Dialogue-rich Computer Games in Second Languages?

General discussion about learning languages
Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Re: Dialogue-rich Computer Games in Second Languages?

Postby Cavesa » Thu Aug 20, 2020 11:22 am

T0NIN0 wrote:On your list you have Mafia which is a great game. However, you don't have mafia 2, and I think that may be worth listing also, at least the steam version, because it has full voiced audio & subtitles in, English, French, German, Italian, Spanish, Czech & Russian.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/5013 ... I_Classic/

Yes, that's a classic, originally in Czech :-) But the other versions should be nice too.

Found a jewel among the mobile games. Vampire's Fall Origins, by Early Morning Studio is great, finally a normal single player RPG with a lot of story and dialogue (but with a few pvp elements you can enjoy or avoid), and available on a phone. Not annoying ads offers, good price/value ratio for the ingame offers, and there are many language versions, while the ones I tried looked good. I am mostly playing in German. There are even languages like Malay. I cannot judge the quality of the translation, but at least it is there.

The full list of langauges:English, Malay,German,French,Italian,Polish, Romanian,Russian,Uktainian,Simplified Chinese, Turkish,Greek,Indonesian,Czech,Spanish,Hindi,Korean,Portuguese,Thai,Filipino,Vietnamese,Japanese,Hungarian,Arabic. All of them text only
3 x

jmar257
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), español (Intermediate), français (Lower Intermediate), deutsch (beginner)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?t=15645

Postby jmar257 » Thu Aug 20, 2020 6:22 pm

I've been playing Tropico 4 in Spanish a lot lately. I love those simulation type games, and while there's not a ton of speech you get some decent reading in. I tried Skyrim in Spanish (a while ago so my comprehension wasn't as good) and couldn't get myself to stick with the game, but it's also not my favorite game in English (although I typically love RPGs). I played Runescape a bunch as a kid (before I was into languages and before it had translations), but they have German, French, and I think a couple others now.

I had given up gaming back in high school but quarantine has me renewing that interest...
2 x
Feel free to give me corrections in any of my target languages!

Teango
Blue Belt
Languages: en (n)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 9&p=235545

Postby Teango » Thu Aug 20, 2020 10:35 pm

I've added 6 more games (Dragon Age Origins, Mafia 2, Runescape, Skyrim, Tropico 4, and Vampire's Fall Origins) to our master list. Grazie mille to everyone who contributed these new suggestions. We now have games in at least 29 different languages - way to go! 8-)
2 x

themethod
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (Upper Intermediate), Spanish (Upper Intermediate)

Postby themethod » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:25 pm

I have a short list of games that I've collected over time for Russian but that also support other languages.

- Stardew Valley: Farming game that has some similarities to Animal Crossing, text-based and dialogue heavy with a lot of different languages supported. Surprised this one hasn't already been mentioned, it's pretty popular with language learners. English, German, Spanish, French, Italian, Brazilian Portuguese Russian, Hungarian, Turkish, Japanese, Chinese, Korean.

- S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series (Shadow of Chernobyl, Clear Sky, Call of Pripyat): First-person survival shooter games made by a Ukrainian studio and set in a post-apocalyptic Russia, based in the same world as the Russian sci-fi novel "Roadside Picnic" and the Tarkovsky film "Stalker". Russian is the first language, so it's known to be good, but it also has audio and text support for German, French, Spanish, Italian, and Polish.

The last game (Call of Pripyat) is consider the most polished, but the first game (Shadow of Chernobyl) is very popular too. The middle game (Clear Sky) is considered the most flawed.

- Metro (2033, Last Light, Exodus) series: Another dystopic survival horror shooter based on a Russia novel and made by a Ukrainian studio. Again, the Russian version is obviously good, but there's also audio/text support for German, French, Spanish, Italian, and Ukrainian, as well as text support for a few other languages depending on the exact title.

- Child of Light: Beautiful fairy tale RPG with watercolor art and a nice soundtrack. Has both voice acting and text support for German, French, Italian, Russian, Brazilian Portuguese, and Japanese. I've only tried the Russian version, but the narration was really well done.

- This War of Mine: A survival and resource management game made by a Polish studio and set during the Siege of Sarajevo, the subject matter is quite heavy but the game is excellent and has earned a lot of accolades. Support for German, French, Spanish, Italian, Russian, Polish, Turkish, Brazilian Portuguese, Chinese, Korean, and Japanese.

- Darkwood: Survival horror game made by a Polish studio and based heavily on Slavic folklore. The atmosphere is excellent, but be warned that this game is pretty difficult -- but you may be able to manage by turning down the difficulty. Support for German, French, Spanish, Italian, Polish, Russian, Hungarian, Brazilian Portuguese, Turkish, and Chinese.

- Beholder: A sort of simulation/strategy game made by a Russian studio and set in a kind of Soviet surveillance state, where you're asked to spy on the tenants in your apartment building -- while also balancing your own morality. Support for German, French, Spanish, Italian, Russian, Polish, Brazilian Portuguese, Dutch, Traditional and Simplified Chinese, Japanese, and Korean.

- Syberia series: I've never actually played these ones, but they're an adventure series in the vein of some of the older games mentioned in the OP, they're pretty popular, and they have audio and text support for German, French, Spanish, Italian, Russian, and Polish -- and I've heard the localization is good.

- Banner Saga series (1, 2, and 3): Story-heavy tactical RPG with a Viking folklore theme and nice art. Support for German, French, Italian, Spanish, Russian, Polish, Czech, Brazilian Portuguese, Chinese, Japanese, and Korean.

- XCOM 1 & 2: Turn-based tactics game that's very well done. The gameplay itself isn't very dialogue-focused, but your advisors often talk to you both during and between battles. Audio and text support for German, French, Spanish, Italian, Russian, and Polish.

- FTL: Indie strategy game set in space. There's not much in terms of dialogue but you're constantly confronted with text-based choices as you play. It's also just a really good game. Support for German, French, Spanish, Italian, Russian, Polish, Brazilian Portuguese, and Chinese.

By the way, there's a somewhat easy way that I've found to find other games in your target language.

There's a site called GOG.com, which is similar to Steam -- but it focuses on older titles (the acronym GOG stands for "good old games"), and it's owned by the company that made The Witcher games (CD Projekt Red). They have a app, like Steam, but their games are also DRM-free, meaning you can download the file to your computer and play/keep it without another app.

If you use the Store dropdown on the home page, then select a genre (Action, Adventure, RPG, etc.), on the next screen you're able to select a language from the list on the left, and it'll show you all the games available in that language. You can do something similar on Steam but you end up sorting through a million games; with GOG, it's a lot more manageable.

Their games also go on sale a lot. For instance, the Stalker and Metro series, This War of Mine, and Syberia are all on sale for pretty cheap right now.
4 x

kelvin921019
Green Belt
Languages: Cantonese (N)
Chinese Mandarin (Semi-Native)
English (C1-2)
Spanish (B2)
Japanese (N1)
Russian (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16306

Postby kelvin921019 » Tue Aug 25, 2020 3:32 pm

If you like football, Football Manager is the best, you are basically bombarded with football related vocabularies and tonnes of words
1 x

Teango
Blue Belt

Postby Teango » Tue Aug 25, 2020 10:50 pm

@themethod
Wow...а veritable treasure chest of games...огромное спасибо!! I've added these to our list. Thanks also for the tip on how to search the gog.com storefront by genre and language.

@kelvin921019
I knew so many people who were seriously addicted to Football Manager back in school and college, both the 1982-1992 and 2004-present series (showing my age, eh?!) Do you happen to know which languages the game supports in terms of its interface and any longer dialogues/text?
1 x

kelvin921019
Green Belt
Languages: Cantonese (N)
Chinese Mandarin (Semi-Native)
English (C1-2)
Spanish (B2)
Japanese (N1)
Russian (B1)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16306

Postby kelvin921019 » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:27 pm

Teango wrote:@themethod
Wow...а veritable treasure chest of games...огромное спасибо!! I've added these to our list. Thanks also for the tip on how to search the gog.com storefront by genre and language.

@kelvin921019
I knew so many people who were seriously addicted to Football Manager back in school and college, both the 1982-1992 and 2004-present series (showing my age, eh?!) Do you happen to know which languages the game supports in terms of its interface and any longer dialogues/text?

I can't tell you have useful FM is. I have learnt a tonnes of football related vocabularies (from all the positions, all the attributes and traits, the tactics, the transfers etc etc and also other useful vocabularies and expression) just by starting a new game (even without playing it :lol:). You will receive short "reports" and "emails" from time to time, also well as live "commentaries" (written) of the matches, it's basically a full-fledge reading exercise. Hardcore players like me usually skip those messages. However, as a language learner, you may wish to take some time reading the greeting email from the president of your football club, or read the scouting / coach reports from your coaches / scouts, or even try to converse with your unhappy players or attend press conference

These are the languages offered by FM2020 (the latest) PC Windows version:
Danish, German, English (UK and US), Spanish, French, Italian, Dutch, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Swedish, Turkish, Greek, Russian and Chinese (simplified and traditional)
2 x

Teango
Blue Belt

Postby Teango » Wed Aug 26, 2020 5:51 pm

kelvin921019 wrote:These are the languages offered by FM2020 (the latest) PC Windows version:
Danish, German, English (UK and US), Spanish, French, Italian, Dutch, Norwegian, Polish, Portuguese, Swedish, Turkish, Greek, Russian and Chinese (simplified and traditional)

Thanks kelvin921019, I've added Football Manager to the list. :)
0 x

T0NIN0
White Belt
Languages: English (N)
Italian (C1)
Portuguese (B2)
Spanish (B1)
Mandarin (A2)

Paused: Korean

Postby T0NIN0 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 8:55 am

Cyberpunk 2077 released today on: PC, Xbox One, Xbox X, Ps4 & Ps5.
For a game of this scale it surprisingly has full voiced audio in many languages.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1091500/Cyberpunk_2077/

Languages with full voiced audio & subtitles:
English
French
Italian
German
Spanish - Spain
Japanese
Korean
Polish
Portuguese - Brazil
Russian
Simplified Chinese

Extra subtitled languages with no voiced audio in the language:
Arabic
Czech
Hungarian
Spanish - Latin America
Thai
Traditional Chinese
Turkish
6 x

Keys
Yellow Belt
Languages: Dutch (N), English (C2), German (C1), French (B2), Swedish (B2), Spanish (B2), Italian (B2), Russian (B2), Hungarian (B1), Polish (B1), Urdu (A2); reading literature and listening to audiobooks in Danish, Dutch, English, French, German, Hungarian, Indonesian, Italian, Polish, Portuguese, Russian, Swedish and Spanish. Studying Urdu, Polish atm.

Postby Keys » Mon Dec 21, 2020 2:12 am

I saw Cyberpunk is on Google Stadia as well, just as some other dialogue rich games mentioned before. For those who don't know, that's a game streaming service so you don't need to buy a gaming pc or console.

https://stadia.google.com/

You can try it out for free for a month, and claim free games, one of which is Gylt (I'm halfway the game and I assume it stands for guilt, as it's about bullying). It's visually nice but a bit creepy.

It has got the following languages in text and audio:
English, French, German, Italian, Spanish
and the following in text only:
Norse, Portuguese, Russian, Swedish and Finnish

Caveat is that you have to select options and choose the language other than English each time you start the game. Or I just read you can add ?hl=es (iso language shortcode) to the url of google stadia. Also my 11 year old laptop had a bit of trouble with the bandwidth I think, so it stuttered now and then, but my gf's recent MacBook was fine.

There might be other free games with multiple languages as well. I'm assuming that the bigger titles like Cyberpunk or Assassin's creed series or Metro 2033 that are on Stadia will have options for multiple languages but I didn't test it out. Those games you'd have to buy on Stadia though. In any case if you want to play a free game in any of those languages without paying for anything it's not a bad deal.
2 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”