6 months in -- How are your 2019 New Year's Resolutions going?

General discussion about learning languages

How are your 2019 New Year's Resolutions going?

Great
49%
So-So
38%
I had to revise my goals
14%
I've given up
No votes

Total votes: 37

Denzagathist
Yellow Belt
Languages: .
• N: English
• C: German, French, Spanish, Croatian, Greek
• B: Italian, Portuguese, Russian, Swedish, Turkish, Japanese
• A: Persian, Mandarin
• Dormant: Dutch, Romanian, Polish

Re: 6 months in -- How are your 2019 New Year's Resolutions going?

Postby Denzagathist » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:23 am

My goals were...um...ridiculous and overly optimistic. So I am going to ignore those. :lol:

But generally quite good! 2019 is the first year in a long time where I'm actively trying to make language study a priority from the start, and have accomplished a fair amount -- not only in terms of what I've learned, but also in terms of creating habits, building motivation, finding new resources, and rediscovering what methods work for me.

I track my study time, and set the arbitrary goal of 500 total study hours for the year, not knowing whether that was realistic, way too much, or too little. I have already completed nearly 400 hours up until now, so I'm actually ahead on that goal. :) I just need to give more attention to the languages that actually need it.

I ended up dropping Arabic and Mandarin in April, because they just weren't priorities and I already had my hands full with other language projects. Arabic was primarily a fun dabbling project in preparation for a trip to Morocco in March, and I was able to use the little bit I learned while there, so I'm happy about that.
2 x

Jean-Luc
Orange Belt
Languages: French (N), English & German (C), Italian & Spanish (B), Russian, Chinese, Croatian (A)

Postby Jean-Luc » Tue Jul 02, 2019 7:29 am

Instead of dealing with any resolutions, I prefer to focus on an effective quarterly planning.
1 x

Ug_Caveman
Green Belt
Languages: English (N), Dutch (A2 - July 2021), working towards B1

Postby Ug_Caveman » Fri Jul 05, 2019 6:03 pm

I was able to hunt down a copy of a book for Swedish that I was beginning to think never existed in the first place given how rare it was, and have done pretty decently outside of language learning regarding goals in the gym (140kg bench press done with 90kg military press not far off I shouldn't think) and academia (done pretty well on all assignments so far, still not over the finish line yet though).

Did have to revise some goals, but this was purely down to logistical reasons (I was unable to sit the CNaVT exams this year due to clashes with university work, otherwise I would have done so).

All in all, this is probably my most successful round of New Years Resolutions ever.
3 x
Languages: English (N), Dutch (passed A2 exam in May 2021, failed B1 in May 2023 - never sit an exam when you have food poisoning!)

Seeking: Linguaphone Polish and Linguaphone Afrikaans

Bilingual_monoglot
Yellow Belt
Languages: English (n) Tamil (n-heritage) French Esperanto (can talk about language policy/lepak, and nothing else) Hindi (bumbling tourist) Malay (basic conversations) Chinese (introductions and ordering food)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=16715

Postby Bilingual_monoglot » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:15 am

Not all that well. Let's break it down
Tamil - A for A levels was too optimistic, considering that I also have a bunch of other subjects I need to study for. I am scaling down to a C.
Malay - Unfortunately, I have not managed to work all that much on Malay due to various reasons (not a lot of resources, more focus on Tamil and Chinese as I actually use these, A levels) and of course I had to give up on my language log
Chinese - My Chinese has been going well. I have managed to practice is a lot though I have not been able to study as much due to my A levels. However, I could still attain HSK level 2 by next June.
Others - I have done some dabbling in German and Spanish and have done quite well for my self. Moreover, even though I haven't been working on my French, like at all, I am still able to hold a reasonable conversation.
1 x

El Forastero
Orange Belt
Languages: Spanish (N), French (C1), English (C1), Italian (C1), Portuguese (C1), German (Beginner), Russian (beginner), Wayuunaiki (Beginner)

Postby El Forastero » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:59 pm

My first main goal was starting a new language, so I already accomplish it because of my recently started russian, next year I'll have a more challenging goal.

My second goal was being certified C2 in both french and english. My idea was doing the tests in november or so, but I had the opportunity to present them for free, as a part of my job, I took the risk with not enough preparation, and I failed twice (by a very low margin, but I failed)

I don't know if I would like to do te test again before december, perhaps not. I have now an estimated notion of how much I should study and I prefer to use that time focusing on my new russian and trying to preserve my other languages I haven't got the opportunity to practice regularly.

The six-months balance is, however, positive.
2 x
Please correct my errors in any tongue.
Visit my blog (In spanish)
Visit my youtube channel (In spanish)
: 4 / 10 10 C1 before being 55 years old
Are you looking for an online spanish tutor?

IronMike
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Studying: Esperanto
Maintaining: nada
Tested:
BCS, 1+L/1+R (DLPT5, 2022)
Russian, 3/3 (DLPT5, 2022) 2+ (OPI, 2022)
German, 2L/1+R (DLPT5, 2021)
Italian, 1L/2R (DLPT IV, 2019)
Esperanto, C1 (KER skriba ekzameno, 2017)
Slovene, 2+L/3R (DLPT II in, yes, 1999)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5189

Postby IronMike » Sun Jul 07, 2019 2:01 am

Ug_Caveman wrote:I was able to hunt down a copy of a book for Swedish that I was beginning to think never existed in the first place given how rare it was, and have done pretty decently outside of language learning regarding goals in the gym (140kg bench press done with 90kg military press not far off I shouldn't think) and academia (done pretty well on all assignments so far, still not over the finish line yet though).

You should join my Language Fitness Challenge!
1 x
You're not a C1 (or B1 or whatever) if you haven't tested.
CEFR --> ILR/DLPT equivalencies
My swimming life.
My reading life.

lingua
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Maintaining: italiano (B2/C1ish)
Studying: português, Latina
Dabbling: siciliano, Deutsch, français, piemontèis
Abandoned: ไทย, español
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12257

Postby lingua » Sun Jul 07, 2019 3:37 pm

My original goal was to pass the CILS B2 test but I've since postponed that indefinitely since I can't seem to motivate myself to focus on the writing side of things. However, I'm happy with my consistency this year of doing at least 30 minutes a day in Italian.
1 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:
DE: books: 0 / 2500 film: 1654 / 4500
IT: books: 3065 / 5000 film: 5031 / 9000
PT: books: 2921 / 5000 film: 5010 / 9000

Output Challenge 2023:
IT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 84 / 3000
PT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 0 / 3000

PT: Read 100 books: 28 / 100

sporedandroid
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (heritage/intermediate), Hebrew (A2-B1)

Postby sporedandroid » Sun Jul 07, 2019 6:14 pm

My goals were fairly vague, so I did a decent job. My goal was to improve at Hebrew and I did. I think my study habits are far better than they were in January.
0 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Am. English (N), German, French, ASL (abandoned), Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Japanese (N2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12230

Postby golyplot » Tue Jul 09, 2019 3:10 pm

I didn't make any explicit resolutions, but so far, I've been following my vague plans for the year pretty closely, at least when it comes to language learning. My non-language goals are significantly delayed, which might cause issues later in the year.
0 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Postby Iversen » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:47 pm

I never make new year's resolutions, but I have done one unpledged thing from new year 2018/19 and onwards: I have stopped visiting HTLAL. It was like visiting a graveyard or your old school yard - pointless and depressing. On the other hand I have made one solemn early spring 2019 resolution: NEVER again submitting a proposal or participating in a Polyglot gathering (at least not as long as the current junta is in charge of it). And once I have taken such a decision like that I stick to it.
3 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”