Language learning: Skype vs in person?

General discussion about learning languages
ChrisTR
Languages: English (C2), German (C2), Russian (N), Spanish (A2)

Language learning: Skype vs in person?

Postby ChrisTR » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:38 am

Hey everyone,

here's the thing. I really enjoy learning languages, taking a language course or one to one in person. I never learn by myself (not that type of learner).

Now there is a challenge before me:
- achieve the B1 level of Spanish within 5 weeks. Now I have A2. it's essential for my further studies and my further erasmus semester.
- these 5 weeks are almost free, I don't have any other activities like work etc. I can do a really intensive crash course.

I have two options: private teacher for €20 per hour or a Skype teacher for lets say €10.

I've never done any language learning on skype and I'm really reluctant towards it. I believe it feels better to be with the person in one room. Its just more natural than starring at the screen, you know.

I would definitely choose lessons in person but they cost twice.
Is learning via skype also fun? What are the disadvantages? Would I achieve the same results?

I googled a lot about it and haven't really found any disadvantages, people are satisfied with online learning.

Thank you for sharing your experience!
Last edited by ChrisTR on Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Re: Language learning: Skype vs in person?

Postby rdearman » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:40 pm

I started using iTalki online and I didn't have any bad experience when compared to doing the lesson in person. Much of the time it is better since you would tend to have a shared Google doc with all your corrections put in.

You might want to think about language exchanges if cost is an issue. If you have a lot of free time you can speak to a lot of natives in exchange for teaching them English. I personally used to do 4-6 language exchanges a day when I had that much free time. So you could in theory get 3 hours (6/2) of lessons for free, in exchange for 3 hours of English teaching.

Depends on what type of practice you want, and if you want people to give you exercises and stuff like that.
4 x
: 26 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

ChrisTR

Postby ChrisTR » Thu Aug 15, 2019 4:56 pm

rdearman wrote:I started using iTalki online and I didn't have any bad experience when compared to doing the lesson in person. Much of the time it is better since you would tend to have a shared Google doc with all your corrections put in.

You might want to think about language exchanges if cost is an issue. If you have a lot of free time you can speak to a lot of natives in exchange for teaching them English. I personally used to do 4-6 language exchanges a day when I had that much free time. So you could in theory get 3 hours (6/2) of lessons for free, in exchange for 3 hours of English teaching.

Depends on what type of practice you want, and if you want people to give you exercises and stuff like that.

Thank you for your advice.

Well, the thing is, I have to achieve the academic B1 level. it means all the grammar, vocabulary and things like that.
Language exchange on skype would just improve my speaking and listening and maybe bring some new vocab but it wouldn't be enough to pass an academic test...
And the challenge is that I have to learn the whole B1 (which is a lot) in just 4-5 weeks..
0 x

tiia
Blue Belt
Languages: German (N), English (?), Finnish (C1), Spanish (B2??), Swedish (B2)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=2374

Postby tiia » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:23 pm

What do you know about the teaching quality of both teachers? Since your time is limited you might not want to spent time with inefficient teaching. So just ask them how their experiences are in getting students from A2 to B1, if you don't have that information yet. How many hours they would estimate usually for this progress, what activities they would do etc. How many students they have had before?
Then take what seems to make more sense.
3 x
Corrections for entries written in Finnish, Spanish or Swedish are welcome.
Project 30+X: 25 / 30

El Forastero
Orange Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), French (C1), English (C1), Italian (C1), Portuguese (C1), German (Beginner), Russian (beginner), Wayuunaiki (Beginner)

Postby El Forastero » Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:13 pm

I'm a Teacher via Skype. In my experience, I have found both types of students: Those who never adapted to the online classes and Those who love this tool and the methodology it allows. I think Skype is good or bad depending on your preferences, not on the tool itself. Students who love the tool tell me that is more convenient than booking a class in an instutute or with a private teacher because of the schedule flexibility.

I reccomend you try both styles with two classes each one, so that you can have your own opinion based on your experience.

Why am I a skype teacher? Mainly because of the horrid traffic in the city I live in, so I don't need to spend extra time commuting, neither do the students. Second, via skype I can offer a wider range of shcedule. For instance, I have a student who takes classes with me on saturdays and sundays at 7:00 am. That's by far earlier than any other option in a language institute and I would surely be reluctant to have a live class at that hour. But via skype I can teach the class wearing pajamas justa after waking up, and taking breakfast just after finishing it.

That implies that I'm paid for (and only for) the time I'm connected. If the commute is one hour, you're being paid the same amount for twice the time.

Another advantage is that you (or your student) can be in a trip and still have a class.
8 x
Please correct my errors in any tongue.
Visit my blog (In spanish)
Visit my youtube channel (In spanish)
: 4 / 10 10 C1 before being 55 years old
Are you looking for an online spanish tutor?

Flickserve
Orange Belt
Languages: *

Postby Flickserve » Fri Aug 16, 2019 2:30 pm

You can have both. There is nothing to say each should be exclusive.

Have a private teacher and mix in some Skype lessons for practice, fluency or whatever specific point that you want to focus on.
2 x

ChrisTR

Postby ChrisTR » Sat Aug 17, 2019 1:13 pm

Alright guys thank you very much for your opinion!
0 x

Versus
White Belt
Languages: Serbian, English

Postby Versus » Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:40 pm

Maybe to try both for a week. After that you can choose what are more useful for you.
0 x

ryanheise
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Japanese (beginner)

Postby ryanheise » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:47 am

I think there are positives both ways. Some benefits of face to face are, first, you'll be able to hear more clearly so if you're focusing on pronunciation that will be helpful. If you really want to pay attention to how they're moving their mouth and tongue, you'll also have a better view. Also, you'll be able to take advantage of the physical world, using things like TPR (total physical response) where you practice using language that requires some sort of physical participation like "Can I borrow your pen?". Another benefit could be that your language exchange partner could make use of physical props etc. to help make the language more comprehensible for you.

On the other hand, for Skype, you can take advantage of the "virtual" world more easily with all of your computer aided learning software at your fingertips, and also you may be able to save more time by not having to travel to meet. Maybe the biggest advantage is that it is easier to meet with native speakers across the Internet if there are not many native speakers in your own country.
1 x

Cavesa
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Czech (N), French (C2) English (C1), Italian (C1), Spanish, German (C1)

Postby Cavesa » Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:49 pm

ChrisTR wrote:I never learn by myself (not that type of learner).

That's a huge part of the problem. Even with a teacher, you have to study on your own, if you want to be efficient and progress as fast as you describe later in your post. Unless you have enough money to pay a tutor for five or more hours a day, you will simply need to do a part of the work on your own. Perhaps you struggle with following a coursebook on your own, but kwiziq could be palatable (and is very efficient and could take care of at least some things that would be a waste of time and money with a tutor)

Now there is a challenge before me:
- achieve the B1 level of Spanish within 5 weeks. Now I have A2. it's essential for my further studies and my further erasmus semester.
- these 5 weeks are almost free, I don't have any other activities like work etc. I can do a really intensive crash course.

Exactly. As I said, relying only on the teacher would be a very expensive way to reach your goal. If you've got enough money, it is certainly an option. A lot of the time will be spent on things you could easily do on your own.

I have two options: private teacher for €20 per hour or a Skype teacher for lets say €10.

I've never done any language learning on skype and I'm really reluctant towards it. I believe it feels better to be with the person in one room. Its just more natural than starring at the screen, you know.

I would definitely choose lessons in person but they cost twice.
Is learning via skype also fun? What are the disadvantages? Would I achieve the same results?

The advantages and disadvantages are rather minor. Both are the same thing in vast majority of aspects. One of the huge advantages of skype is not only the price (and the fact you don't need to spend hours travelling to take your lessons, El Forastero is totally right), but also a much wider offer of tutors to pick from. The in person situation may feel a bit more natural and pleasant, sure, but the importance of this aspect is highly individual.

tiia wrote:What do you know about the teaching quality of both teachers? Since your time is limited you might not want to spent time with inefficient teaching. So just ask them how their experiences are in getting students from A2 to B1, if you don't have that information yet. How many hours they would estimate usually for this progress, what activities they would do etc. How many students they have had before?
Then take what seems to make more sense.

This is extremely important! Both on the internet and in the real life, you will find tutors that are really vague about their experience. A generic profile of any tutor suggest you're facing a superman, who is awesome at teaching absolutely everybody, at any level, with any goals. That is not very likely. B1 is still a level many tutors have experience with, the real problem fining someone competent starts later. But still, it is worth it to ask.

Apart from the questions tiia suggests, I'd also recommend checking they really want to help you progress fast and won't try to "make you more reasonable" instead. I have experienced this and it was a reason to say goodbye and return to self study. Not all the tutors believe in hard working students. Focusing on slow progress is not a bad thing for some kinds of learners, it is just not what you seem to be looking for.

Ask about the learning materials they use. As someone with experience with fast progress (for reasons similar to yours. Truth be told, I did something similar with my Spanish years ago. One month, from rusty A1 to B1ish skills, and with the reason being a student exchange. Without any tutor.), I highly recommend following a coursebook, and possibly a grammar book etc. Resources that have an order and are meant to lead to B1. Many tutors count on the students not wishing to pay for coursebooks and do the same mistake many teachers in group classes do: they flood the student with a chaos of copies from various sources instead, making them run in circles without clear progress forward. You have a deadline, you need to move in the right direction.

Whatever you choose to do, I wish you good luck! And I'd love to hear about your progress in a few weeks!
1 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”