General discussion about learning languages
Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: English(N)
Advanced: French,Spanish, Scottish Gaelic
Intermediate: Italian, Catalan, Corsican
Basic: Welsh
Dabbling: Polish, Russian etc

Re: Study into computer graphics in vocabulary flashcards - call for participants

Postby Cainntear » Fri Jul 12, 2019 1:50 pm

Right... I've got myself some Basque words from a Viscayan living locally and I'm almost ready to go. A wee bit of final tweaking and testing and things should be ready to roll on Monday. Unfortunately the Hungarian hasn't been in the uni, so it's just Gaelic or Basque, but that's surely enough to be getting on with!

Anyhow, here's the call I've put out on Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/niallotreasaig ... 4644584254
me on FB wrote:Online language learning research: call for participants.
Absolute beginners: Basque or Scottish Gaelic

Hi, I'm running a short study, collecting data for my master's dissertation. I'm studying how using different types of graphics in vocabulary flashcards impacts on learning words in a new language.

Participation in the study will involve studying vocabulary using an online flashcard app for approximately 10 minutes a day for 5 days, following by a short test on day 6, followed by a second test a week later. The tests should also take approximately 10 minutes each. As this is an online study, you are free to do each day's work at any time that suits you.

The materials will be made available from Monday the 15th of September 2019, but participants may start the study any time up to (and including) Monday the 22nd of September.

Volunteers should be at least 16 years of age, with no previous knowledge of at least one of the languages in the study. Volunteers may choose which of the two languages to undertake the study in, Basque or Scottish Gaelic, if they have any preference.

Volunteers should fill out the entrance survey on Google Forms: https://forms.gle/nLjAeHWaVYaE3QWE6
Within 48 hours, you will receive information to the email address you supplied, providing a website address and personal login to access the materials.

Any questions, feel free to contact me at N.Tracey1@student.gsa.ac.uk or my supervisor, Dr. Daniel Livingstone, at D.Livingstone@gsa.ac.uk .

Thanks for your time.
1 x

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Re: Study into computer graphics in vocabulary flashcards - call for participants

Postby IronMike » Fri Jul 12, 2019 2:52 pm

Done.
1 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

Cenwalh
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1), Catalan (B2).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12467

Postby Cenwalh » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:49 pm

I also signed up. Can't remember which language I went for and I only just did it, so I have that surprise to look forward to.
0 x
Double SC films: 200 / 200 (updated 2022-07-28)
Double SC books: 34 / 200 (updated 2022-07-28)

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Cainntear » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:08 pm

Oops... should have said Monday the 15th of July, obviously. Thanks for the PM to the person who pointed out my mistake. :oops:
1 x

Denzagathist
Yellow Belt
Languages: .
• N: English
• C: German, French, Spanish, Croatian, Greek
• B: Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Swedish, Turkish, Japanese
• A: Persian, Mandarin
• Dormant: Dutch, Romanian, Polish

Postby Denzagathist » Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:08 am

I'd be happy to participate as well, but I've been tripped up by the question about what additional languages I have learned, and don't want to confuse your results by misinterpreting the question. Should we include all languages we've ever studied, only ones that we can (still) speak, only ones that we can speak to a particular level? I imagine some other people from this forum might also need clarification for that question. :D
0 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Cainntear » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:44 am

Denzagathist wrote:I'd be happy to participate as well, but I've been tripped up by the question about what additional languages I have learned, and don't want to confuse your results by misinterpreting the question. Should we include all languages we've ever studied, only ones that we can (still) speak, only ones that we can speak to a particular level? I imagine some other people from this forum might also need clarification for that question. :D

It’s deliberately vague. The main distinction is checking between multipolyglottal hyperlinguageeks and mere mortals. :mrgreen:
0 x

Cainntear
Black Belt - 3rd Dan

Postby Cainntear » Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:24 pm

I've sent out the first email (with login information), as "Niall Tracey" from the address "N.Tracey1@student.gsa.ac.uk". If you signed up and haven't received (after checking your spam/junk folder, of course!) email me from the address you signed up with and I'll forward the details to you.

Couple of last bits of spit and polish to add to the materials, but should be good to launch tomorrow as planned.

Cheers.
1 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”