Dialogue-rich Computer Games in Second Languages?

General discussion about learning languages
lysi
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (N), French, Mandarin (Beginner)

Re: Dialogue-rich Computer Games in Second Languages?

Postby lysi » Fri May 14, 2021 6:55 pm

Reviving dead thread to post about OFF, a French cult classic by Mortis Ghost. You control The Batter (le batteur) in his quest to purify the world of the evil that's hiding there. The game is originally in French, but has translations for English, Russian, Spanish, Portuguese, Polish, and German. It's entirely free as well. The download page can be found here and the specifically French page can be found here. I don't typically play video games but it's seriously worth checking out, it's amazing and it's only surpassed by Proust and Stendhal in my personal rankings of best/most enjoyable original French content. I played it when I had a vocabulary of 5000 words but in retrospect I would suggest waiting until around 6000+, it's a very vocabulary rich game. It also makes use of passé simple, and I think subjonctif imparfait but I don't remember exactly.

EDIT: Actually no I had a vocabulary of around 6000 words at that time, looking at my anki cards, so maybe wait until 7000+. A lot of vocabulary, I know.
5 x

Teango
Blue Belt
Languages: en (n)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 9&p=235545

Postby Teango » Fri Sep 03, 2021 5:47 pm

T0NIN0, Keys, and lysi - thanks for your suggestions! 8-)

I've added Cyberpunk 2077, Gylt and OFF to our list.
0 x

Stefan
Green Belt
Languages: -

Postby Stefan » Fri May 20, 2022 3:40 pm

Linguist FPS was released today. Might not be "dialog rich" in the traditional sense but I thought it would be of interest. I've only watched the trailer but the premise seems to be to follow directions in your target language while shooting at robots. Below is an early trailer and the creators mention in the comments that they would proofread everything before release (one Russian sentence was wrong it seems). The creators released Pedro's Adventures in Spanish last year and the reviews seems fairly positive.

"How many hours of gameplay are there?"

It's very difficult to say as everybody learns at a difference pace. If you are a beginner we predict you'll need about 10 hours of in-game experience before you are able to complete it. Linguist FPS is a rougelike style game and it is expected that you will die a lot (especially at first). As your language skills improve, it will gradually become easier to access weapons, armor and health. Your survival time will increase with repeated attempts.

In addition to a training zone, the main game takes place in one large city with several potential starting locations. The supply rooms are procedurally generated with random challenges and loot inside. So each time you respawn you'll be in a new location with different challenges and equipment to discover.

1 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”