Practicing one language improving other languages

General discussion about learning languages
sporedandroid
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (heritage/intermediate), Hebrew (A2-B1)

Practicing one language improving other languages

Postby sporedandroid » Fri May 24, 2019 11:28 pm

I remember that back when I was studying Icelandic it seemed like I found it easier to understand other dialects in Spanish. Before studying Icelandic I had trouble with dialects that were too foreign to me.
5 x

Iversen
Black Belt - 4th Dan
Languages: Monolingual travels in Danish, English, German, Dutch, Swedish, French, Portuguese, Spanish, Catalan, Italian, Romanian and (part time) Esperanto
Ahem, not yet: Norwegian, Afrikaans, Platt, Scots, Russian, Serbian, Bulgarian, Albanian, Greek, Latin, Irish, Indonesian and a few more...
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1027

Re: Practicing one language improving other languages

Postby Iversen » Sat May 25, 2019 1:41 pm

This is actually a quite clever observation, and I think you are right. Studying one language is like training a mental 'language awareness muscle', and the strength of that power can in principle be applied to other languages and dialects. Sometimes you can also learn things in one language that can be directly applied to another language - like a sound from language A which reminds you of something that is found in some, but not all dialects of language B. Or recurring sentence patterns. But the general 'muscle training' is probably more important if the languages aren't very closely related -as with Icelandic versus Spanish.

Here in the Nordic countries it is generally assumed that the Norwegians are better at understanding Danish and Swedish than the other two nationalities are at understanding each other. Part of the explanation could be the Norwegians proudly speak a bewildering array of dialects, and that makes them more flexible in understanding the vagaries of other languages.

Another slightly related observation is that it sometimes helps to take a short pause with a language - and then return to it. I have observed that when I do this then I feel like I'm coming home when I return to language B, and my bad conscience is immediately relieved of an embarassing burden. And when you feel happy you are more likely to learn.
13 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Am. English (N), German, French, ASL (abandoned), Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Japanese (N2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12230

Postby golyplot » Sat May 25, 2019 4:14 pm

Sometimes I suspect the pause effect is just because after a break you go from being disappointed at the things you don't understand to being amazed at the things you still do understand.
1 x

sporedandroid
Blue Belt

Postby sporedandroid » Sat May 25, 2019 10:32 pm

Iversen wrote:This is actually a quite clever observation, and I think you are right. Studying one language is like training a mental 'language awareness muscle', and the strength of that power can in principle be applied to other languages and dialects. Sometimes you can also learn things in one language that can be directly applied to another language - like a sound from language A which reminds you of something that is found in some, but not all dialects of language B. Or recurring sentence patterns. But the general 'muscle training' is probably more important if the languages aren't very closely related -as with Icelandic versus Spanish.

Here in the Nordic countries it is generally assumed that the Norwegians are better at understanding Danish and Swedish than the other two nationalities are at understanding each other. Part of the explanation could be the Norwegians proudly speak a bewildering array of dialects, and that makes them more flexible in understanding the vagaries of other languages.

Another slightly related observation is that it sometimes helps to take a short pause with a language - and then return to it. I have observed that when I do this then I feel like I'm coming home when I return to language B, and my bad conscience is immediately relieved of an embarassing burden. And when you feel happy you are more likely to learn.

Yeah. It seems like ever since I started learning languages on my own I’ve had a better ear for languages. I’ve noticed the pausing effect with music as well. If I take a few days off, I’ll end up playing better.
3 x

MorkTheFiddle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N). Read (only) French and Spanish. Studying Ancient Greek. Studying a bit of Latin. Once studied Old Norse. Dabbled in Catalan, Provençal and Italian.
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 11#p133911

Postby MorkTheFiddle » Mon May 27, 2019 11:30 pm

sporedandroid wrote:Yeah. It seems like ever since I started learning languages on my own I’ve had a better ear for languages. I’ve noticed the pausing effect with music as well. If I take a few days off, I’ll end up playing better.

Agreed. Recently I listened extensively to 100 hours of dubbed French American TV programming. My listening comprehension improved a lot in French, but it also improved some in Spanish, too. And although I play very little music, I find something similar occurs in that area, soo.
4 x
Many things which are false are transmitted from book to book, and gain credit in the world. -- attributed to Samuel Johnson

Jean-Luc
Orange Belt
Languages: French (N), English & German (C), Italian & Spanish (B), Russian, Chinese, Croatian (A)

Postby Jean-Luc » Tue May 28, 2019 6:28 am

Yes! Similarities, brain plasticity... help but improving each time our "language strategies" has a strong effect too!
2 x

lavengro
Blue Belt
Languages: Taking a siesta from this site for the rest of 2024.

Postby lavengro » Tue May 28, 2019 4:40 pm

sporedandroid wrote:I remember that back when I was studying Icelandic it seemed like I found it easier to understand other dialects in Spanish. Before studying Icelandic I had trouble with dialects that were too foreign to me.

I am pretty sure this is just the result of a protective function on the part of your brain: absolutely desperate to do anything to avoid having to deal with more unpleasant study sessions of unfathomable Icelandic, your brain is highly motivated to knock Spanish into shape and make it easier for you than it was before, in an defensive manoeuvre to tempt you back to Spanish and away from the incomprehensible land of fire and ice.

The brain is, after all, the smartest part of your body....
0 x
This signature space now dedicated to Vancouver's best - but least known - two person female power rock band:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnbymC_M1AY, ,https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Av4S6u83a0, , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ARPYVYE6Vc

sporedandroid
Blue Belt

Postby sporedandroid » Wed May 29, 2019 3:44 am

lavengro wrote:
sporedandroid wrote:I remember that back when I was studying Icelandic it seemed like I found it easier to understand other dialects in Spanish. Before studying Icelandic I had trouble with dialects that were too foreign to me.

I am pretty sure this is just the result of a protective function on the part of your brain: absolutely desperate to do anything to avoid having to deal with more unpleasant study sessions of unfathomable Icelandic, your brain is highly motivated to knock Spanish into shape and make it easier for you than it was before, in an defensive manoeuvre to tempt you back to Spanish and away from the incomprehensible land of fire and ice.

Why does everyone think Icelandic is so hard? The only reason I quit was because I lacked resources and study habits.
1 x

lavengro
Blue Belt
Languages: Taking a siesta from this site for the rest of 2024.

Postby lavengro » Wed May 29, 2019 6:35 pm

sporedandroid wrote:
lavengro wrote:

Why does everyone think Icelandic is so hard? The only reason I quit was because I lacked resources and study habits.

Fair enough - now that I think about it, I have encountered hundreds of people, including children, who seemed to have had no problem at all picking up the language fluently. Though now that I think about it some more, they were all without exception Íslendingar.

However, I stand by my other statement: I've done the math on this, and the brain definitely is the smartest part of one's body.
2 x
This signature space now dedicated to Vancouver's best - but least known - two person female power rock band:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnbymC_M1AY, ,https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Av4S6u83a0, , https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ARPYVYE6Vc

Return to “General Language Discussion”