Any idea what this word is?

General discussion about learning languages
bontymawr
Languages: English, welsh, french

Any idea what this word is?

Postby bontymawr » Sat Mar 16, 2019 6:27 pm

I have a watercolor that has a signature, under the signature, there is something written I am trying to figure out what.

The surname is from the family name, not the marriage surname, the word looks to me like 'generic'. This may make sense if they are showing that the surname is part of their genealogy, genus.

But they are French so wouldn;t they have written 'generique'. They have decendants and roots from Switzerland and many people there spell it as 'generico'. The person also married a Swiss man and had been staying in Switzerland often.

Any ideas?

Here is the image of the word:
0 x

DaveAgain
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: English (native), French & German (learning).
Language Log: https://forum.language-learners.org/vie ... &start=200

Re: Any idea what this word is?

Postby DaveAgain » Sat Mar 16, 2019 8:24 pm

First word: Julia
Second word: Girardet
Third word: Je....?

The third word might logically be the name of the place, or the sitter.
0 x

bontymawr
Languages: English, welsh, french

Re: Any idea what this word is?

Postby bontymawr » Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:44 am

I've had the watercolor since Nov 2018, it was a strange thing on the 8th of March, I had strong feelings that I should find out more about the artwork. During research, I have found out that Julia Girardet passed away on the 8th March 1921, also her father Paul Girardet was born on March 8th 1821. Julia had twin sons and one of them passed away at 30, while the other lived until old age. I had a twin brother who passed away young (5 years ago), and his son was born on March 8th.

I had thought the word may said Jeneva or geneva at one time, but 'Un Bersaglieri a San Remo' translates to 'One of the Bersaglieri in San Remo'. The Bersaglieri were not based in San Remo in 1895, so is Geneva where the watercolor was drawn or was it San Remo?

I have also thought the word may be for the month January, as January is Janvier in French, but it doesn't look correct.

Her surname though marriage is Burnand (husband was the painter Eugene Burnand). She continued to use her family surname of Girardet, this is why I thought that if the word starts with a small g, it could be a reference to the genealogy of the surname she has used.

I have more of Julia's handwriting and some of her artworks. Here are some images to compare with:

1 x

Return to “General Language Discussion”