You know you're a language nerd when…

General discussion about learning languages
IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Re: You know you're a language nerd when…

Postby IronMike » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:56 pm

Please share the Coptic resources when you get them. ;)
7 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

sfuqua
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Bad English: native
Samoan: speak, but rusty
Tagalog: imperfect, but use all the time
Spanish: read
French: read some
Japanese: beginner, obsessively studying
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9248

Postby sfuqua » Fri Jan 19, 2018 8:38 pm

This isn't really funny, but it's true.

My father died in the afternoon a couple of years ago. I was holding his hand when he died.

I went and check into a hotel afterward, and started to make phone calls.

Around nine PM a couple checked into the next room and began to loudly and repeatedly enjoy themselves, and the walls in the hotel were too thin to give them any privacy. I'm all in favor of true love (or true lust) and everything, but I wasn't really in the mood to be an unwilling voyeur that evening.

Assimil over noise isolating headphones kept me distracted from dark thoughts and the activities next door, and let me get to sleep.
8 x
荒海や佐渡によこたふ天の川

the rough sea / stretching out towards Sado / the Milky Way
Basho[1689]

Sometimes Japanese is just too much...

Xenops
Brown Belt
Languages: English (N), Danish (A2), Japanese (rusty), Nansha (constructing)
On break: Japanese (approx. N4), Norwegian (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16797

Postby Xenops » Sat Jan 20, 2018 3:27 am

sfuqua wrote:This isn't really funny, but it's true.

My father died in the afternoon a couple of years ago. I was holding his hand when he died.

Around nine PM a couple checked into the next room and began to loudly and repeatedly enjoy themselves, and the walls in the hotel were too thin to give them any privacy. I'm all in favor of true love (or true lust) and everything, but I wasn't really in the mood to be an unwilling voyeur that evening.

Assimil over noise isolating headphones kept me distracted from dark thoughts and the activities next door, and let me get to sleep.

Along that mood, you know you're a language nerd when life has become stressful, and your coping method is to start learning a language completely unrelated to the ones you know.
10 x
Check out my comic at: https://atannan.com/

peter
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N)
Studying:
Bengali (mostly harmless)
German (beginner)
Latin (beginner)

Postby peter » Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:54 pm

... you lose track of the sport event you are watching because you are trying to keep score in your TL's irregular number system ...

(Now time for the snooker semi-final ... I mean, for some more language practice ... :D )
5 x
"strange accents do not mar fair speech" - Beregond, Return of the King.

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:32 pm

when you hear a language tutoring session not far away from you in a café and have to fight the urge to correct the tutor's mistakes.
11 x

Ingaræð
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), German (heritage)
Learning: Russian, French, German, Mandarin, Arabic, Spanish.
Mostly forgotten: Italian, Welsh.

Postby Ingaræð » Thu Jan 25, 2018 3:32 pm

...you get a new MP3 player and the first thing you put on it is Assimil.
8 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Thu Jan 25, 2018 7:20 pm

You buy a used Garfield in a foreign language for your gf and when you discover that you bought it in Dutch rather than in German you think ....

a) I should start Dutch
b) I can always give away at the next Polyglot Conference
c) don't I know someone that would use it?
d) I can put it with the other Dutch material
e) all of the above

e - the answer is e. :lol:
11 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Deinonysus
Brown Belt
Languages:  
• Native: English
• Advanced: French
• Intermediate: German,
   Spanish, Hebrew
• Beginner: Italian,
   Arabic

Postby Deinonysus » Fri Jan 26, 2018 1:55 am

When you're trying not to waver from French, but you saw a failed "click" joke posted on Reddit and you spend your whole lunch break researching Zulu and Xhosa. Is there an AA for Wanderlust?
4 x
/daɪ.nə.ˈnaɪ.səs/

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Wed Feb 14, 2018 7:01 pm

When you turn off the World of Warcraft, so that you can do more Kwiziq.
4 x

Random Review
Green Belt
Languages: En (N), Es (int), De (pre-int), Pt (pre-int), Zh-CN (beg), El (beg), yid (beg)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 75#p123375

Postby Random Review » Thu Feb 15, 2018 3:21 am

Xenops wrote:
sfuqua wrote:This isn't really funny, but it's true.

Along that mood, you know you're a language nerd when life has become stressful, and your coping method is to start learning a language completely unrelated to the ones you know.

There's a small but vocal minority in the (general) language learning community that are complete and utter snobs. They have this idea that if you don't learn a language to a good level, you're not serious. I think everyone interested in languages can benefit from taking at least one of their languages to a good (B2 or higher) level; but it's a free choice, there's nothing actually wrong with dabbling your whole life if you wish.

I know most of you are sitting there thinking that you never said otherwise, and I know that; but I watch some of the comments online from the minority and feel guilty for dabbling in languages (Yiddish, Modern Greek, Swahili, possibly even Portuguese) that I will likely never get to B2 with.

A concrete example: I really admire Moses McCormac. It's pretty clear that he speaks 2 or 3 languages well and then has a smattering of an absolute ton. I think that is awesome. That's what I want too. Yet some of the disdainful comments I've seen are really horrible. At times (with one guy several years ago in particular) abusive. The problem is that this minority is free to put others down without being pulled up on it by the rest of the community.

Even recently I saw a link on here to a blog post by a smart guy with interesting things to say, in which he referred to a certain kind (in my view a legitimate and even admirable kind) of language lover as "performing monkeys" (I think that was the phrase) and similar disdainful comments. AFAIK he is not a member on here; but he would never have got away with that kind of abusive comment on HTLAL when he was a member.

And yet we read these things, feel guilty, suppress our real wish to study some more basic [insert wanderlust language of your choice] and instead start slogging through advanced material (BUNfun or academic) for [insert core language of your choice] in spite of wanting a break from it.

Having said that, this forum (and HTLAL before it) is pretty good in that regard. I think that's why so many of us are so keen to reveal our guilty secrets (dabbling, wanderlust, etc) on here more often than we really need to: because we would be scared to admit such things on many sites we frequent and find useful.
11 x
German input 100 hours by 30-06: 4 / 100
Spanish input 200 hours by 30-06: 0 / 200
German study 50 hours by 30-06: 3 / 100
Spanish study 200 hours by 30-06: 0 / 200
Spanish conversation 100 hours by 30-06: 0 / 100

Return to “General Language Discussion”