Memrise is moving our decks to Decks

General discussion about learning languages
zenmonkey
Black Belt - 1st Dan
Languages: Spanish, English, French trilingual - actively studying German (B2/C1), Hebrew, Tibetan, Setswana.
Some knowledge of Italian, Portuguese, Ladino, Yiddish ...
Want to tackle Tzotzil, Nahuatl
Language Log: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=859

Re: Memrise is moving our decks to Decks

Postby zenmonkey » Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:54 am

Cèid Donn wrote:The whole thing is so ridiculous--this has to be about money and monetizing content in a way where they won't be obligated to pay community course creators. That's the only thing that makes any sense.

I don't think it's about paying creators but certainly about money. They aren't obligated to pay anyone now, nor is Anki, nor Wikipedia or even this forum. What you place somewhere for free is managed by their license/copyright statement that you agree upon when using the service.

More likely, they have copyright risk related to existing content and rather than monitor that continuously they are going to port that risk to the new platform. This allows them to have a product that doesn't contain copyright issues and that they can continue to a) distribute on Apple / Google platforms b) look to merge or sell their business to a third party without that risk.

(statement above is speculative not to be considered as fact.)
4 x
Tagged posts: Language Method Resource
Please feel free to correct me in any language, critique my posts, challenge my thoughts.
I am inconsistency incarnate.
Go study! Publisher of Syriac, Aramaic, Hebrew alphabet apps at http://alphabetsnow.zyntx.com

Return to “General Language Discussion”