Incomplete profiles

General discussion about learning languages
Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Re: Incomplete profiles

Postby Serpent » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:08 am

CarlyD wrote:I'd like if there were a place in Profile to show a statement--possibly like the list that Serpent posted, or just an "about me" type statement. I could list which languages fascinate me--that I might not ever be planning to learn (like Gottscheer) or what goals I have for a particular language.

Is that possible?

For now nobody is preventing you from putting that into your language profile, as Interested: or whatever.

CEFR is great if it's accurate and consistent between the skills. I'm afraid you need to be an experienced learner to know if you're closer to A2 or B1 :lol:
1 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

neofight78
Blue Belt
Languages: English (N), Russian (B2+), Spanish (A0)
Language Log: viewtopic.php?t=833

Postby neofight78 » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:23 am

Sure CEFR levels may not be that accurate, but neither is any other kind of self description. Some people underestimate their skills or overestimate them. Indeed someone may be a brilliant reader but lousy speaker, but again I think if we start to over analyse, it just gets too complicated. If more detail is needed, it simply needs to be discussed on the forum when relevant. I'm not sure that anything other than a rough outline of peoples languages and levels is really that practical or useful, and of course it all should be taken with a pinch of salt.
0 x

Brun Ugle
Black Belt - 2nd Dan
Languages: English (N), Norwegian (~C1/C2), Spanish (B1/B2), German (A2/B1?), Japanese (very rusty)
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... 15&t=11484

Postby Brun Ugle » Thu Aug 13, 2015 6:11 am

If we are talking about the sidebar, then simple is better. I like to see a person's location (mostly just for fun), their native language and what they study with some kind of indication of level. If think it would be too much to have much more than that in the sidebar. However, it could be nice to have some kind of "about me" section in the profile with more information. I think a free text field is fine for that. That way, if you're curious about someone, you can check their profile, but the sidebar won't be too cluttered.
5 x

Serpent
Black Belt - 3rd Dan
Languages: heritage
Russian (native); Belarusian, Polish

fluent or close: Finnish (certified C1), English; Portuguese, Spanish, German, Italian
learning: Croatian+, Ukrainian; Romanian, Galician; Danish, Swedish; Estonian
exploring: Latin, Karelian, Catalan, Dutch, Czech, Latvian

Postby Serpent » Thu Aug 13, 2015 2:08 pm

I basically agree :D It's just easier when longer lists are broken up into more categories :) and i think it's good to indicate your current focus or hit list too :)
0 x
LyricsTraining now has Finnish and Polish :)
Corrections welcome

dampingwire
Blue Belt
Languages: Italian (N), English (N), French (poor, not studying), Japanese (studying, JLPT N3)

Postby dampingwire » Wed Aug 19, 2015 6:17 pm

dampingwire wrote:Ah. Well this is two, so just one more to go.

Hmm. Back from holiday. I really want to fill out a profile, so here goes ...
1 x
新完全マスター N2聴解 : 94 / 103新完全マスター N2読解 : 99 / 177
新完全マスター N2文法 : 197 / 197TY Comp. German : 0 / 389

Hrhenry
Yellow Belt
Languages: Speaks: English (N), Spanish (C2), Italian (C2), Catalan, Galician, Portuguese, Norwegian

Studies: Turkish (B2), Polish, Ojibwe, Indonesian

Postby Hrhenry » Thu Aug 20, 2015 1:05 am

neofight78 wrote:Sure CEFR levels may not be that accurate, but neither is any other kind of self description. Some people underestimate their skills or overestimate them. Indeed someone may be a brilliant reader but lousy speaker, but again I think if we start to over analyse, it just gets too complicated. If more detail is needed, it simply needs to be discussed on the forum when relevant. I'm not sure that anything other than a rough outline of peoples languages and levels is really that practical or useful, and of course it all should be taken with a pinch of salt.

Actually, everything you want is already available (I realize this is a week after your post so maybe it wasn't available when you posted.)

R.
==
0 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”