Endangered Languages Map

General discussion about learning languages
zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Endangered Languages Map

Postby zenmonkey » Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:50 pm

Welcome to the rabbit hole:

http://www.endangeredlanguages.com/#/4/ ... gh/unknown

Now, find a language near you.
Post here about it.

Walloon is spoken not too far from here. I will be driving through the Liege area on Friday.

In Belgium, Walloon is spoken in the greater part of the province of Liege, in the southern part of the province of Brabant, in the province of Namur, in the northern part of the province of Luxemburg and in the eastern part of the province of Hainaut. In France, it is spoken in the north of the department of Ardennes (town of Givet) by a small number of people, mostly elderly. In Luxembourg, it was formerly spoken in two or three villages (Doncols, Sonlez), where the last speakers died in the 1970s.
5 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

Lianne
Green Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N)
Actively studying: French (low int)
Dabbling in: Italian (beginner), ASL (beginner), Ojibwe (beginner), Swahili (beginner)
Wish list: Swedish, Esperanto, Klingon, Brazilian Portuguese
Has also dabbled in: German, Spanish, toki pona
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... hp?t=12275

Re: Endangered Languages Map

Postby Lianne » Wed Apr 24, 2019 1:43 pm

The closest one to me is Saulteaux (a variety of Ojibwe), which is threatened, with <10,000 speakers. The next one surprised me: Michif, critically endangered, ~200 speakers. Michif is the language of the Métis, who apparently now more often speak Ojibwe, Cree, French, and/or English. I had no idea that Michif was so endangered. :(

An interesting thing about Michif that I just learned from Wikipedia: it's a combination of Cree and French, but unlike most creoles it doesn't simplify things, but rather takes complex things from both languages, suggesting that the people who started speaking it were already fluent in both Cree and French.
4 x
: 3 / 100 French SC (Books)
: 7 / 100 French SC (Films)
: 0 / 50 Italian Half SC (Books)
: 0 / 50 Italian Half SC (Films)

Pronouns: they/them

iguanamon
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Speaks: English (Native); Spanish (C2); Portuguese (C2); Haitian Creole (C1); Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol (C1); Lesser Antilles French Creole (B2)
Studies: Catalan
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=797

Postby iguanamon » Wed Apr 24, 2019 3:27 pm

Any project like this is not going to be able to include all the endangered and vulnerable languages. Closest to me (excluding sign languages) would be Trinidadian French Creole or "Kwéyòl" which is not listed on the site. Trinidad is an officially English-speaking island, but English only made it's way there in the beginning of the 19th Century. Like most Caribbean islands, Trinidad has a cosmopolitan history and population.
Afropedi@ wrote:Trinidadian French Creole is a dying French Creole of Trinidad. It can be found in regional pockets among the elder population. The Trinidadian French Creole would later affect the Trinidadian English Creole (TEC), which took root in the early parts of the 1800s through the early 1900s. It can be found in villages of Paramin and Lopinot. The "Patois" or Trinidadian French Creole was the original language of the calypso. The language of calypso was changed to English to appeal to North American markets. In Tobago, it is found in one region.
In 1777, the Spanish crown invited other Europeans to Trinidad. The French immigrated the most. They came from neighboring islands of Guadeloupe, Grenada, Haiti, and Martinique. Tobago was also a French Territory. Eventually, the French language overtook the Spanish language as the most spoken language on the island. By 1797 most of the plantation owners were French. In that same year, the English annexed the territory.

Trinidadian Kwéyòl is based on Martinique Kréyòl but has more influence and flavor from Spanish, English and Amerindian languages than some of the other islands' Kreyòl. For anyone interested, here is an interesting article on the history of the language from Montray Kreyòl. According to this article there is some hope the language may escape extinction.

I am surprised the map doesn't list Ladino/Djudeo-espanyol in Turkey, which is a dying language spoken mainly by the remaining elderly Jewish population. There are maybe 70,000 speakers left in the world according to most estimates. Still, it's important to shine the light on vulnerable and dying languages. When they disappear, it leaves us and the world a poorer, less diverse, place.
Last edited by iguanamon on Wed Apr 24, 2019 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4 x

eido
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Spanish (C1)

Postby eido » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:15 pm

iguanamon wrote:Any project like this is not going to be able to include all the endangered and vulnerable languages.

What would be a way we could include more? I'd like to see a more complete map.

The language closest to me is Jicarilla Apache, but I imagine Ute and its varieties should be in there somewhere, no?
0 x

David1917
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N)
Professional Level: Russian, Spanish

Postby David1917 » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:19 pm

The closest to me is the East Cherokee spoken in what is currently North Carolina.
0 x

languist
Orange Belt
Learning: Mostly, how to procrastinate + French, Spanish, Darija, Russian, Slovak, Circassian, Greek
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... =15&t=7523

Postby languist » Wed Apr 24, 2019 4:43 pm

Being from Ireland, I wasn’t surprised to see that Irish is one of my closest endangered languages - although the little red dot is quite saddening. It did surprise me however to see “Shelta” marked, a word which I’ve never heard before. It turns out it’s the cant employed by Irish Travellers to avoid being understood by outsiders. I can understand Irish Travellers when they speak, but not consistently, so I wonder if they speak a mixture of this and English when they’re out in public.
2 x

zenmonkey
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - German (B2/C1) on/off study: Persian, Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Postby zenmonkey » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:32 pm

eido wrote:
iguanamon wrote:Any project like this is not going to be able to include all the endangered and vulnerable languages.

What would be a way we could include more? I'd like to see a more complete map.

The language closest to me is Jicarilla Apache, but I imagine Ute and its varieties should be in there somewhere, no?

While it doesn't include everything, you can also add the elements you posted here directly: http://www.endangeredlanguages.com/submit/

The language list needs time to fill but ladino is on the list.
2 x
I am a leaf on the wind, watch how I soar

lingua
Blue Belt
Maintaining: italiano (B2/C1ish)
Studying: português, Latina
Dabbling: siciliano, Deutsch, français, piemontèis
Abandoned: ไทย, español
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=12257

Postby lingua » Thu Apr 25, 2019 4:47 am

I see Piemontese on that list within Italy. That is one I dabbled in last year and plan to return to some day.
0 x
Super Challenge 2022-23:
DE: books: 0 / 2500 film: 1654 / 4500
IT: books: 3065 / 5000 film: 5031 / 9000
PT: books: 2921 / 5000 film: 5010 / 9000

Output Challenge 2023:
IT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 84 / 3000
PT: write: 0 / 50000 record: 0 / 3000

PT: Read 100 books: 28 / 100

Rosewyne
Languages: EN (N) | IT | JP

Postby Rosewyne » Sat Apr 27, 2019 7:03 pm

The closest to me is in Death Valley, the Panamint language, which is a language of the Shoshones that have resided in Death Valley for thousands of years. As of 2007, there are only 20 native speakers of Panamint (aka Timbisha). The language is an Uto-Aztecan language, the same language family as the more well-known Nahuatl which was spoken by the Aztecs in Mexico and still thriving in parts of Mexico.
2 x

Kraut
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: German (N)
French (C)
English (C)
Spanish (A2)
Lithuanian

Postby Kraut » Sun Apr 28, 2019 12:42 am

When after 1945 Germans were expelled from what is now the Kaliningrad Oblast, the death bell had also rung for Prussia's Lithuanian minority. There are about half a million Germans today with Lithuanian surnames, they all descend from those Prussians. Their language, Prussian-Lithuanian, has gone extinct due to the break-up of their language community. It had best preserved the archaic character of the Lithuanian language while the current Lithuanian has seen many modern purges (of Slavic elements) and adaptations.

Grammatiken und Lehrmittel

Daniel Klein: Compendium Lituanico-Germanicum, Oder Kurtze und gantz deutliche Anführung zur Littauischen Sprache. Königsberg 1654 (Digitalisat).
Christian Mielcke: Anfangsgründe einer littauischen Sprachlehre. Königsberg 1800 (Google Books).
Friedrich Kurschat: Beiträge zur Kunde der littauischen Sprache. Erstes Heft: Deutsch-littauische Phraseologie der Präpositionen. Königsberg 1843, Zweites Heft: Laut- und Tonlehre der littauischen Sprache. Königsberg 1849 (Google Books).
August Schleicher: Handbuch der litauischen Sprache. 2 Bde., 1856/57 (Google Books)
Friedrich Kurschat: Grammatik der Littauischen Sprache. Halle 1876 (Digitalisat).
Oskar Wiedemann: Handbuch der litauischen Sprache. Strassburg 1897 (Digitalisat).
Christoph Jurkschat: Kurze deutsche Grammatik oder Sprachlehre für preußische und russische Littauer, sowie Szameiten zum rechten Erlernen der deutschen Sprache. Tilsit 1900 (Digitalisat).
J.Schiekopp / Alexander Kurschat: Litauische Elementar-Grammatik. Tilsit 1901. Teil I: Formenlehre (online). Teil II: Syntax (online).
August Leskien: Litauisches Lesebuch mit Grammatik und Wörterbuch. Heidelberg 1919 (Digitalisat).
Ernst Schwentner: Die Wortfolge im Litauischen. Heidelberg 1922 (online).
Friedrich Becker: Der kleine Littauer. Das Wichtigste aus der Sprachlehre, mehrere alphabetisch geordnete Wortregister und 200 Sprichworte. Zum Anfangsgebrauch bei Erlernung der littauischen Umgangssprache für verschiedene Geschäftsverhältnisse. Tilsit 1866 (online).
Jonas Pipirs: Lithauische Sprachlehre mit Berücksichtigung des Selbstunterrichts. Erster Theil. Memel 1899(online).
Vydunas (Wilhelm Storost): Vadovas Lietuviû kalbai pramokti. Litauischer Führer zur Erlernung der Anfangsgründe der litauischen Sprache. Tilze (Tilsit) 1912. (online).
Alexander Kurschat: Litauisches Lesebuch. I. Teil. Tilsit 1911. (online). 3. Teil Wörterverzeichnis. Tilsit 1913. (online).
Rudolph Jacoby: Litauische Chrestomathie zum Schulgebrauch. Leipzig 1880. (online).
August Seidel: Grammatik der litauischen Sprache: mit Wörterverzichnissen und Lesestücken. Wien u. Leipzig 1915.(online).

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Preußisch_Litauen

best preservation of the grammatical Dual forms:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”