How many languages can you speak at B2 or higher?

General discussion about learning languages

How many languages can you speak at B2 or higher?

18%
36%
23%
9%
2%
3%
2%
2%
No votes
4%

Total votes: 95

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Re: How many languages can you speak at B2 or higher?

Postby Serpent » Tue Jul 02, 2019 5:03 pm

I haven't voted either. I'm confident about three, and with a bit of preparation I would pass it in two or three more.

I quite like the focus on "can do", rather than the purely linguistic skills (though I'm pretty sure you need to use the verb "to be" correctly to pass A1 and to use the subjunctive or its equivalent to pass B2). The topics indeed match a typical class rather than things an experienced learner might do from the beginning. This also means you're not B2 if you can deal with difficult technical topics but have major gaps in your everyday vocabulary.
4 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

Systematiker
Blue Belt
Languages: ENG (N); DEU (C2+) // SWG (~C1); BAR (~C1); SPA (4/3); FRA (~C1); SCO (~C1); NLD (~B2*); LAT (Latinum Bavaricum); GRC (Graecum Bavaricum); CAT (~B2*); POR (~B2*); SWE (~B2*); HBO (Hebraicum); DAN (~B1*); RUS (~A2); KOR (~A1); FAS (still a raw beginner)
*Averaged for high receptive skill
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7332

Re: How many languages can you speak at B2 or higher?

Postby Systematiker » Wed Jul 24, 2019 4:08 pm

Skynet wrote:
Hashimi wrote:I didn't expect that more than 10% can speak 6+ languages at B2 level.

By the way, who are those four hyperglots who answered 10 other than tarvos? (I knew that he speaks more than 10, but I didn't know that he speaks them at this level or higher. This is really impressive!)

From memory, I can recall Tarvos, Systematiker and Iverson. Iverson has been at it for decades, so that makes sense, but how did Tarvos and Sytematiker do it?

Edit:
@Hashimi, I just saw responses from Systematiker and Iverson after posting the above. I too am highly envious (and thus motivated) by El Forastero's four-foreign-languages-at-C1 feat! Impressive! @Hashimi, which languages do you learn?

Started as an adult, mostly, needed one quite well, had to do the ancient ones at uni. Lots of time around people from different language communities, and lots of desire to access those communities and encouragement from those people. It helps that it was also a good escape from academic work. Borderline eidetic memory does too, to be honest.

Most everything else in the range was low-hanging fruit after I got what I had necessity for, if you look at what’s related. Long-delayed response, sorry.
2 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”