Practice makes perfect spanish series

General discussion about learning languages
Divanurse
Languages: English (N), Spanish (beginner), German (beginner)

Practice makes perfect spanish series

Postby Divanurse » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:07 pm

I think this was posted before but it did not receive a response.
I have been studying Spanish off and on for almost ten years. I purchased the PMP Spanish series a few years ago and now I am ready to tackle it again. I wanted to know what should I start off with. I have the Spanish verbs, Spanish vocabulary, Spanish sentence builder, Spanish conversation and a few more I cannot put my hands on right now. Would appreciate some advice as to how to tackle studying Spanish. P.S. after I finish Spanish I got my sights on studying German. That was my major in college for two years then I dropped it :oops:

TIA
Diva Nurse
0 x

Speakeasy

Re: Practice makes perfect spanish series

Postby Speakeasy » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:29 pm

Welcome to the Forum!
Welcome to the forum, Divanurse! I look forward to reading your participation in the numerous fascinating discussions here on the forum. Before responding to your question, I would encourage you to acquaint yourself with the Spanish Group which can be found under the “Study Groups” sub-subsection of the forum. You would do well to read through the discussions from the beginning (take your time, there’s no test at the end). In addition, you might wish to peruse the Spanish section of The Master List of Resources which is located near the top of the “Language Programs and Resources” sub-section. Now then, …

Discussions on the Forum of the "Practice Makes Perfect" series
My quick search of the LLORG (A Language Learners’ Forum) did not reveal a discussion thread that deals specifically with the “Practice Makes Perfect” series by the well-known publisher of educational materials, McGraw-Hill. However, I do recall reading several discussions (buried in discussions of resources, study plans, et cetera) wherein many members have praised this series. I do not recall any negative comments. I have the complete collection in this series for study of German and I support the broad consensus concerning the high quality and the usefulness of the series, with one reserve (see below).

Titles in the "Practice Makes Perfect Spanish" series
Having just checked Amazon.com, it would appear that the following titles are available for the study of Spanish in this series:
Complete Spanish Grammar
Intermediate Spanish Grammar
Advanced Spanish Grammar
Spanish Verb Tenses
Spanish Irregular Verbs Up Close
Spanish Past-Tense Verbs Up Close
Spanish Subjunctive Up Close
Basic Spanish (includes 75 minutes of audio)
Spanish Conversation
Spanish Sentence Builder
Complete Spanish All-in-One
Algebra II Review and Workbook*
Spanish Pronouns and Prepositions
Spanish Pronouns Up Close
Spanish Vocabulary
Spanish Vocabulary Games
Spanish Vocabulary Building with Suffixes
Spanish Reading and Comprehension
Spanish Problem Solver
Beginning Spanish with CD-ROM

Speakeasy’s Comments and Recommendations
First, I would say that viewing the list of titles in the series leaves me with the impression that the publisher is (unfairly) exploiting the insecurities of many students who most likely attend Spanish classes and who are in genuine need of support in matters touching upon the structure of the language, and this, so as to compensate for the abysmal nature of the average course book designed for use in a classroom setting.

Second, having purchased the entire set of titles for German, I would NOT recommend that anyone follow my example. There are numerous excellent alternatives to the Practice Makes Perfect series and all of them require a much lower disbursement of the student’s limited financial resources.

Third, in response to your questions, should you wish to incorporate elements of the Practice Makes Perfect Spanish series into your (presumed) home-study programme, I would recommend that you begin with the “Complete Spanish Grammar” book and go no further.

Fourth, there must be a gillion alternatives to McGraw-Hills Practice Makes Perfect Spanish series. While I would imagine that several members have their own preferences, I suggest that you consider “Schaum's Outline of Spanish Grammar” by the same publisher.

Fifth, I deliberately included the title which is marked by an asterisk* to see whether or not anyone reading this post would notice.

Three Previous Discussions …
If you were unable to track down the discussion threads below on your own, don't be discouraged; it ain't easy!

Best beginners Spanish grammar book - LLORG – July 2017
https://forum.language-learners.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&p=80269#p80269

Spanish Practice Makes Perfect Series - HTLAL - April 2012
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=32051&PN=1

Spanish - Best Grammar Book - HTLAL - August 2014
http://how-to-learn-any-language.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=39089&PN=7&TPN=1

EDITED:
Typos, tinkering.
Formatting.
Insertion of a link to another previous discussion thread.
Last edited by Speakeasy on Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.
5 x

aokoye
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (N), German (~C1), French (Intermediate), Japanese (N4), Swedish (beginner), Dutch (A2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=19262

Postby aokoye » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:41 pm

Speakeasy wrote:.
Fifth, I deliberately included the title which is marked by the asterisk* to see whether or not anyone reading this post would notice.

My first response was, "wait, did they publish a math book in Spanish?"
0 x
Prefered gender pronouns: Masculine

Divanurse
Languages: English (N), Spanish (beginner), German (beginner)

Postby Divanurse » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:11 am

Thanks for the information

Diva Nurse
0 x

Querneus
Blue Belt
Languages: Speaks: Spanish (N), English
Studying: Latin, French, Mandarin

Postby Querneus » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:59 am

aokoye wrote:
Speakeasy wrote:Fifth, I deliberately included the title which is marked by the asterisk* to see whether or not anyone reading this post would notice.

My first response was, "wait, did they publish a math book in Spanish?"

I saw it, but I didn't think much of it until I saw Speakeasy's later comment. I even assumed it was in English but simply didn't react. "Oh, Algebra II, okay."

The same thing happened to me a couple days ago when I saw an edit of the poster ad for Disney's upcoming remake of The Lady and the Tramp on Twitter. The Twitter person had added Spiderman next to the restaurant door, and I was just like, "Oh, Spiderman is there, looking at the couple", thinking nothing of it.
2 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”