Understanding an Australian Band

General discussion about learning languages
Spol
Languages: Italian (N), English (Advanced), I understand Spanish and French, studying Russian and Norwegian

Understanding an Australian Band

Postby Spol » Sun May 19, 2019 11:13 am

Hi there I've always had an interest in understanding dialects and slangs in Languages, especially in English.
I also really like listening to music and I've stumbled upon this Australian celtic punk band which uses a lot of words and expressions I can't fully understand...so I thought I should've opened a topic on a forum to discuss about this since there are no interpretations of the songs on the internet.
I'd like to say that i've always considered the comprehension and translation of these type of texts the best practice for learning a language, so I'd like to read what you think about that :mrgreen: .
Let's take this song for example:

Well I've come here for the gargle, not tae cop a blast
Ye great thick headit ape, I'll stick yer chin right out yer ar*e
Come lookin' for your pound o' flesh, but I've got nothin' left
Cause Christian Brothers & Brides o' Christ've flogged me half to death
Suck on this ye Succubus, your star'll never rise
Ye've the smell o' death about your breath & bullet holes for eyes
I wish that I were sober, the day I made you mine
Oh pull the piggin door behind ye, thank you for your time
Bastards! A shower o' pricks, the likes ye've never known
Rake em, break em, Devil may take em, down to Hell below
Oh as I set out on my way all naked and alone
Guard my back, guide me forth & bring me safely home
Geez half a life, a decent wife, my share o' love & trust
And when I'm gone, the long & restful slumber of the just
They'll ride ye to the gates o' Hell, drive ye to the brew
'til every penny's splashin' off the wall against your shoe
Ye'll get yer feed o' spurs & a few choice f*ckin' words
Then its back to picks & shovels, cause that's all they'll let ye do

The expression and words in red i can understand but not fully.
The underlined expression I can't interpret.
The Blue expression are the ones that I'm most interested about cause they seem to me like local and cultural expressions.
I'd also like to read from you your personal interpretation of the song in general, since also that is ambiguous to me.

Hope this is an interest topic, and hope to hear from an Australian about the matter ahhahahah.

If you like the topic then I can open new ones in the future about other songs from other countries :D
1 x

golyplot
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Am. English (N), German, French, ASL (abandoned), Spanish, Dutch, Italian, Japanese (N2)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12230

Re: Understanding an Australian Band

Postby golyplot » Sun May 19, 2019 3:12 pm

I'm American, not Australian, but I can understand a few of the phrases you underlined.

thick headit ape = thick headed ape
"pound of flesh" is an allusion to The Merchant of Venice. It's a common idiom in American English as well.
"Suck on this ye Succubus, your star'll never rise" seems pretty self explanatory to me. The speaker is calling the listener a succubus and expressing defiance and telling them that they will never succeed.
"prick" is slang that literally means penis but more generally refers to a person you don't like (jerk, asshole, etc.)
"geez" is an exclamation that originally comes from "Jesus"
1 x

vonPeterhof
Blue Belt
Languages: Russian (N), English (C2), Japanese (~C1), German (~B2), Kazakh (~B1), Norwegian (~A2)
Studying: Kazakh, Mandarin, Coptic
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=1237

Postby vonPeterhof » Sun May 19, 2019 3:33 pm

The band may be Australian, but the way the words are written (and especially the way they're pronounced) suggests that they were trying to affect a more Scottish sound. Not being Scottish I can't judge how good a job they're doing, but based on my experience reading Irvine Welsh novels I'm pretty sure that "Geez" in this case is actually supposed to be "Gie us" i.e. "give us" (apparently in colloquial Scots "us" is often used where you'd normally use "me").
4 x

badger
Green Belt
Languages: native: English
intermediate: French
dabbling: Spanish
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... p?p=135580

Postby badger » Sun May 19, 2019 4:20 pm

Well I've come here for the gargle, not tae cop a blast
gargle = drink (alcoholic)
cop a blast = receive (cop) a telling-off (blast)
Ye great thick headit ape, I'll stick yer chin right out yer ar*e
chin right out yer ar*e = punch you so hard your chin will come out of your arse
Cause Christian Brothers & Brides o' Christ've flogged me half to death
Monks and Nuns (probably schoolteachers) have worked me hard
Oh pull the piggin door behind ye, thank you for your time
piggin = pigging = bloody, f*cking, etc.
Bastards! A shower o' pricks, the likes ye've never known
shower = a group, a lot of
'til every penny's splashin' off the wall against your shoe
spent all you money (penny) on alcohol
3 x

Adrianslont
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Learning Indonesian and French

Postby Adrianslont » Mon May 20, 2019 12:12 am

Hi. The posters above have covered most of the underlined bits well.

I’ll add a couple of clarifications and ideas.

In this song “geez” is definitely “give us”. In fact, listening to the song I can’t hear a “z”. And he really means “give me”.

“Every penny splashin’ up against the wall” is a variation on the idiom “to piss it (money/opportunity) up against the wall”. That is, to waste money or opportunity frivolously, usually on alcohol. I think it is originally a British idiom.

“A feed of spurs” is an expression I’ve never heard of before but I’m guessing it means to receive a kicking, probably from overseers of a convict work gang. Spurs are worn on boots for riding purposes.

The song overall? The singer seems to shift the focus of his anger (and maybe even shift time from the contemporary to the colonial convict past) throughout the song. Sometimes it’s not 100% clear to me but I can make some guesses.

At the start he seems to be angry with someone at a pub or a party of some kind for disrupting his good time - he went there for “the gargle”, the drink. It’s unclear to me whether this is another drinker or his wife.

Then there is the rant against the Christian brothers and nuns - this seems to be referencing the recent past to me, rather than the early colony. Catholic schools had a reputation for physical brutality in my childhood.

Then he longs for a good wife and a semi-decent life - “Give us half a ....”

Then he starts ranting against his oppressors again, who this time seem to be overseers in a convict work gang because he mentions “picks and shovels” - but they may just be metaphorical picks and shovels.

I’m Australian and I’m not really into this kind of music in a big way but these guys are good with words and I enjoyed the video. Cheers.
4 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”