Reviving Colombia's 'language of resistance'

General discussion about learning languages
IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Reviving Colombia's 'language of resistance'

Postby IronMike » Sat Sep 21, 2019 12:25 am

Nice short article on Palenquero.

"When people hear Palenqueros speaking, to them it [appears] a poorly spoken Spanish because they don't understand it. But that's wrong. And because of that, many people stopped speaking Palenquero when they left."
4 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Re: Reviving Colombia's 'language of resistance'

Postby iguanamon » Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:46 am

As one who learns creole languages, it's a familiar story. The French creoles confront the same challenges in the Caribbean... as do the English creoles here, on the mainland US- like Gullah in the sea islands of Georgia, in South America- Sranan Tongo and Saramaccan in Guyana and Suriname, and the English Creoles in Africa, as do the Dutch creoles like Papiamento, and the Portuguese creoles- Kristang, Cape Verdean Creole, Macanese. In the Phillipines, Chavacano is another Spanish based creole language. Is "Spanglish" a creole? Me no know, mehson.

What is the difference between a creole and a non-creole language? Is Afrikaans a Dutch creole? Are the Romance languages creoles of Latin? Is English an Old English-French Creole? Is Hindi a creole of Sanskrit? Are all IE languages simply creoles of Proto Indo-European?

A friend of mine here whose father is from the French island of St Barts (St Barthelemy) was never taught his father's French creole because- he was told that it was "not real French". Ultimately, it's up to the people themselves to value and cherish their languages, nothing less than their unique cultures are at stake. October is Creole Heritage Month throughout the world. The first step is for people within the culture\s communities to see that their language is just as real a language, just as valid and just as good as the parent language(s) are.
3 x

Speakeasy

Postby Speakeasy » Sat Sep 21, 2019 2:33 am

iguanamon wrote: … What is the difference between a creole and a non-creole language? …
Max Weinreich wrote:A language is a dialect with an army and navy
The expression was popularized by linguist Max Weinreich who reportedly heard it spoken by a member of the audience at one of his lectures. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
4 x

tungemål
Blue Belt
Languages: Norwegian (N)
English, German, Spanish, Japanese, Dutch, Polish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=17672

Postby tungemål » Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:18 am

iguanamon wrote:What is the difference between a creole and a non-creole language? Is Afrikaans a Dutch creole? Are the Romance languages creoles of Latin? Is English an Old English-French Creole? Is Hindi a creole of Sanskrit? Are all IE languages simply creoles of Proto Indo-European?

It is interesting to think that some of those languages could have started as a creole. However I think there is a difference between a creole and a non-creole language. A creole is a pidgin language that becomes a stable native language. I don't know much about this but there is a difference, isn't there? even though all languages borrows from other languages.
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”