You know you're a language nerd when…

General discussion about learning languages
Teango
Blue Belt
Languages: en (n), de
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 9&p=235545

Re: You know you're a language nerd when…

Postby Teango » Sun May 05, 2024 10:45 pm

When you notice "NO parabens" on your shampoo and conditioner, and think to yourself: both rude and misspelled! :shock:
6 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Fri May 10, 2024 9:10 pm

When you are irritated and feel almost humiliated because you couldn't learn to at least read Czech fluently in a month (too many other projects going on, including visits to some thirty museums in order to draw them plus some gardening, changes to a few hundred files in my photo registration system and other things - but most of all: lack of focus and a spine like boiled macaroni) :oops:. I didn't even expect to learn to speak that damned language, but just being able to read the stuff without a translation or a dictionary should definitely have been possible. Now I'll have go til Praha and creep along the walls after dark in utter shame like a contemptible analphabet just because I wasted that month doing other things.. :roll:
6 x

mick33
Orange Belt
Languages: First language: English
Languages I'm focusing on learning now: Italian.
Languages I'm learning but not focusing on: Dutch, Polish, Finnish, Hungarian, Spanish, Swedish, Catalan.
Just for fun I sometimes learn a little of: Hindi, Georgian, Turkish, Russian, Thai etc.
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=762

Postby mick33 » Sat May 11, 2024 2:25 am

I'm not sure if I should be happy or sad that switching my VPN to Italy and my Google Chrome account to Italian means that YouYube gives me lots of adverts offering to teach me English and all them are in Italian. I got less of this when my Chrome account was set to Polish or Finnish. :?

One definite bright spot is that the latest update for Chrome allows me the option to translate YouTube video titles, descriptions and comments into Italian instead of automatically doing it.
5 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Postby Cainntear » Sat May 11, 2024 11:03 am

mick33 wrote:I'm not sure if I should be happy or sad that switching my VPN to Italy and my Google Chrome account to Italian means that YouYube gives me lots of adverts offering to teach me English and all them are in Italian. I got less of this when my Chrome account was set to Polish or Finnish. :?

One definite bright spot is that the latest update for Chrome allows me the option to translate YouTube video titles, descriptions and comments into Italian instead of automatically doing it.

Ah, but I know I'm a language geek when a website or operating system makes me chose a single language and then translates everything else into it, even from languages I already know... and language that I've listed in my account details at that!
2 x

JLS
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (conversational), Mandarin (beginner), Koine Greek (proficient reader), Biblical Hebrew (intermediate), Latin (past first year level)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=15664

Postby JLS » Sat May 11, 2024 11:40 am

Your passwords are pure hack-proof.

You're not frustrated by the complications of multilingualism; in fact, you kind of relish having problems no one else around you has.

And you feel even better when you realize how hard you worked to get those problems.
2 x
Read Greek New Testament: 61 / 260 - 61 / 260 chapters
Read Hebrew Bible: 107 / 920 - 107 / 920 chapters
Read Vulgate: 87 / 1189 - 87 / 1189 - chapters
Learn Chinese Radicals: 20 / 214 - 20 / 214 radicals

Return to “General Language Discussion”