You know you're a language nerd when…

General discussion about learning languages
zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Re: You know you're a language nerd when…

Postby zenmonkey » Mon Jun 13, 2022 2:55 pm

Cainntear wrote:
luke wrote:
Adrianslont wrote:… when you know Krashenite is not a rare mineral.

When you read this post and begin to wonder, was the original post meant to be a play on "Kryptonite", and all that would imply?

Krashenite is a mineral necessary for the correct function of certain parts of the brain, most notably Broca's area. However, you can't eat it -- it must simply be absorbed...

... with an absorption rate Ka measured in kilo hours.
2 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

BeaP
Green Belt
Languages: Hungarian (N), English, German, Spanish, French, Italian

Postby BeaP » Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:06 pm

... the commercials you get the the most frequently on internet are the following:

1, Are you a Spanish expat living in Hungary? Join our club and keep in touch with your compatriots.
2, A lot of Spanish speakers are struggling with English, you're not the only one. Subscribe to our course and learn English at last.
3, Are you living in an expat bubble? We'll help you learn Hungarian and connect with the natives.
17 x

Le Baron
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English (N), fr, nl, de, eo, Sranantongo,
Maintaining: es, swahili.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=18796

Postby Le Baron » Mon Jun 13, 2022 6:28 pm

BeaP wrote:... the commercials you get the the most frequently on internet are the following:

1, Are you a Spanish expat living in Hungary? Join our club and keep in touch with your compatriots.
2, A lot of Spanish speakers are struggling with English, you're not the only one. Subscribe to our course and learn English at last.
3, Are you living in an expat bubble? We'll help you learn Hungarian and connect with the natives.

The last one especially. :lol:
2 x

MaggieMae
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (C2), Swiss German (depends on the day), Swedish (A1), Mandarin (Beginner)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=18071

Postby MaggieMae » Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:33 pm

...when it takes you weeks to read all 134 pages of this thread because you have to take breaks to do your homework... but you get anxious because you can't read anything else on the forum for fear of losing your place.

...when you just got called out 1334 times in a row. :lol:

...when your "to be learned" list changed with every page.
9 x
Languages: English (N), German (C2), Swiss German (depends on the day), Swedish (A1), Mandarin (beginner)
: 22 / 100 SC Books 22.3/100
: 31 / 100 SC Films 30.7/100

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
• Native: English
• Advanced: French
• Intermediate: German,
   Spanish, Hebrew
• Beginner: Italian,
   Arabic

Postby Deinonysus » Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:19 am

When you want to explain to your wife that your daughter was scared of the flies in a rest stop bathroom on a road trip, but your daughter is in the car with you so you want to be sneaky and say it in French. But you forget the French word for fly so you say it in Hebrew. But your wife doesn't know the Hebrew word for fly. So you resort to a combination of German and pantomime (which is difficult because you're driving).

It was mouche.

When the tickets to a King Tut exhibit cost twice as much as advertised. 1x for the ticket and 1x for the Ancient Egyptian textbook you didn't need.
8 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

Tuckey
Languages: English (N)
French (B2)
German (B2)

Postby Tuckey » Wed Aug 31, 2022 9:22 am

You change the language of your phone to your target language, but you're just a beginner and you can't work out how to change it back :?
9 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Fri Sep 02, 2022 3:45 pm

When you ask your boss for a free day for a language exam. (Don't be too surprised, I am not asking for an extra day. I am asking to get my "weekend" on the exam day that week)

When your main complaint in a very expensive "flexible" language school is not allowing you more than two lessons of progress per week, offering only less structured extra classes instead. But then you don't mind, you'll get more time for the other foreign language.
6 x

mick33
Orange Belt
Languages: First language: English
Languages I'm focusing on learning now: Italian.
Languages I'm learning but not focusing on: Afrikaans, Polish, Finnish Turkish, Spanish, Swedish, Catalan, Hungarian, Russian.
Just for fun I sometimes learn a little of: Hindi, Japanese, Indonesian, Georgian, Thai etc.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=762

Postby mick33 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 4:09 am

When I visited my brother last weekend, he asked me if I'm learning Cambodian. When I told him I wasn't learning Cambodian he then said, "With all the other languages you're learning, why aren't you learning Cambodian?"
8 x

Dragon27
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N)
English - best foreign language
Polish, Spanish - passive advanced
Tatar, German, French, Greek - studying

Postby Dragon27 » Mon Nov 21, 2022 7:37 am

Should have told him "Because I'm learning Khmer".
4 x

raoulhjo
White Belt
Languages: French (N)
English (B2)
Czech (beginner)

Postby raoulhjo » Mon Nov 21, 2022 5:34 pm

You change the language of your phone to your target language, but you're just a beginner and you can't work out how to change it back :?

I was checking the alphabets of my tab and clicked on Korean by mistake. As I don't know that language I was unable to get back to French!
Korean people are very rare where I live. Fortunately I met a woman in my building a few days later who looked oriental Asian. I asked her if she was Korean by any chance. She said 'yes!'. She managed to get my tab back to French.
3 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”