Blind people and listening comprehension

General discussion about learning languages
Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Re: Blind people and listening comprehension

Postby Serpent » Thu Aug 20, 2015 3:37 pm

I've had luck even with normal speed audiobooks :D accelerated or deliberately suboptimal audio is also interesting ;)
1 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

sfuqua
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Bad English: native
Samoan: speak, but rusty
Tagalog: imperfect, but use all the time
Spanish: read
French: read some
Japanese: beginner, obsessively studying
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=9248

Postby sfuqua » Thu Aug 20, 2015 10:01 pm

It doesn't seem that there is any one source of information that covers how fast one can eventually learn to process language. It seems that even without training native speakers have little loss of comprehension of audiobooks at 210 wpm. It isn't as comfortable, but the comprehension is there. I imagine that one could easily get used to it.
I don't know if this would improve comprehension at normal speeds, but it suggests that it may be useful just to increase the amount of input one gets...
0 x
荒海や佐渡によこたふ天の川

the rough sea / stretching out towards Sado / the Milky Way
Basho[1689]

Sometimes Japanese is just too much...

steyyan
Orange Belt
Languages: NO, en, de, es, nl, fr, ja

Postby steyyan » Fri Aug 21, 2015 9:00 am

I personally don't think there's anything to it; they just practice listening to their TTS software at higher speeds until they are able to understand it. That way, they can have their texts read aloud without anyone else "eavesdropping" on them.

I know a few blind people (am severly visually impaired, attend gatherings semi-often), and they did it that way. When listening to audibooks etc. they seem to prefer normal speed though, or at least, those I know do.

EDIT: I have tried to speed up youtube videos on some occasions, and I had no problems understanding German sped up to 200% (when spoken clearly into a microphone, never tried it with TV shows that have lotss of ambient noise and so forth), even thout it's my third language.
1 x

robarb
White Belt
Languages: English (N), Portuguese (~N), French, Spanish, Swedish, Esperanto, Italian, German, Dutch, Mandarin, Danish, Norwegian, Latin (b), Greek (b), Nepali (b), Polish (b), Japanese (b), Cantonese (b), Hebrew (b), Korean (b)

Postby robarb » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:00 pm

For me, my native English at 200% speed poses no problem for understanding the language if the original was something spoken slowly and clearly, like an audiobook or a lecture. The real problem is following the content. I may be able to read for content at a similar or faster speed, but that's because I can skim, backtrack, and adjust my speed. When listening, your minimum, maximum, and average speed are all the same. So I find I can only handle 200% speed audio when I'm quite familiar with the content.

It is definitely true that you get better at this kind of thing if your brain doesn't have to deal with vision. Both because there are brain resources that would have otherwise been left idle, and because you spend more of your life attending to and training the auditory abilities. I would imagine, though, that there are also plenty of blind people who aren't good at listening to audiobooks really fast, just as there are plenty of sighted people who aren't good at reading at all.
0 x

rdearman
Site Admin
Languages: English (N)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1836

Postby rdearman » Fri Aug 21, 2015 5:07 pm

I was told back when I was being taught to be a trainer, that people can understand ~250-300 words per minute, but the average speaking speed can be anywhere from 70 to 130 words per minute. This is why people get bored during lectures, you are talking at way below the level their brain can take in information.
0 x
: 0 / 150 Read 150 books in 2024

My YouTube Channel
The Autodidactic Podcast
My Author's Newsletter

I post on this forum with mobile devices, so excuse short msgs and typos.

Return to “General Language Discussion”