lol:
Congratulations and nerdifications for 2018
4 x

mick33
Orange Belt
Languages: First language: English
Languages I'm focusing on learning now: Italian.
Languages I'm learning but not focusing on: Afrikaans, Polish, Finnish Turkish, Spanish, Swedish, Catalan, Hungarian, Russian.
Just for fun I sometimes learn a little of: Hindi, Japanese, Indonesian, Georgian, Thai etc.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=762

Postby mick33 » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:04 am

When I watch random videos on YouTube and get pop-up notices in Finnish asking me to "Auta kääntämään tämä video kielelle Italia" (Help translate this video into Italian). A few thoughts come to mind: 1. Why is YouTube asking me for Italian translations when I haven't watched anything in Italian in at least a year? :lol: 2. I wonder if Google (who own YouTube) is trying to tell me I should focus on learning Italian this year :? . 3. I didn't know that the "-lle" suffix in Finnish could be used for writing or talking about languages. 3b. Is that sentence even correct Finnish?
Last edited by mick33 on Wed Oct 04, 2023 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:47 am

The sentence sounds a bit contrived, but it's fairly standard in online interfaces where the blanks are filled seamlessly in English :? Normally one would say italiaksi :)
2 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Return to “General Language Discussion”