You know you're a language nerd when…

General discussion about learning languages
Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Re: You know you're a language nerd when…

Postby Adrianslont » Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:58 am

When you are quite aware of the sure fire topics to reduce a forum/Reddit thread to ashes (or get it locked):

1. Stephen Krashen
2. Definition of fluency
3. Esperanto
4. Grammar v comprehensible input (see no1)
5. Any thread that asks what you dislike eg which accent can’t you stand, which language would you never learn
Last edited by Adrianslont on Fri Mar 10, 2023 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
10 x

Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Postby Adrianslont » Fri Mar 10, 2023 2:03 am

When you immediately write off the online opinion of anyone who writes “grammer”.

Do they have spell check turned off or are they overriding it?

Similarly “would of, should of, could of”

Hell, autocorrect just fixed that for me - I had to override it. That must have come with the latest iOS update.

Apple is doing the work of the gods.
9 x

lavengro
Blue Belt
Languages: English - finally getting a handle on this beast of a language. Also tinkering with a few other languages intermittently.

Postby lavengro » Fri Mar 10, 2023 3:15 am

When there is occasionally just as much fighting between members of your language forum as there is between members of the hockey forum you also participate in, but you don’t mind because unlike the hockey forum kids, at least members of the language forum tend to still have their front teeth.
9 x
This signature space now on loan to the mysterious and enigmatic Breakmaster Cylinder:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hUGKldkiex4

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:51 pm

What advice do you give to people IRL when language learning comes up?
Learn to play pickleball instead.
3 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

jeff_lindqvist
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: sv, en
de, es
ga, eo
---
fi, yue, ro, tp, cy, kw, pt, sk
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=2773

Postby jeff_lindqvist » Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:23 pm

...when you're asked to take an online survey, one of the questions is asked in ungrammatical Swedish (to the level that makes your blood boil), and you do your best to write a polite email suggesting that they let someone proofread it before making it public.

(You know you've made your point when you get a polite reply saying that they corrected their mistake, and hope that I'm no longer in shock. :) )
9 x
Leabhair/Greannáin léite as Gaeilge: 9 / 18
Ar an seastán oíche: Oileán an Órchiste
Duolingo - finished trees: sp/ga/de/fr/pt/it
Finnish with extra pain : 100 / 100

Llorg Blog - Wiki - Discord

garyb
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Native: English
Advanced: Italian, French
Intermediate: Spanish
Beginner: German, Japanese
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1855

Postby garyb » Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:20 am

Adrianslont wrote:Hell, autocorrect just fixed that for me - I had to override it. That must have come with the latest iOS update.

On the other hand, my autocorrect sometimes changes a correct "its" into an incorrect "it's" (this is Android not Apple though) and in the last decade or so I've not seen fewer mistakes in the wild, but just differerent ones, usually incorrect words rather than incorrect spelling. A favourite that I sometimes see at work is "encase", from people who think that "in case" is a single word, and it also seems to be much more common than before to confuse near-but-not-quite-homophones like than/then, were/where, and lose/loose, which are very confusing for the reader but I know that it is the kind of thing that dyslexics struggle with so I sometimes give the benefit of the doubt.

As for me, I use Firefox on my laptop and I've never figured out how to get the spell checker to actually work (and I'm an experienced professional programmer...) so that's my excuse :D
Last edited by garyb on Sat Mar 11, 2023 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:32 am

garyb wrote:
Adrianslont wrote:Hell, autocorrect just fixed that for me - I had to override it. That must have come with the latest iOS update.

On the other hand, my autocorrect sometimes changes a correct "its" into an incorrect "it's" (this is Android not Apple though) and in the last decade or so I've not seen fewer mistakes in the wild, but just differerent ones, usually incorrect words rather than incorrect spelling. A favourite that I sometimes see at work is "encase", from people who think that "in case" is a single word, and it also seems to be much more common than before to confuse near-but-not-quite-homophones like than/then and were/where, the latter one being particularly confusing for the reader but I know that it is the kind of thing that dyslexics struggle with so I sometimes give the benefit of the doubt.

As for me, I use Firefox on my laptop and I've never figured out how to get the spell checker to actually work (and I'm an experienced professional programmer...) so that's my excuse :D

Use the Grammar & Spell Checker—LanguageTool addon. It is opensource and very good. Doesn't multiple languages too.
2 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Sat Mar 11, 2023 10:35 am

garyb wrote:
Adrianslont wrote:Apple is doing the work of the gods.
On the other hand, my autocorrect sometimes changes a correct "its" into an incorrect "it's" (this is Android not Apple though)

Apple you've got a 50-50 chance of it picking the right one.
Well, I say 50-50, but if I swipe for either of them, I actually get "is" as often as not...

(NB. I might be thinking of Apple keyboards here, or the Microsoft keyboard I installed a while ago on the grounds it lets me set up a multilanguage keyboard for codeswitching between Gaelic and English. Can't really be sure...)
1 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Sat Mar 11, 2023 11:08 am

When you have killed the spelling checker :mrgreen: because it couldn't cope with mixed languages - not only the annoying thing that changes your words without asking, but also the one that (often wrongly) suggests that you can't spell. Before I did this everything I wrote in English was disfigured by red wawy lines below the words, and these days I write more in English than in Danish.
5 x

Sae
Green Belt
Languages: English (Native)
Vietnamese (Intermediate)
Mongolian (Beginner)
Tuvan (Beginner)
Toki Pona (Beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18201

Postby Sae » Sat Mar 11, 2023 12:32 pm

When YouTube recommend songs in: Attic Greek, Sumerian, Classical Latin, Old Norse, Old English, Anglo Saxon, Irish, Hebrew, Japanese, Mongolian and so on.

Though seriously, this is kinda badass:
5 x
Vietnamese Practicing conversation
Mongolian: Learning vocab
Tuvan: Building Decks & full study plan
Tuvan Song Progress (0/3): Learning Daglarym - Lyrics & Melody Learned
Language Fitness 1.5 hr exercise p/w

Return to “General Language Discussion”