You know you're a language nerd when…

General discussion about learning languages
Josquin
Blue Belt
Languages: German (native); English (advanced fluency); French (basic fluency); Italian, Swedish, Russian, Irish (intermediate); Dutch, Icelandic, Japanese, Portuguese, Scottish Gaelic (beginner); Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Sanskrit (reading only)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=737

Re: You know you're a language nerd when…

Postby Josquin » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:15 pm

... when you're looking for your Portuguese course and come across your old courses for Russian, Mandarin, Dutch, Arabic, and Irish, which immediately makes you want to study all those languages again.
7 x
Oró, sé do bheatha abhaile! Anois ar theacht an tsamhraidh.

aquarius
White Belt
Languages: German (N), English, French, Italian, Spanish (a bit), Catalan (a bit), Polish (learning), Slovak (a bit)

Postby aquarius » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:30 pm

When you suddenly come up with the idea of creating a new Slavic language that combines the most difficult and irregular features of the Polish and the Czech language.
5 x

zatris
Yellow Belt
Languages: Portuguese (native), English (?), Latin (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 81&p=92296

Postby zatris » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:09 pm

When you have fun (lots of it) installing keyboards of languages with non-Latin scripts on your phone and toying with them on a Sunday night.

And you know language-nerdiness is contagious when your girlfriend, on the receiving end of the chat you're flooding with rubbish in dozens of different scripts, have fun as well.

(Ok, I admit: part of the fun was drawing little guys, tables and houses with the Korean alphabet.)

Warning: browsing the languages tab on SwiftKey config can be very damaging to your productivity.
3 x
Corrections are welcome.

I have the patience of an ox. (Gustave Doré)

languist
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N)
Learning: Mostly, how to procrastinate + French, Spanish, Darija, Russian, Slovak, Circassian, Greek
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7523

Postby languist » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:15 pm

... when you listen to linguistics lectures in the bath.
... when your family and friends are constantly laughing at you for the "weird noises" coming out of your phone.
... when doing IPA drills is your idea of a fun night in.
7 x

Mooby
Orange Belt
Polish, German, Turkish

Postby Mooby » Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:27 pm

When you're taking part in a swim for charity, and constantly lose count of how many lengths you've swum because your mind is preoccupied with conjugating the determinate and indeterminate imperfective verb for 'to swim' (płynąć + pływać).
5 x

Ogrim
Brown Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N) English (C2), French (C2), Spanish (C2), German (B2), Romansh (B2), Italian (B2), Catalan (B2), Russian (B1), Latin (B2), Dutch (B1), Croatian (A2), Arabic (on hold), Ancient Greek (learning), Romanian (on hold)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?t=873

Postby Ogrim » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:19 pm

When you have a dream in which you find yourself in a remote location outside London waiting for rdearman who has asked you over to practise French. (I do wonder though why he wanted to meet in an abandoned factory building - I woke up before he got round to explaining. :? )
10 x
Ich grolle nicht

rdearman
Site Admin
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Tue Jan 16, 2018 2:23 pm

Ogrim wrote:When you have a dream in which you find yourself in a remote location outside London waiting for rdearman who has asked you over to practise French. (I do wonder though why he wanted to meet in an abandoned factory building - I woke up before he got round to explaining. :? )

That is where I hide all the kidnapped French people and force them to listen to my French. bwwwwaaaagghhhhhaaaa :twisted:

(Not really, I'm joking. I've never kidnapped anyone.)
9 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:14 pm

rdearman wrote:
Ogrim wrote:When you have a dream in which you find yourself in a remote location outside London waiting for rdearman who has asked you over to practise French. (I do wonder though why he wanted to meet in an abandoned factory building - I woke up before he got round to explaining. :? )

That is where I hide all the kidnapped French people and force them to listen to my French. bwwwwaaaagghhhhhaaaa :twisted:

(Not really, I'm joking. I've never kidnapped anyone.)

So, that's how you keep them from switching to English! How comes I didn't think of that!
4 x

Chung
Blue Belt
Languages: SPEAKS: English*, French
STUDIES: Hungarian, Italian
OTHER: Czech, German, Polish, Slovak, Ukrainian
STUDIED: Azeri, BCMS/SC, Estonian, Finnish, Korean, Latin, Northern Saami, Russian, Slovenian, Turkish
DABBLED: Bashkir, Chuvash, Crimean Tatar, Inari Saami, Kazakh, Kyrgyz, Latvian, Lithuanian, Meadow Mari, Mongolian, Romanian, Tatar, Turkmen, Tuvan, Uzbek

Postby Chung » Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:47 pm

...you burn up your lunch hour scouring newspapers and online dictionaries to add translations on Unilang of the latest Trumpism.

(if you seriously want to do a good deed for the language-learning community today, add a translation to that thread!)
3 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Thu Jan 18, 2018 10:22 am

This is the SMS convo your daughter starts with you:

IMG_5553.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
8 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Return to “General Language Discussion”