Powell Alexander Janulus, do you know him?

General discussion about learning languages
aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Re: Powell Alexander Janulus, do you know him?

Postby aokoye » Tue Aug 18, 2015 2:35 am

Spoonary wrote:
galaxyrocker wrote:Edit2:
Apparently this is a book that contains some learning ideas based off his learning methods.

The title of that book hurts my eyes :shock:
Also, I was browsing the reviews on amazon and someone mentioned that one of the ideas in the book is "the silly hat". The idea being that if you wear a silly hat when you talk to people, your embarrassment about making mistakes while speaking your target language will disappear because you've already thrown embarrassment aside by choosing such extravagant headgear. :? :lol:

astromule wrote:Actually, it does. :) We have a source now.

You're right, but we still don't have any proof of that 2-hour fluency test they apparently made him do...

What sort of proof (of the tests) are you looking for? The Guinness Book World Records is generally a pretty good source and they have a history of being rather stringent (as the validity of the primary publication rides on it).

That said that book makes me want to claw my eyes out.
1 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

Spoonary
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Español (Adv), Italiano (Int), Esperanto (I try)

Postby Spoonary » Tue Aug 18, 2015 5:53 pm

aokoye wrote:
Spoonary wrote:You're right, but we still don't have any proof of that 2-hour fluency test they apparently made him do...

What sort of proof (of the tests) are you looking for? The Guinness Book World Records is generally a pretty good source and they have a history of being rather stringent (as the validity of the primary publication rides on it).

I don't really want proof of the tests. What I meant is that we don't know how the writer of the wiki article knew that Mr Janulus had undergone this 2 hour test; that the "source" I found does not cover all the information in that article. But I guess that doesn't matter really... :?
0 x

lichtrausch
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), German, Japanese, Mandarin, Korean

Postby lichtrausch » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:03 pm

aokoye wrote:What sort of proof (of the tests) are you looking for? The Guinness Book World Records is generally a pretty good source and they have a history of being rather stringent (as the validity of the primary publication rides on it).

Ziad Fazah was listed in the Guinness Book for a number of years. That tells me we should at the very least be skeptical of whoever they list now.
2 x

Paul Gossen

Postby Paul Gossen » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:44 pm

I know Powell Janulus very well. He lives in Vancouver Canada and is alive and well. He still practices new languages every day. I attending a class with him last summer, 2014.

I spent several years researching Powell. Most of the research was conducted by Marilyn Atkinson.

You can get a lot of info on Powell Janulus from this book:
http://www.amazon.com/Velocity-Instant-Fluency-Ultimate-Language-ebook/dp/B00SG3XEB0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1441136549&sr=8-1&keywords=velocity+fluency

I hope this helps...

Paul Gossen
1 x

Paul Gossen

Postby Paul Gossen » Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:58 pm

Regarding the two hour fluency test:

His is based on my memory of an interview with Powell Janulus... I still have the interview about this in my video archive:

He was working as a court translator in the early 80's and had to translate many languages every day at work. A friend at work was amazed by his ability and In 1984 he took 2 months off from work to be tested the Guinness book group. They flew him to a location in Europe. The testing took place over a 2 month period. He submitted a list of 64 language for testing. They arranged a native speaker to conduct a 2 hour conversation in each language. This was observed by the Guinness staff. Powell was allowed to make some mistakes, but each native speaker has to feel that they were having conversation with a native speaker. There was a detailed scoring system. At the time Powell was trying for 64 languages, but he only passed with 42. Apparently they never tested him for English, which was his native tongue, so you could say that he is fluency in 43 languages.

Powell has hundreds of amazing language learning stories...! He is quite an amazing fellow...

Is this useful??

Powell Speaks the following 42 languages: French, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Romanian, German, Dutch, Frisian, Norwegian, Danish, Swedish, Icelandic, Russian, Ukrainian, Polish, Czech, Serbian, Slovak, Slovene, Kashub, Lusatian, Wendic, Belarusian, Macedonian, Bulgarian, Punjabi, Hindi, Punjabi, Urdu, Armenian, Sinhalese, Tibetan, Japanese, Mandarin, Cantonese, Croatian, Greek, Turkish, Kurdish, Finnish, Korean and Persian.
2 x

dampingwire
Blue Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (N), French (poor, not studying), Japanese (studying, JLPT N3)

Postby dampingwire » Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:59 pm

Paul Gossen wrote:Powell was allowed to make some mistakes, but each native speaker has to feel that they were having conversation with a native speaker. There was a detailed scoring system.

I can't track down a proper reference to what the GBoWR actually tested for. I assume it was some kind of "fluency", but I doubt that the required target was "native speaker". The video clip on youtube is impressive but his Japanese didn't sound "native" to me (not that I can do better, or even as well, it just clearly wasn't a native speaker).

Paul Gossen wrote:Powell Speaks the following 42 languages: French, Spanish, Portuguese, Italian, Romanian, German, Dutch, Frisian, Norwegian, Danish, Swedish, Icelandic, Russian, Ukrainian, Polish, Czech, Serbian, Slovak, Slovene, Kashub, Lusatian, Wendic, Belarusian, Macedonian, Bulgarian, Punjabi, Hindi, Punjabi, Urdu, Armenian, Sinhalese, Tibetan, Japanese, Mandarin, Cantonese, Croatian, Greek, Turkish, Kurdish, Finnish, Korean and Persian.

Punjabi: so good they had to list it twice :-)
3 x
新完全マスター N2聴解 : 94 / 103新完全マスター N2読解 : 99 / 177
新完全マスター N2文法 : 197 / 197TY Comp. German : 0 / 389

marpole
White Belt

Postby marpole » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:21 am

astromule wrote:

The language school would be here:
http://www.manta.com/ic/mt6dpp5/ca/gene ... titute-ltd
470 Granville St Suite 922
Vancouver, BC V6C 1V5, Canada - View Map
Phone: (604) 689-3611
Geneva Language Institute Ltd
A privately held company in Vancouver, BC.
More Details for Geneva Language Institute Ltd
Categorized under Translators and Interpreters. Current estimates show this company has an annual revenue of 126256 and employs a staff of approximately 1.
Company Contacts
Janulus Powell
President

Do you we have any Canadians to go search the place? I want surveillance 24x7 :D

I work exactly 3 blocks away from this business listing. Let me practice up on my Kashub, Lusatian and Wendic and then I will go completely into ninja-stealth mode and attempt to chat him up on the street and really put him to the test.

I can't comment on the information provided by the poster Paul Gossen, but if the only print source is the Weekly World News, then my stealth surveillance will have to wait until I have completely finished rolling my eyes and/or actually rolling on the floor. For those not familiar, WWN was one of the trashiest of the pretend newspapers sold at supermarkets, which specialized in Bigfoot stories and explicit detail (often with photos) of what happens during extra-terrestrial abductions.

GBoWR must have searchable records (too busy at the moment with eye and body rolling to look myself) to verify this story, and if it is true, my apologies to both WWN and Bigfoot. Otherwise, count me politely skeptical of native-level ability in 42 languages (or perhaps double-native ability in Punjabi as well as noted by dampingwire).
0 x

marpole
White Belt

Postby marpole » Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:10 am

Paul Gossen wrote:Regarding the two hour fluency test:

His is based on my memory of an interview with Powell Janulus... I still have the interview about this in my video archive:

He was working as a court translator in the early 80's and had to translate many languages every day at work. A friend at work was amazed by his ability and In 1984 he took 2 months off from work to be tested the Guinness book group. They flew him to a location in Europe. The testing took place over a 2 month period. He submitted a list of 64 language for testing. They arranged a native speaker to conduct a 2 hour conversation in each language. This was observed by the Guinness staff. Powell was allowed to make some mistakes, but each native speaker has to feel that they were having conversation with a native speaker. There was a detailed scoring system. At the time Powell was trying for 64 languages, but he only passed with 42. Apparently they never tested him for English, which was his native tongue, so you could say that he is fluency in 43 languages.

He may have been pulling your leg. He apparently told others in 1985 the following tale, in support of his assertion that Guiness was going to recognize him:

In addition to running the language institute, he serves as a court translator. To satisfy Guinness, he had to dig up the records of various trials he had translated in the 42 languages.

http://www.apnewsarchive.com/1985/On-th ... bd6a0805d3

This seems to suggest, if true, not that he has native-level conversational facility in 42 languages, but that he was able to translate (not interpret) in 42 languages, and again if true, that he possibly is not above stretching the boundary of the strictly-accurate (ie. "I mailed in some paper translations" v. "they flew me to Europe for 2 months for a grueling 128 hours of oral testing in 64 languages").

Again, apologies to Bigfoot if the version Paul says Powell told him in the 21st century is correct, rather than what the linked article says Powell said in the 20th century is correct. Either way, my surveillance hut is going up shortly....
0 x

pir
Orange Belt
Languages: Groks fluently: English, German
Dutch (C2~)
Swedish (B2~ on hold)
Romanian (B1~ on hold)
Swahili, Wolof, Esperanto, Russian (A1 on hold)
Studies: French (B1~), Japanese (A1), Spanish (A0)
~ means ++passive than active knowledge.

Corrections: YES!
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1132

Postby pir » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:39 am

I don't doubt that somebody can achieve basic conversational fluency in many languages. Sure, 42, that's a lot, but I don't think it's impossible. What is more difficult is to maintain that level, and it gets progressively harder as one adds languages. But even that, if somebody treats it as their job, ok, it's within the realm of the possible. I can conceive of putting languages in a sort of rotation that keeps them just refreshed enough to maintain that basic level.

I do seriously doubt that somebody can reach advanced, native level fluency in 42 languages. Let's posit that one could manage each in 1 year, which is remotely possible if one lives immersed and is above-average dedicated. That'd be 42 years, more years than he could conceivably have spent by the time he got into the GBoWR. Maybe one can compress it a bit more, if one starts on the next language while one is still polishing the previous one. But one cannot maintain that level either, if one doesn't refresh it regularly (I am my own proof of that one can even lose fluency in one's native language if one neglects it for decades, and non-native ones rust a bit faster). And if Janulus worked most of his life in Canada as a court interpreter, then he's not gotten immersion in a lot of the languages he learned. Wendic = Wendish = Sorbian? Wonder how the GBoWR found a handy native speaker; they've got to be mighty thin on the ground. This whole testing thing strikes me as an expensive proposal on everybody's part.

The Geneva Language Institute in Vancouver seems legit; I found 84 people on Linked-in who claim to have been educated there, and they all look like real people. It doesn't have a website, alas, and I couldn't find any reviews for it either.

Here's a short piece about Janulus in Portuguese: http://www.possibilidades.com.br/aprend ... anulus.asp -- that looks like an excerpt from the book Dynamic Learning by Dilts & Epstein, which seems an NLP type book. It talks about how Janulus supposedly learned his first language, "Pakistani" -- umm, well, that's what the article says. It might be Punjabi.

Here's a newspaper article from 1998 that makes several questionable claims, but also has some more info on Janulus -- I wonder how it jives with a Pakistani language supposedly being his first language when his Polish-born mother spoke six languages and his Lithuanian-born father four. But hey, maybe he got the Wendish from his mother. http://www.thefreelibrary.com/MULTILING ... a083809089

I'm not saying anyone is lying here per se. My first guess would be that there have been some misunderstandings along the way. Maybe the GBoWR didn't test for native-level fluency, but for basic conversational fluency, and the native speakers were only asked to assess whether Mr Janulus reached that goal, whether they could understand him, and whether he could answer their questions reliably, not whether he sounded like a native speaker. It'd be nice if one could contact somebody at the GBoWR who could explain their verification procedures; it doesn't sound like Mr Gossens did that -- maybe he tried and couldn't reach anyone.

I live just across the strait from Vancouver (*waves to @marpole*), and would be willing to chat with Mr Janulus, but I sure couldn't "test" anything more than the three languages I speak well enough myself, and one of them is his native one, so that leaves two. I could probably tell how good his French and Swedish are, since I've heard a lot of native speakers when I was immersed for a time myself. But I also wouldn't want to be hostile about this; the man isn't profiting from any sort of scam, and I am rather more interested in talking with an amazing polyglot (who is bound to be a language lover) about techniques than in proving him wrong.

Paul, the book you co-authored, does it also use NLP techniques like modeling? Welcome, btw.
1 x

kimchizzle
Orange Belt
Languages: English (N), French
Studying Spanish, Dutch, Russian
On the radar, Estonian, Ukrainian, Cantonese, Korean, Swedish
Language Log: http://how-to-learn-any-language.org/vi ... f=15&t=779

Postby kimchizzle » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:08 pm

I wonder if there has ever been any language savants. People who may have some type of anamoly with their brain that they can pick up languages very fast and not forget them easily. I'm sure if this type of savant existed today, then people would know about them and scientists would want to speak with them for research, so I don't think any exist currently. But this could account for the possibility of famous language learners from older times, like Mezzofanti. Perhaps if the stories are true, he was some type of language savant.

Savants typically display skills with little training that other people simply can not do without hours upon hours of training, also they typically display lower mental skills in other areas. I watched a television show about musical savants once, one woman could sing any melody by only hearing it played on a piano, with no musical training. They showed her abilities with someone playing old Basque folk songs that she never heard and she could repeat the melody perfectly including the rhythm of the notes. Also, she could remember any song she had ever sung one time, she never forgot the melody. It was quite interesting and I'm sure I'm not explaining this as well as it should be. It is just an interesting thought whether there are or ever were language savants.
0 x
Spanish Duolingo: 42 / 100 Dutch Duolingo: 4 / 100
Feel free to help correct any of my languages, except my native tongue. :shock:

Return to “General Language Discussion”