Quebec denies French student's immigration over English thesis chapter

General discussion about learning languages
rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Quebec denies French student's immigration over English thesis chapter

Postby rdearman » Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:16 am

.In its most general sense, a fair use is any copying of copyrighted material done for a limited and “transformative” purpose, such as to comment upon, criticize, or parody a copyrighted work. Such uses can be done without permission from the copyright owner.

It is called fair use in the USA and fair dealing in UK and international copyright laws.

The concept of fair usage exists within UK copyright law; commonly referred to as fair dealing, or free use and fair practice. It’s a framework designed to allow the lawful use or reproduction of work without having to seek permission from the copyright owner(s) or creator(s) or infringing their interest.

Fair use law is not only applicable to text-based works; it applies to musical, dramatic, artistic, literary and typographical works too. However, it does not cover the copyright of printed music.

As an exception to British copyright law, fair dealing is governed by Sections 29 and 30 of the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988, which outlines three instance where fair dealing is a legitimate defence:

If the use is for the purposes of research or private study;
If it is used for the purposes of criticism, review or quotation;
Where it is utilised for the purposes of reporting current events (this does not apply to photographs)

Ideally you should only use short quotations, reference the author or publisher and put it into quotation blocks on the forum.

You can find or information on Wikipedia.

Please note in the event of a "take down notice" from the copyright holder we would immediately remove the section and all references to it.
1 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

bedtime
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (beginner/intermediate), Latin (beginner)

Postby bedtime » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:00 pm

All she had to do was complete the form in French. Sounds like the instructions were quite clear; but she didn't do that. It says a lot about a person when they refuse to follow the directions before even being accepted.

This reminds me of the time when my friend filled out a job application. The application asked for where he worked and some references. Instead of transferring that information from his resume to the application sheet, he wrote, 'Refer to attached resume and references.' It would've taken him 5 minutes to do, but he thought it wasn't necessary for HIM to do.

Job applications ask these questions for a reason; they want specific information in one place for easy viewing. Nobody wants to search through hundreds of resumes trying to whisk out the relevant information. The fact that he didn't take 5 minutes to fill it out would've been an instant denial if I was the boss—if he can't follow instructions, and if he takes shortcuts on his application, how will he perform on the job?

Aside from rules being rules, we all know how important the French language is to most Quebecois; it's a HUGE part their identity. I imagine seeing that English in there got that form tossed into the garbage faster than you could say Jack Robinson.

Her fault. Next time follow rules, don't take shortcuts, and don't ask for special treatment.
0 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:23 pm

bedtime wrote:All she had to do was complete the form in French. Sounds like the instructions were quite clear; but she didn't do that. It says a lot about a person when they refuse to follow the directions before even being accepted…
I must say that this is a new twist to this story. In the Quebec news media and as confirmed by the Minister responsible for the file, the justification for the refusal was that she had not demonstrated that she had received her education in French. That was the reason why she took (and passed) a standardized French test. She hired a lawyer to review her file and he reported that there were no grounds for a legal appeal. None of this smacks of a failure to fill out a form in French (her native language). Could you please provide some evidence of this new version or, at the very least, a source which is prepared to corroborate your story?
4 x

bedtime
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French (beginner/intermediate), Latin (beginner)

Postby bedtime » Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:30 pm

Speakeasy wrote:
bedtime wrote:All she had to do was complete the form in French. Sounds like the instructions were quite clear; but she didn't do that. It says a lot about a person when they refuse to follow the directions before even being accepted…
I must say that this is a new twist to this story. In the Quebec news media and as confirmed by the Minister responsible for the file, the justification for the refusal was that she had not demonstrated that she had received her education in French. That was the reason why she took (and passed) a standardized French test. She hired a lawyer to review her file and he reported that there were no grounds for a legal appeal. None of this smacks of a failure to fill out a form in French (her native language). Could you please provide some evidence of this new version or, at the very least, a source which is prepared to corroborate your story?

Then I've likely gotten the story incorrect. :?
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”