Reasonable learning approach?

General discussion about learning languages
siouxchief
Yellow Belt
Languages: Learning French

Reasonable learning approach?

Postby siouxchief » Tue Jun 04, 2019 6:51 am

Hi all,

Just want to check with the experts on here if they think this is a reasonable learning approach. This guy recommends learning a language with these 4 steps. This isn't a learn a language quick scheme just the suggested steps.

1. Familiarize yourself with the basics with for example a Paul Noble audio course
2. Listen to the language whilst simultaneously having the English and say French visible to you and build up the ability to understand say 2 hours of French audio without text
3. Speak to real people or a tutor
4. Delve into grammar in greater detail

His video on this is here: https://youtu.be/l8SrQDPuDBQ and he goes into greater detail on step 2 here: https://youtu.be/DLkig27U7Zs

To be honest I've finished Paul Noble and have started step 2 and I do seem to be improving my vocab, listening ability and some reading doing step 2.

One interesting thing he says about step 2 is to read and understand the audio in English (or native) well before you listen to the French so you know the gist of it. I am kinda flexible with this and prefer only reading it when I'm stuck with the audio so I can see if I've progressed but what do you think of that suggestion?

Thanks
0 x

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Re: Reasonable learning approach?

Postby iguanamon » Tue Jun 04, 2019 1:47 pm

Welcome to the forum, siouxchief. While I think this is a reasonable approach, I don't believe it is the most optimal method for a monolingual learner of their first language. I believe adding into the mix a good beginner's textbook/audio course, along with those methods cited, would serve you well in developing a good foundation in the language.
3 x

siouxchief
Yellow Belt
Languages: Learning French

Re: Reasonable learning approach?

Postby siouxchief » Wed Jun 05, 2019 9:29 am

Thanks for the reply, much appreciated. Trying my best to find my own personal path to get through this. I need to spend less time researching and more time doing!!
2 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”